List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking Adelaide said something similar when the traded for Tambling.
Draft position means nothing after the draft.
I saw Tambling's younger brother play in Derby in 2012 in a local game.

Big deal you say ?

His development has also been stuffed up by lack of continuity as well.

Get the feeling with a more robust body he would have been a really good player.

Don't think he was ever going to be an absolute gun but you don't need 22 of those. He was a dynamic fast combative player and a point of difference in a slow midfield. If they think they can get him right he's worth keeping because he adds to our depth and changes up a stodgy list. Not worried about retaining a couple of these guys, just need to make sure it doesn't tip too far into injury list cloggers.

One the main issues we need to resolve is this. I think most of us rate Coffield, Jones, Billings, McKenzie and Hayes as players to varying degrees. But these figures make stark reading.
In 2023 they played 8 games out of a possible 120 games collectively. In 2022 they played 38 out of 110 games. Across the last two seasons that's 46 out of 230 games.

The question is can we afford to keep rewarding players with contracts that continuously struggle to string games together. I know it's tough but that's a big chunk of our list that's been missing across those five players. Given his age and upside I wouldn't be getting rid of Coffield. The rest wouldn't bother me although I'd like to see Hayes get a full pre season under his belt.

People are seriously over valuing Howard, even in a seller’s market. 27 and on very good coin.

27 is still 5 plus years of footy ahead of him. Find another tall KPB for less that is as good and available, McKay is only going to get more on potential and not on actual output, he barely gets on the park. We paid more fo a much lesser player when we traded him in. The forum turned on him this year but he's always been a popular player before that. He seemed to lose confidence under Lyon after the King incident.

One the main issues we need to resolve is this. I think most of us rate Coffield, Jones, Billings, McKenzie and Hayes as players to varying degrees. But these figures make stark reading.
In 2023 they played 8 games out of a possible 120 games collectively. In 2022 they played 38 out of 110 games. Across the last two seasons that's 46 out of 230 games.

The question is can we afford to keep rewarding players with contracts that continuously struggle to string games together. I know it's tough but that's a big chunk of our list that's been missing across those five players. Given his age and upside I wouldn't be getting rid of Coffield. The rest wouldn't bother me although I'd like to see Hayes get a full pre season under his belt.
agree with your assessment,surely those 4 are on their last chance in 2024,as we are not winning the flag in 2024 im happy to give them that last chance

however if we can get well compensated for coffield and something for 2 of the 4(billings and dmac)id be doing it

if all 5 remain the 4(minus coffield)are on last legs and in the case of jones id be saying fall on your sword if your not available for round 1,really enoughs enough,go inactive and give us a mid season pick

Every single news station on it says you guys don’t want to keep him.. so I’m absolutely calling your bluff haha

The giants knew jeremy cameron was never going to play for them again.
Didn't stop them matching an RFA bid for him in order to force a trade because the compo wasn't worth it.

We absolutely would do the same given the relationship between gresh and the club is far from broken.

We'd happily match any bid that didn't get us decent compo and back gresh in to return to (and exceed) his previous form.

We're not pushing him out the door, nor is he desperate to get out to anywhere.
It's clearly just a case of a player valuing himself higher than the club does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think Dow & Henry improve our list. Enough to make top 4? NO. I hope we got those 2 in and some draft picks. RTB has said all year we want to hit the draft. Could we trade Howard + our 1st pick to the Cats for their pick 7? They have Rata leaving, makes sense.

Well he wouldn't be coming to play at Sandy. He's going to take a list spot off someone like Coffield too. You can call it what ever you like but if we are looking at taking him on it isn't as a non playing member of the coaching panel. If we keep Dmac, Jones, Shiel then we are tying up a lot of money and spots in the rehab group.
So if a player comes to the club, is in the opinion of Lyon, Harvey, Hayes, and Enright is good enough to be in the seniors on form, you don't want him there? You are basically saying you don't want the coaches to select the best players for the team.
I would hope they select any player on form and best fit for structure. If Sheil is good enough he should be selected, if he is no good he gets dropped.
Coffield plays a different position to Sheil he should be worried more about Stocker, Battle Webster, even Naz and Henry for his position

Sheil would be up against Jones, Ross, Ronny more than anyone.
I like everyone understands Sheil is currently a 30 who is constantly Injured.

But as have been stated he will on be at the Saints if we get pick 13, if that is not the prize, we'll we just take the compo or hopefully keep Gresh.
I don't think it is a disaster. We won't challenge next year and the oldies Sheil and Jones are uncontracted after 2024.

If feel 2024 is an interim year, building through draft and trading for some youngens in Henry and Dow, and hopefully one or two draftees.
We are weakest in the mids. The old blokes would be good depth. Our futuremids like Pou and chito showed in the final how far they are off it. Another year of development running through the guts will hold us in good stead.
Remember Pou should really be drafted only this year, and got 24 games experience as an underage recruit.

