Coaches votes super interesting:
Mills 10
Amartey 6
McDonald 5
Hayward 4
Florent 2
Parker 2
Gulden 1
Not even going to try to guess which coach voted what!
Mills 5-5
Amartey 3-3
McDonald 4-1
Hayward 0-4
Florent 0-2
Parker 2-0
Gulden 1-0

Added that as an edit but still no certainty which coach voted the 4s for instance, or the 2s. I thought Hayward played a strong team game but 4? Srsly? Must be Mitchell having a stir.
Yeah no idea who was what and there might be another breakdown of what happened. If the plan was for Hayward to stop one of their rebound defenders I could see Longmore giving him 4 but I was shocked to see him in the votes

Different coaches votes!!!!
2a6078cca8ec9d43ee9d51d13c90b1d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Coaches votes are funny cause for the AFLCA award, the votes tend to skew towards the biggest performances, but the Skilton Medal always tends to skew towards system.

Not that we'll ever know, but I bet Florent gets the most Skilton Medal votes for this game.

The reason you guys have got different votes is because Mitchell voted for Will Gould, not Will Hayward. That's why Gulden got adjusted to 5

Private sponsorship is included in the salary cap. Along with payments to family members ( Tom Scilly’s dad was an example) where the Giants had to include amounts paid to him.
They are not included if it is an agreement with the wife not the player. If a non sponsor gives money to a player's wife arranged by the wife's business manager it has nothing to do with the player. These are not agreements that have anything to do with the club. Tom Hawkins wife was bought a boutique in an arrangement made by her business manager. Who provided the cash may never be known but because it had nothing to do with the club, not officially, then it is not part of the salary cap. Tom Scully's father was hired as a recruiter. His salary would have been in the soft cap anyway.

But these payments are not officially anything to do with the club. They are separate agreements made by partners and spouses business managers, who are not linked to any sponsor, sports management group or the club in any way. This is technically legal as it does not involve the player in any way, it only involves his spouse/partner. If no link to the club can be found in an agreement made by the business manager of a spouse or partner then their agreement would not fall into the salary cap. The other point is there is no requirement for a business manager or financial manager of a spouse or partner to declare to the AFL agreements they have with their clients. In actuality, it would be a severe breach of privacy and trust to do so. Therefore, how would the AFL know what agreements spouses or partners have with their financial or business managers anyway

Correct. Every club has an additional services agreement cap on top of the normal salary cap of over $1.2 million. This has been pointed out before.

Heeney is currently appearing in ads for Foxtel for their 4K coverage of the AFL. His payments for that go in the ASA cap.

That is different. A spouse or partner has no obligation to declare their business interests and the AFL cannot require them to do so. Under the Corporations Act it is a crime for a Financial Manager or a Business Manager to provide any information to a non interested party without the permission of the client. The player is not the client. Therefore payments that do not involve the club, the players manager or the player are not required to be declared. Tom Scully's father was a Recruitment officer with GWS. He was paid by the club. technically, his salary should not have come under the cap but under the soft cap.

Jesinta Franklin does not declare her business interests as a part of our salary cap. Nor do any of the spouses or partners.

Really enjoying watching the overlap run develop, and I think we will only get better in this aspect as this season goes on, and over the next couple of years at least.

While we butchered some disposals today, I think you can see a clear step up in quality at times in our play from last year, which at times was already very, very good. We have a lot of players who use the ball well and can hit targets. Some of our targets are still developing per say (in terms of the big forwards post Buddy), but you can really see the building understanding between many of them.

One guy I want to give a huge wrap to is Florent - he was good last week and very good today. Feel very calm when he has ball in hand most of the time, and his decision making continues to improve.

I also like having Harry C up forward to. Like him down back, but think he brings some good pressure into the forward line that will be needed with the big guys up front.

And McDonald is going to be a superstar - the guy has class marked all over him :)

Great day out at the footy smashing the hawks!
Don't discount Amartey either. He was on managed minutes because of his late start to the season. But he kicked 4 first half goals. I think he will only get better. Next week we will have him as second ruck I think. Hayden was a bit iffy yesterday. Seemed to have a case of the fumbles and was not getting to contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** I love him
If you're able I recommend you catch the chat afterwards from On the Couch. Was an interesting insight to how they saw it.

My first thought was - this is why you don't strip back your team to the bone. This sort of leadership and ability to concentrate while instructing in the heat of a game is worth its weight in gold.

Private sponsorship is included in the salary cap. Along with payments to family members ( Tom Scilly’s dad was an example) where the Giants had to include amounts paid to him.
It's only private sponsorship deals that are KNOWN that go into the cap.
Deals done such as home renovations being done and paid for by the likes of Cotton On don't get put into the cap. Wives being paid $100K for "in theory" being employed by supported companies do not get put into the cap. And it goes on and on with Geelong.

Don't discount Amartey either. He was on managed minutes because of his late start to the season. But he kicked 4 first half goals. I think he will only get better. Next week we will have him as second ruck I think. Hayden was a bit iffy yesterday. Seemed to have a case of the fumbles and was not getting to contests.
I was very happy with what Amartey showed. I don't rate any ruck work from him much, but I do think he has potential to really get around the ground and influence in a way that Maclean probably can't.

If either of them could find a way to influence play upfield in the same way Buddy can, or indeed McDonald increasingly is, then we will be in a super solid position going forward in that regard. Not sure either are quite good enough, but I like both players and keen to see them get plenty of chances this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back