Autopsy 2023 Round 02 Swans beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

She must be Internet Famous because I have never heard of or seen a Sydney Sweeney anywhere in my life.
I don't think she is mainstream famous. But I had actually seen two of her tv shows. So I did recognise who she was.

She was in "Euphoria" which was a risque teen high school drama. And saw her in "The White Lotus" which was a 6 episode limited series.

Coaches votes are funny cause for the AFLCA award, the votes tend to skew towards the biggest performances, but the Skilton Medal always tends to skew towards system.

Not that we'll ever know, but I bet Florent gets the most Skilton Medal votes for this game.
Another really solid game from Ollie. Florent has consistently improved his game pretty much year on year. He's never had the significant breakout year that we've seen from a few others, like Gulden, Stephens, Warner and Rowie, but nor has he needed to.

Other comments on what was a very pleasing show on thee weekend:

Great to see Cunningham streaming through the guts with pace. I'd almost forgotten he used to roam free, using his pace and hard running. I wonder if there was always a plan to place Harry as a small pressure forward after a few years honing his defensive craft down back. He wouldn't be the first to do an apprenticeship in defence. Horse is pretty big on making sure our players know how to defend, above all. For a team that relies heavily on scoring from turnovers, defence remains the starting point for much of our attack.

Kudos for the Lizard for getting his confidence up and having a crack. A big mark and a couple of big runs.

Campbell continues to be more assured, using his bigger body in the contest, using his pace and breaking games open with that left foot.

Amartey & McDonald really stood up as Franklin and Reid watched from the stands. It really felt like we were taking a glimpse into the future. Hawks may be easy prey but it was still good to see such a performance with our two main guys from 2022 sitting it out.

Ladhams a good game without being spectacular. Good to see him reining in his aggression to avoid a dangerous tackle. I hope he can stay free of the red mist.

Papley - you're a bloody clown mate, but you had me laughing. I got the feeling the boys enjoyed being back on the SCG. It was a chance to make some amends to their fans for the GF loss in the only way they know how to, with a bloody good game.

Mills led from the front again. He's really grown into the role of a natural leader. I feel Rampe and Parker are more like his VCs. I think this will become even more apparent over the next couple of years.

Felt a bit sorry for McLean, overshadowed by his teammates. I feel he lacks pace and needs to get to more contests. He was doing backup ruck duties though, as Horse tries to fill the Reid shaped hole.

I still pinch myself that Gulden is only 20. He (and now also McDonald) has turned into skilled confident solid young man, rather than a skilled teen.

I hope Amartey can continue in this rich vein of form. Buddy may need to be rested quite a bit this year!

Pressure level was great despite a limp opposition. Clearly the message has been to bring it every game, every quarter, though it was fair eenough to drop off in the last quarter given we have Melbourne up next. That will be our first test.

Where are we going to fit all the guys still to come back? Could Fox, one of our best in the GF, be unable to get a game? Personally, I'd give him a run in the guts. A big bodied mid with great speed, good disposal and safe hands. His passes inside 50 are usually sublime and he gets back to defend quickly.

Should I know who that is? (Says the old bloke.) Looks like his sister.

The buzz for my friends and I in attendance was for Sydney Sweeney, but when I was chatting about it at work they were much more impressed with Caroline Kennedy (US Ambassador and JFK's daughter) being in attendance. Different generations.

So no, you're okay if you don't know who Sydney Sweeney is.

Another really solid game from Ollie. Florent has consistently improved his game pretty much year on year. He's never had the significant breakout year that we've seen from a few others, like Gulden, Stephens, Warner and Rowie, but nor has he needed to.

Other comments on what was a very pleasing show on thee weekend:

Great to see Cunningham streaming through the guts with pace. I'd almost forgotten he used to roam free, using his pace and hard running. I wonder if there was always a plan to place Harry as a small pressure forward after a few years honing his defensive craft down back. He wouldn't be the first to do an apprenticeship in defence. Horse is pretty big on making sure our players know how to defend, above all. For a team that relies heavily on scoring from turnovers, defence remains the starting point for much of our attack.

Kudos for the Lizard for getting his confidence up and having a crack. A big mark and a couple of big runs.

Campbell continues to be more assured, using his bigger body in the contest, using his pace and breaking games open with that left foot.

Amartey & McDonald really stood up as Franklin and Reid watched from the stands. It really felt like we were taking a glimpse into the future. Hawks may be easy prey but it was still good to see such a performance with our two main guys from 2022 sitting it out.

Ladhams a good game without being spectacular. Good to see him reining in his aggression to avoid a dangerous tackle. I hope he can stay free of the red mist.

Papley - you're a bloody clown mate, but you had me laughing. I got the feeling the boys enjoyed being back on the SCG. It was a chance to make some amends to their fans for the GF loss in the only way they know how to, with a bloody good game.

Mills led from the front again. He's really grown into the role of a natural leader. I feel Rampe and Parker are more like his VCs. I think this will become even more apparent over the next couple of years.

Felt a bit sorry for McLean, overshadowed by his teammates. I feel he lacks pace and needs to get to more contests. He was doing backup ruck duties though, as Horse tries to fill the Reid shaped hole.

I still pinch myself that Gulden is only 20. He (and now also McDonald) has turned into skilled confident solid young man, rather than a skilled teen.