I think there is way too much focus on a steak knives player and not the medium term strategy.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Howard wrecking Kings shoulder pissed Lyon off no end.

If he's so petty that he'd trade a player for that , i'd rather he was not our coach.
I don't actually believe that, i think RL is a professional.

So Coffield and Clark must be worth a heap too then. We should get two top 10 picks if we trade them.

Well I didn’t say Dow and Henry were worth top 10 picks. I implied they weren’t worth next to nothing after another poster implied they were.

I would expect reasonable fair return for both Coff and Clark even if they are a bit older. Not first round picks.

Just caught the end of David Zita (?) on Talking Finals.
Zac Jones being offered a new contract? Did anyone hear the details?
Let's hope it's only for 1 year on minimum chips, he can then earn more via match payments, making sitting on the sidelines less lucrative. That way they can afford to pay the hannebury mark 2 contract, if all the pre trade speculation actually has any semblance of fact in amongst the corn.

So if a player comes to the club, is in the opinion of Lyon, Harvey, Hayes, and Enright is good enough to be in the seniors on form, you don't want him there? You are basically saying you don't want the coaches to select the best players for the team.
I would hope they select any player on form and best fit for structure. If Sheil is good enough he should be selected, if he is no good he gets dropped.
Coffield plays a different position to Sheil he should be worried more about Stocker, Battle Webster, even Naz and Henry for his position

Sheil would be up against Jones, Ross, Ronny more than anyone.
I like everyone understands Sheil is currently a 30 who is constantly Injured.

But as have been stated he will on be at the Saints if we get pick 13, if that is not the prize, we'll we just take the compo or hopefully keep Gresh.
I don't think it is a disaster. We won't challenge next year and the oldies Sheil and Jones are uncontracted after 2024.

If feel 2024 is an interim year, building through draft and trading for some youngens in Henry and Dow, and hopefully one or two draftees.
We are weakest in the mids. The old blokes would be good depth. Our futuremids like Pou and chito showed in the final how far they are off it. Another year of development running through the guts will hold us in good stead.
Remember Pou should really be drafted only this year, and got 24 games experience as an underage recruit.

I think there is way too much focus on a steak knives player and not the medium term strategy.

Well said.
If he's so petty that he'd trade a player for that , i'd rather he was not our coach.
I don't actually believe that, i think RL is a professional.
Theres no way thats it.

Ross is and always has been about minimising mistakes and brain fades, hed sooner take a solid b grader than a volatile a grader.

Doogs, love him or hate him, makes dumb ******* mistakes, thats why Ross wont love him and thats also why his confidence is likely shoddy.

Ross' feelings kind of mirror most of ours, if Doogs could stop the 2-3 goal a game brain fades he would be a genuinely elite key defender.

Personally I think Dow & Henry improve our list. Enough to make top 4? NO. I hope we got those 2 in and some draft picks. RTB has said all year we want to hit the draft. Could we trade Howard + our 1st pick to the Cats for their pick 7? They have Rata leaving, makes sense.
The improvement to top 4 for us is gonna come from the kids. Its highly unlikely we can afford to top up on ready-made A-graders to take us to the next level both due to lack of options and lack of capital. Once Owens, Windy, Nas, Pou, Hotton, Caminiti, Sharman, Van Es, Keeler; even King, Coff, Clark, Higgins and our picks over the next couple of drafts establish themselves as AFL-level talents, we will probably have enough talent to be contending for top 4 and flags.

Lads, wanna get your thoughts on something;

Assuming we get pick 13 and Geelong get a decent second rounder for Ratugolea, I think we should trade 12&13 to Geelong for pick 7 and the second rounder. Geelong have publicly made 7 available, and considering this draft where the top end is a group of 8-9 players, not only do we gain access to that, we also get a pick that we could potentially use for Liam Henry. If we stick with 12&13, I'm worried we miss out on that top 7-8 and end up with 2 youngsters who will be good, but not considered the best from this year's crop. I've done the points calculation for the trade, and its almost equal for both sides so win-win.

Players we could consider at pick 7 would be midfielder Sanders, x-factor forward Caddy and maybe small forward Nick Watson. This video I saw touches on it:

I'm resigned to the fact we won't end up with 13, but surely we aren't trading it straight for Shiel?
We aren't in cap trouble and can take his whole contract if needed. So why don't we just take the regular Gresham compensation (Band2/3) and trade for Shiel seperately if we want him so bad? He won't cost much at all surely.

Heck, even trade our Band 3 compensation Shiel. It's the same result for us and we aren't gifting another team a first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back