Preview 2023 Round 19 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Sunday, July 23, 1.10 pm AEST, @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Staying healthy for starters.
Exactly. I don't mind Lloyd (and love the back story) - he's the journeyman player that you need in spots 37-42 of any balanced list. Similar to Kenners in some respects. Works hard, plays his guts out when selected. He's got some talent, but getting older, so should be pushed out by the youngsters who have a touch more talent, and younth/speed/flexibility on their side. But if they repeatedly get injured, he gets selected because he's reliable, he knows the system, and can contribute a known quality. He rarely gets injured, so weeks where the selectors might go "time to give Lloyd a rest and give Y a chance" have seen "unfortunately, we've now lost X for this week" and he gets another go.

Stone has simply struggled to get on the field with regularity.
I really hope I’m wrong… I don’t think he is enough of a natural footballer at all. To me he is always a step behind the play… he might make up for it sometimes with his power… but he just doesn’t have it for the top level.
I hope the coaches can find the right role for him.

Exactly. I don't mind Lloyd (and love the back story) - he's the journeyman player that you need in spots 37-42 of any balanced list. Similar to Kenners in some respects. Works hard, plays his guts out when selected. He's got some talent, but getting older, so should be pushed out by the youngsters who have a touch more talent, and younth/speed/flexibility on their side. But if they repeatedly get injured, he gets selected because he's reliable, he knows the system, and can contribute a known quality. He rarely gets injured, so weeks where the selectors might go "time to give Lloyd a rest and give Y a chance" have seen "unfortunately, we've now lost X for this week" and he gets another go.
Being fit and healthy is historically a major bonus in our teams...
His role is as a basic defensive forward who restricts rebound defenders, competes, blocks space and runs all day. Goals are a bonus.
I've said for a couple of years it's up to a young bloke to do a better job to take his spot - still hasn't happened.
Kingsley has shown faith in other positions to give young guys games. That says a lot to me.

Last edited:
Being fit and healthy is historically a major bonus in our teams...
His role is as a basic defensive forward who restricts small forwards, competes, blocks space and runs all day. Goals are a bonus.
I've said for a couple of years it's up to a young bloke to do a better job to take his spot - still hasn't happened.
Kingsley has shown faith in other positions to give young guys games. That says a lot to me.
He’s having a season comparable to someone like Jack Graham from the tigers …. He’s worth his match payments

Harry Perryman's 100th game this weekend. Seems the team has had a few milestone rounds lately!

Interesting article, too!

'I like to cruise along': Low-profile Giant happy flying under the radar

HARRY Perryman is more than comfortable keeping a low profile at Greater Western Sydney among its bevy of big names, but he will take the limelight this week as he runs out in the AFL for the 100th time in Canberra on Sunday against Gold Coast.

Riccardi and Cadman as the talls is gonna be interesting. Big task to be competitive as the no 1 tall for Riccardi.
Cadman also will also need to step up.
We should play Himmelberg forward. I won't knock any other individual, but our backline has an excess of good players, forward line is not in the same position. A tall/ medium forward of Greene, Riccardi, Himmelberg, Brown is still pretty good in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope Kingas doesn’t fall into the trap of moving HH forward.

Cadman’s breakout game coming up.

Haynes to play as third tall forward.

Urrggghhhh....

We've been allocated Ump no.18 again.

Good ole 'Razor' Ray Chamberlain.

That's at least a 3 goal deficit before the first bounce.

Really hope Kingas doesn’t fall into the trap of moving HH forward.

Cadman’s breakout game coming up.

Haynes to play as third tall forward.
No freaking way I'm playing Haynes forward over Himmel. Our back line is great even without Himmel.
Himmel is 3 dimmensional. Use it. Haynes can't play fwd.....we know this

Urrggghhhh....

We've been allocated Ump no.18 again.

Good ole 'Razor' Ray Chamberlain.

That's at least a 3 goal deficit before the first bounce.
I'd take him over Foot or Stevic in an instant. Toby will probably get legit free kicks this week, Ray doesn't mind paying those from half a field away.

No freaking way I'm playing Haynes forward over Himmel. Our back line is great even without Himmel.
Himmel is 3 dimmensional. Use it. Haynes can't play fwd.....we know this

I wouldn’t be playing Haynes at all. If he isn’t good enough to be in the back 6 rotation which he isn’t then he really isn’t up to it anywhere else on the field (Taylor/Buckley/HH/Idun/Ash/Whitfield/Perryman/Cumming)

Kingsley has had plenty of opportunity to play HH back in the forward line and hasn’t so don’t think that changes this week. Haynes has been squeezed out in recent weeks and played on wing and been moved to sub.

HH does t have the skill set to thrive as a forward in Kingsley’s game style. Non negotiable is being able to bring the ball to ground

I wouldn’t be playing Haynes at all. If he isn’t good enough to be in the back 6 rotation which he isn’t then he really isn’t up to it anywhere else on the field (Taylor/Buckley/HH/Idun/Ash/Whitfield/Perryman/Cumming)

Kingsley has had plenty of opportunity to play HH back in the forward line and hasn’t so don’t think that changes this week. Haynes has been squeezed out in recent weeks and played on wing and been moved to sub.

HH does t have the skill set to thrive as a forward in Kingsley’s game style. Non negotiable is being able to bring the ball to ground
I understand your opinion. I think you're wrong.
HH definitely does have the skill set to bring the ball to deck or take two marks of the year. He also does incredibly with score assists.
No way is Cadman giving us more up forward than Himmel would. Haynes certainly won't up forward, we've read that book before.
Haynes has been in great form we just wanted an aggressive kicker in defence...thus Himmel back.
I just think with the current line up and finals a chance we should look at it until Hogan comes back.
Kingsley probably won't, I just don't think his contract position should hinder his ability to be a swingman.

So we started the weekend in 9th
after Friday night we were in 8th
after today we are in 10th

win tomorrow by any margin and we finish the round no lower than 7th
if there’s an upset in the St Kilda game we’ll be 6th
if St Kilda loses or wins by only a very small margin and we win by better than about 95 could be as high as 5th.

you could say it’s pretty tight on the ladder at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back