I hope Amartey can continue in this rich vein of form. Buddy may need to be rested quite a bit this year!

Pressure level was great despite a limp opposition. Clearly the message has been to bring it every game, every quarter, though it was fair eenough to drop off in the last quarter given we have Melbourne up next. That will be our first test.

Where are we going to fit all the guys still to come back? Could Fox, one of our best in the GF, be unable to get a game? Personally, I'd give him a run in the guts. A big bodied mid with great speed, good disposal and safe hands. His passes inside 50 are usually sublime and he gets back to defend quickly.
You nailed the difficulty for Fox, Wicks, Clarke (remember him?), Reid, Gould, Francis, Sheldrick, Amartey, McLean, Roberts. All good enough, some with significant runs on the board, but this is what happens with depth. Difficult to give any of the new guys a taste if you can't find a slot for a solid player like Gould!
We fans will all cry "but what about.....?" while the Match Committee works through it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean if there was any club I thought we would win the clearances against it was Hawthorn given how young their mids are but we still lost comfortably. It is the one flaw that I worry could cost us winning a flag in the next few years.
I'm pretty sure that Hawthorn, in their most recent heyday, never won the clearances either. I'd rather keep winning the points for than the clearances.

I'm pretty sure that Hawthorn, in their most recent heyday, never won the clearances either. I'd rather keep winning the points for than the clearances.
I can't remember a clearance on the weekend that was dominant and dangerous from the Hawks. Often the clearance state could be a sideways kick to space or a forward dribbling kick that immediately goes back the other way. Not sure if an "effective clearance stat exists but if it does i think it would tell a different story.

You nailed the difficulty for Fox, Wicks, Clarke (remember him?), Reid, Gould, Francis, Sheldrick, Amartey, McLean, Roberts. All good enough, some with significant runs on the board, but this is what happens with depth. Difficult to give any of the new guys a taste if you can't find a slot for a solid player like Gould!
We fans will all cry "but what about.....?" while the Match Committee works through it.
I agree, but say this during pre-season when people want to fit about 32 different players into a line-up of 22, and you get your head bitten off.

The coaches were always going to go for stability, while the recent years' draftees were always going to be struggling to get a look-in with a team potentially contending for top four.

I agree, but say this during pre-season when people want to fit about 32 different players into a line-up of 22, and you get your head bitten off.

The coaches were always going to go for stability, while the recent years' draftees were always going to be struggling to get a look-in with a team potentially contending for top four.
With good depth comes the risk/likelihood of good players seeking opportunity elsewhere. Reckon we'll lose a couple this year. Probably players we don't really want to lose. Not enough retirements to create enough draft spots. Tough.

I can't remember a clearance on the weekend that was dominant and dangerous from the Hawks. Often the clearance state could be a sideways kick to space or a forward dribbling kick that immediately goes back the other way. Not sure if an "effective clearance stat exists but if it does i think it would tell a different story.
I feel like the AFL industry needs to start again with its stats - so many are silly.

Possessions only being counted if you dispose of the ball. Disposals ignoring tap ons and other smart plays. Clearances including scrambles along the ground losing territory. Effective disposals including long bombs down the wing to a short player marked by a resting ruck.

slightly disappointed for not smashin em by 100 plus. also we kind of rushed with the ball at times and just lacked in skill and creativity that smoothness we are capable of.

a solid win nonetheless! good intensity and pressure. love it when we show a mix of players all combining in attack.

sweet % boost. stoked to see red and white all around amazing turn out to a one sided game

next is a big game v dees lets hope we hit our A game and rip through em to make it 3 from 3 😊😍

With good depth comes the risk/likelihood of good players seeking opportunity elsewhere. Reckon we'll lose a couple this year. Probably players we don't really want to lose. Not enough retirements to create enough draft spots. Tough.
Yeah, there's a tricky middle ground between when we're good enough that fringe players and newbs struggle to get a game and being so damn good that those wanting a premiership medal to round out their career are drawn to the club like houseflies to a horse's eyeball.

I think our first Premiership over the next few years will come from the organic growth of our current bunch of young(ish) guys. They're improving every year as individual players and getting more experienced playing together as a team. Some of our overlap run on the weekend was as slick as I've seen. We might even get one or two more flags before our oldest players have all retired. Hopefully by then our reputation as a destination club will be enough to lure mature talent from other clubs to the bright lights of Sin City*.

* The AFL may still elect to ban us from recruiting any champs on a long contract based on some imagined transgression. Why? Because they're the AFL and we're Sydney. Unlikely? Nuh, they have form.

ps. Still not over the twin injustices of the trading ban and the 2016 GF.

I recall cursing a couple of centre bounces where Ladhams won the tap but it went straight to the opposition and then inside 50. I know winning stoppage clearances isn't as important as pressure and creating turnovers but if the opposition can get an inside 50 and lock it in we're in trouble. I'd be more relaxed if we were more competitive at stoppages

I don't think she is mainstream famous. But I had actually seen two of her tv shows. So I did recognise who she was.

She was in "Euphoria" which was a risque teen high school drama. And saw her in "The White Lotus" which was a 6 episode limited series.
Had to Google her but at 25 she's done quite a lot, including a Tarantino movie. A proper actor. She took a bunch of photos with lots of the boys and looks as happy as a puppy in a room full of bones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back