Preview 2023 Round 19 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Sunday, July 23, 1.10 pm AEST, @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The tigers famously didn’t focus on clearance but post-clearance contests
Which fits in with how we are performing statistically elsewhere and likely a result of how Kingsley is structuring the team.

Very high number of inside 50’s conceded but very low number of marks conceded and best defence in league over last 5-6 weeks.

Which fits in with how we are performing statistically elsewhere and likely a result of how Kingsley is structuring the team.

Very high number of inside 50’s conceded but very low number of marks conceded and best defence in league over last 5-6 weeks.
It does kinda feel like you could do both though right?
Unless we are setting up to lose the ball in centre bounces....which I doubt.
If our Mids get ontop as well as the way our backline is playing we would start to dominate.

If our Mids get ontop as well as the way our backline is playing we would start to dominate.
Yeah I doubt we are setting out to lose the clearance …. Could be getting used to Briggsy will take a while?

Not setting up to lose the clearance but not concerned if we do with a solid structure behind the ball to win it back.

Give the mids licence to attack out of the centre knowing that we can lock it in our forward half really if we win but then if we lose the clearance we will win it back and start the tsunami.

I’m sure we would prefer to be winning more clearances but if we don’t things will be okay.

What changes are you making?
Callaghan in for Wehr?
Haynes in for Cadman(switching Ward back forward maybe)

Haynes is in good form. You'd think we need to fit him in the team. No way I want him rotting in the VFL

One player who worried me a bit with his disposal v Adelaide was Cumming.

I would select Haynes for Wehr and either Wehr going to the bench and Cumming omitted (or vice versa).

Leaning towards Wehr being omitted but Cumming looked very much out of place up forward.

Last edited:
I think it goes like this.

Taylor Buckley Himmel
Ash Whitfield Idun

Perryman Briggs Cogs
Kelly Callaghan Lloyd

Bedford Greene Daniels
Riccardi Hogan Brown

Bench
Haynes Ward Cumming Angwin

Emergency
Fahey or Wehr

Cumming/Haynes push onto the wing and rotate through back line when needed. Brown plays as a tall forward and Ward also pushes as a defensive forward(O'Halloran role).
This keeps Lloyd and Angwin in for the run on the wing assuming Callaghan will get a little more 'inside'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it goes like this.

Taylor Buckley Himmel
Ash Whitfield Idun

Perryman Briggs Cogs
Kelly Callaghan Lloyd

Bedford Green Daniels
Riccardi Hogan Brown

Bench
Haynes Ward Cumming Angwin

Emergency
Fahey or Wehr

Cumming/Haynes push onto the wing and rotate through back line when needed. Brown plays as a tall forward and Ward also pushes as a defensive forward(O'Halloran role).
This keeps Lloyd and Angwin in for the run on the wing assuming Callaghan will get a little more 'inside'
Full time move back into the midfield for Perryman?

Angwin, Haynes, cumming, Lloyd and perryman all rotating onto the wing?

Any concerns with Haynes kicking going into forward 50?

Yeah midfield for Perryman and Ash at times like we saw in Adelaide.
Cumming and Haynes also rotate between wing and back. Lloyd cac go Fwd/wing
Ward and Angwin can go mid/fwd

These are all positions they've trained in and works for me. The only one that gives me pause is Haynes on the wing and I don't see his kicking forward being too much of an issue with the amount of runners we have streaming forward.

This isn't throwing Haynes forward like last year...it's much more conservative and planned from Kingsley.

Haynes is having his best year by foot, his kick efficiency is 80.8%, a full 6% better than his next best year (2016) and a 10% increase off of last year.

Also just watched the footage from the last game vs the crows and Connor Idun did an absolute job on Rankin last week. I think he might line up against Lukosius, hopefully he can do a good job keeping him quiet because he had 4 goals last week.

SUNDAY, JULY 23​

Greater Western Sydney v Gold Coast at Manuka Oval, 1.10pm AEST

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
F.Callaghan, N.Haynes, M.Flynn
Out: None

R18 sub: Josh Fahey

GOLD COAST

In:
C.Burgess, J.Farrar, M.Rosas, J.Tsitas
Out: B.Fiorini (sub)

R18 sub: Brayden Fiorini

The team list doesn't exactly clarify matters - the players who are questionable are all on the extended interchange bench!

GWS v GCS.png

SUNDAY, JULY 23​

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:

GOLD COAST

In:

The team list doesn't exactly clarify matters - the players who are questionable are all on the extended interchange bench!

View attachment 1745264
Tough to figure out what the bench will be. I want Haynes in....but it's tough

SUNDAY, JULY 23​

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:

GOLD COAST

In:

View attachment 1745264
Except Lloyd who would have been one that could be omitted.

It's impressive that he's still in the team. He is clearly doing something right that I don't fully understand.
Surely Connor Stone takes that spot next year

I hope Stone finds his way in the AFL. Skill set that would be very damaging. So far has just really struggled to get his hands on the ball when he has played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back