Preview 2023 Round 19 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Sunday, July 23, 1.10 pm AEST, @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
At the start of this season, no media pundit had GWS close to making finals. After last year, and a coach change, that seemed entirely reasonable. Even after the first 10 rounds of this season when we were 3-7 it seemed an impossible reach. But after last night, GWS is on the cusp of the top 8, is the only team sitting on a 5-win streak, and our destiny is in our own hands with the run to September. The game against Adelaide was typical of the team this year - up against the odds (with some missing personnel, away), not getting everything right, but scrapping hard and never losing faith in the system and each other.

For the last two weeks, the midfield lowered their colours to the opposition, and missing Tom Green and Finn Callaghan was going to make the contested battle even harder to win. Last night was a see-saw battle, as first Giants, then Crows got on top, before the Giants' mids wrestled supremacy back in the final quarter. We lost the centre clearances 6-11, which remains a worry, but won clearances elsewhere 37-27 to ensure an even flow of ball. Kelly fought off this week's tag to be dominant (28 disposals), while Cogs was prominent in the first and last quarters, when we played our best. Briggs was good again, despite losing the hitouts 30-44, he grabbed 7 clearances (against 2 for his opposing ruck) and made 4 tackles.

The defence is really where we made a statement, though. It looked shaky in the first few minutes when Walker passed off to Laird for the first goal, then marked in front of Sam Taylor (and arrogantly shoved him) and goaled. But after a second goal early in the second quarter, Walker was held goalless, indeed touchless for the second half, as Slammer got on top. Sam played 100% of the game, took 16 intercepts, including 5 intercept marks, 2 contested marks, and 8 one-percenters. All of the defenders were superb, with Buckley 11 one-percenters/4 intercepts, Idun 8 one-percenters/6 intercepts, Whitfield 12 intercepts, Cumming 8 intercepts/5 one-percenters all blotting out Crows' attacks and starting the rebound.

Next up is another 8-point game, against fellow finals aspirant Gold Coast in Manuka. Like us, the Suns had a slow start, and similarly started getting better mid-way through the season. The edged ahead of us on the ladder, until the last three weeks where losses to the top 2 teams saw them axe their coach. They got a "dead-coach bounce" this round, beating St Kilda - who have had their own issues - and are hopeful of making finals for the first time. This is where our destiny is in our own hands - this team is around our level: on home soil, we need to be beating them to both improve our ladder position and keep them at bay.

Suns do have a solid team across the park. A good midfield led by an excellent ruckman: Witts, Miller, Anderson, Rowell with Powell and Flanders surging. Bailey Humphries in his first year is showing something special, both in midfield and up forward. They have a good tall forward line in King, Lukosius and Casboult, and their tall defence in Collins and Ballard is also going well. They will not be an easy nut to crack, and we certainly cannot take them lightly. GWS must at least halve the midfield battle - and without Tom Green again I hope that Finn Callaghan is available (and fully fit) to help out. Our defence is likely where we'll have the edge: if Taylor and co can replicate what they've done as a team for these past five weeks, we'll be able to blunt any attack and rebound forward. We've shown in recent games that we have multiple avenues to goal - even if Hogan and Green are held.

Possible changes for this game. Haynes will be back from suspension - but is there a spot in defence for him? Or on the wing? Hopefully Callaghan is available, and he'd be a certainty to come in. Hogan the only question mark from the game; he hurt his back, took some pills to return, but might they give him a spell? If they do, what team change do we make? We were prepared to go into the Adelaide game with 2 KPFs, but the late out of Callaghan saw Cadman come in for him. I'm still a fan of giving Derksen a go, or Gruzewski, but AK isn't of the same mind. Interestingly, it was Callum Brown who did the second rucking last night, and he held his own (mainly through athleticism and enthusiasm). Do we need more inside grunt, does Harry Rowston come into the picture? I suspect not, based on experience to date. I would expect very few changes to a winning team. Callaghan in for Cadman perhaps (or Hogan if the back injury needs time off); otherwise you'd think it would be Wehr or Angwin to make way.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
At the start of this season, no media pundit had GWS close to making finals. After last year, and a coach change, that seemed entirely reasonable. Even after the first 10 rounds of this season when we were 3-7 it seemed an impossible reach. But after last night, GWS is on the cusp of the top 8, is the only team sitting on a 5-win streak, and our destiny is in our own hands with the run to September. The game against Adelaide was typical of the team this year - up against the odds (with some missing personnel, away), not getting everything right, but scrapping hard and never losing faith in the system and each other.

For the last two weeks, the midfield lowered their colours to the opposition, and missing Tom Green and Finn Callaghan was going to make the contested battle even harder to win. Last night was a see-saw battle, as first Giants, then Crows got on top, before the Giants' mids wrestled supremacy back in the final quarter. We lost the centre clearances 6-11, which remains a worry, but won clearances elsewhere 37-27 to ensure an even flow of ball. Kelly fought off this week's tag to be dominant (28 disposals), while Cogs was prominent in the first and last quarters, when we played our best. Briggs was good again, despite losing the hitouts 30-44, he grabbed 7 clearances (against 2 for his opposing ruck) and made 4 tackles.

The defence is really where we made a statement, though. It looked shaky in the first few minutes when Walker passed off to Laird for the first goal, then marked in front of Sam Taylor (and arrogantly shoved him) and goaled. But after a second goal early in the second quarter, Walker was held goalless, indeed touchless for the second half, as Slammer got on top. Sam played 100% of the game, took 16 intercepts, including 5 intercept marks, 2 contested marks, and 8 one-percenters. All of the defenders were superb, with Buckley 11 one-percenters/4 intercepts, Idun 8 one-percenters/6 intercepts, Whitfield 12 intercepts, Cumming 8 intercepts/5 one-percenters all blotting out Crows' attacks and starting the rebound.

Next up is another 8-point game, against fellow finals aspirant Gold Coast in Manuka. Like us, the Suns had a slow start, and similarly started getting better mid-way through the season. The edged ahead of us on the ladder, until the last three weeks where losses to the top 2 teams saw them axe their coach. They got a "dead-coach bounce" this round, beating St Kilda - who have had their own issues - and are hopeful of making finals for the first time. This is where our destiny is in our own hands - this team is around our level: on home soil, we need to be beating them to both improve our ladder position and keep them at bay.

Suns do have a solid team across the park. A good midfield led by an excellent ruckman: Witts, Miller, Anderson, Rowell with Powell and Flanders surging. Bailey Humphries in his first year is showing something special, both in midfield and up forward. They have a good tall forward line in King, Lukosius and Casboult, and their tall defence in Collins and Ballard is also going well. They will not be an easy nut to crack, and we certainly cannot take them lightly. GWS must at least halve the midfield battle - and without Tom Green again I hope that Finn Callaghan is available (and fully fit) to help out. Our defence is likely where we'll have the edge: if Taylor and co can replicate what they've done as a team for these past five weeks, we'll be able to blunt any attack and rebound forward. We've shown in recent games that we have multiple avenues to goal - even if Hogan and Green are held.

Possible changes for this game. Haynes will be back from suspension - but is there a spot in defence for him? Or on the wing? Hopefully Callaghan is available, and he'd be a certainty to come in. Hogan the only question mark from the game; he hurt his back, took some pills to return, but might they give him a spell? If they do, what team change do we make? We were prepared to go into the Adelaide game with 2 KPFs, but the late out of Callaghan saw Cadman come in for him. I'm still a fan of giving Derksen a go, or Gruzewski, but AK isn't of the same mind. Interestingly, it was Callum Brown who did the second rucking last night, and he held his own (mainly through athleticism and enthusiasm). Do we need more inside grunt, does Harry Rowston come into the picture? I suspect not, based on experience to date. I would expect very few changes to a winning team. Callaghan in for Cadman perhaps (or Hogan if the back injury needs time off); otherwise you'd think it would be Wehr or Angwin to make way.

What are your thoughts?
Great review

Agree that there will be minor changes to a winning team but I think finn and Haynes are in our best team

I have wehr and cadman coming out for those two

I always like to see us win against our fellow expansion team.

Buckley, Taylor, Idun
Whitfield, HH, Cumming
Callaghan, Kelly, Wehr/Angwin
Daniels, Riccardi, Greene
Bedford, Hogan, Lloyd
Briggs, Cogs, Ward
Haynes, Ash, Perryman, Brown

I think we'll have a very very good chance if we can bring that team into the game.

Great review

Agree that there will be minor changes to a winning team but I think finn and Haynes are in our best team

I have wehr and cadman coming out for those two
Yep. I see it this way as well.
Haynes Taylor Idun
Whitfield Buckley Perryman
Callaghan Ward cumming
Greene Riccardi Brown
Bedford Hogan Daniels
Briggs Cogs Kelly
HH Haynes Ash Lloyd
Sub: Angwin

I always like to see us win against our fellow expansion team.

Buckley, Taylor, Idun
Whitfield, HH, Cumming
Callaghan, Kelly, Wehr/Angwin
Daniels, Riccardi, Greene
Bedford, Hogan, Lloyd
Briggs, Cogs, Ward
Haynes, Ash, Perryman, Brown

I think we'll have a very very good chance if we can bring that team into the game.
I think that is best players available not beat team. That would be 3 defenders on the bench (technically 4 if you include Brown).

I’d have Haynes as sub or playing VFL. Callaghan to play mostly inside with Wehr & Angwin on the wings.

I think that is best players available not beat team. That would be 3 defenders on the bench (technically 4 if you include Brown).

I’d have Haynes as sub or playing VFL. Callaghan to play mostly inside with Wehr & Angwin on the wings.
I don't know why you'd count Brown, he's playing as a forward.

It is bordering on having too many defenders, but if you used Haynes as a winger (which they have done already this year) you can fit everyone in. Then you only have the 1 defender on the bench, in this case Ash, giving you the normal 7 defenders. 1 forward in brown and the others rotating through the middle.

Cummings been playing a fair bit of wing the last couple of weeks.

Yep. I see it this way as well.
Haynes Taylor Idun
Whitfield Buckley Perryman
Callaghan Ward cumming
Greene Riccardi Brown
Bedford Hogan Daniels
Briggs Cogs Kelly
HH Haynes Ash Lloyd
Sub: Angwin
Got Haynes there twice mate. Assuming Angwin takes that spot and Wehr or Fahey as the sub.

What are your thoughts?
An 8 day break is useful. Hopefully Hogan can play, if not look to play Derksen or Himmelberg forward, replaced by Haynes down back.

Although we are heading to Manuka with an unwanted club record 9 consecutive losing streak at the ground (the most for any grounds in our history), we are entitled to feel optimistic. We beat Geelong, Melbourne and Adelaide in the last couple of months, and the team are playing with self belief and confidence. The market also has us as clear favourites at $1.48 (Gold Coast are $2.67). Giants to win, and with 6 consecutive wins equal the most consecutive winning streak in our history.

I don't know why you'd count Brown, he's playing as a forward.

It is bordering on having too many defenders, but if you used Haynes as a winger (which they have done already this year) you can fit everyone in. Then you only have the 1 defender on the bench, in this case Ash, giving you the normal 7 defenders. 1 forward in brown and the others rotating through the middle.
Haynes, Ash and Perryman and Brown are all defenders. Brown has been playing as a forward but he will need to spend more time forward before he is classed as a forward (Phil Davis spoke about it on his latest pod). If you exclude brown then it means we have 9 defenders and 6 spots in the back 6 so 2 need to play on the wing (perryman is our only lockdown defender too so prob not him. )

Haynes, cumming, Angwin, Callaghan, Kelly can’t all play on the wing either.

Kingsley doesn’t play resting mids forward either so if brown is backup ruck, prob need another forward on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want to play finals, the remaining games are basically all eight-pointers from now on.

We probably have to win four out of the six to guarantee a spot. That means not dropping any at home, plus one more. So we must win on Sunday.

If Callaghan is fit he can take Wehr''s spot. I favour keeping Angwin in the team because he adds spark and energy. He and Brown can be inaccurate at times but they add a bit of zest we've been lacking. Haynes can be the sub.

If Hogan's out, Cadman can stay. I know people favour giving Derksen or Gruzewski a go but I can't see it happening unless we have no choice. It's very late in the season to be blooding players. Everyone was dead keen on starting Cadman immediately and that didn't exactly work out.

Kingsley has added something intangible to the club we never really had with Leon. You can sense it. We just need to take advantage of it.

Agree with you there, Wehr makes way for Callaghan with his minutes in the increased and Angwin sitting on the wing.
Yeah I understand the Cadman decision as it is late in the season...I still love Gruzs competitiveness.
What do you do with Fahey? Was very useful as the sub.

A win will do, but a percentage boost would be nice as that could come into the equation!
Might be getting greedy!
Would be nice to pass any or all of Saints, Dogs or Essendon on percentage. None are too far away.
I think that 3 wins probably gets us there. I think that St Kilda is likely to only win 2 more. I don't think Many or anyone behind us is going win 4. So if we can pass someone on percentage I think 3 gets us in.
It's going to be tight!

Any chance Tom Green gets up for this game? Or is it confirmed he aint playing and if so for how long?

Many thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back