List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to his manager a while ago he’s playing his ideal role of forward-mid so not sure he’d be going for more opportunity. My concern if he goes is Ross rarely plays anyone under 27 years old in the midfield and without Gresh’s minutes in there as a point of difference it’s more of the boring players.
That trend seems to be shifting over the last few weeks.

Owens and Phillipou had 18 centre bounce appearances between them on Sunday.

Seeing Owens and Pou in the middle on the weekend makes me feel slightly more comfortable with the midfield going forward. It might not need a complete lobotomy but obviously anything we can do to improve it we should.

Also for all the concern with North's draft concessions, it's the Gold Coast that are going to come quickly. Brown on On The Couch last night said they have 6 academy kids in the u16 all Australian team. They'll just keep getting fed elite talent until they're competing.
They will still have the salary cap to deal with though.

Like the Giants they won’t be able to keep everyone. We all thought they’d be winning multiple flags and it didn’t happen.

If they are smart like the Giants though they will continue to get good picks for players and never really have to bottom out.

What makes you think we’d be paying overs for him?
Because even though these types are nothing but depth up there or in the case of Flanders third or forth banana clubs like st Kilda starved of talent bid against each other in the search for talent. Yes out of contract players have some power to nominate a preferred club but do you really think we’ll get Flanders out of there without paying a first rounder. Last year I was filthy at the idea of trading Clark and from memory so were you and certainly not for unders, why would they be any different. I know they need points but that only counts when matching bids, they could leverage our pick into a player or a future pick.

I think Gresham has displayed a much improved attitude since being made the sub. Tackling, helping teammates, looking to score and help us score. Has a very good MCG record too.
I wonder if something has changed with his contract - either settled on his destination or considering staying?

He’s seemed more relaxed the past few games. And the way Ross spoke about him in the press conference was interesting.

I wonder if something has changed with his contract - either settled on his destination or considering staying?

He’s seemed more relaxed the past few games. And the way Ross spoke about him in the press conference was interesting.

Look, I want him to stay for reasons I've stated on here over a long period of time. He's a point-of-difference, has a great record where finals are played, and when confident and on song he can be elite. But he's not indispensable or our best player to be kept at any price.

According to his manager a while ago he’s playing his ideal role of forward-mid so not sure he’d be going for more opportunity. My concern if he goes is Ross rarely plays anyone under 27 years old in the midfield and without Gresh’s minutes in there as a point of difference it’s more of the boring players.

That trend seems to be shifting over the last few weeks.

Owens and Phillipou had 18 centre bounce appearances between them on Sunday.
Yeah I think people have to stop thinking that new Ross is simply going to revert back to old Ross at some stage.

He has brought in his own people. People he loves and respects. He has very much handed them the keys and appears happy to take a far less dictorial role. He almost never fails to mention his assistants at the pressers. He of course had them draw up the game plan.

For our midfield set-up to consist only of old, slow, one paced, 'boring' players, he is going to have to get buy-in from Harvey, Hayes & Enright. But that won't happen because they are smart and they know it's not 2009.

And despite many thinking Ross can't, or won't change, I reckon he knows it as well.

Because even though these types are nothing but depth up there or in the case of Flanders third or forth banana clubs like st Kilda starved of talent bid against each other in the search for talent. Yes out of contract players have some power to nominate a preferred club but do you really think we’ll get Flanders out of there without paying a first rounder. Last year I was filthy at the idea of trading Clark and from memory so were you and certainly not for unders, why would they be any different. I know they need points but that only counts when matching bids, they could leverage our pick into a player or a future pick.

I'd give them our first along with some later picks, to make up the points they need, then use their first to go after Sanders( if available ) or Duursma. There are precious few mids in this draft, probably DeMattia the only one to be thereabouts for our current first pick.

Hugo Ralphsmith would be a very handy pick up…we need more pace injected into the side.
Was at Haileybury with Max and Windy, and after Josh Battle.

I don’t particularly rate him though. Avg touches per game of 11 doesn’t blow me away.

Speaking of GC, any thoughts on Charlie Constable?

He cannot crack a shot in the midfield at the Suns (although that may change with Dimma coming in).

Averages about 30 disposals, 6 marks, 5 or 6 tackles in the VFL all year.

Is a Melbourne boy, and played for Sandy Dragons.

Also is only 24 still, and a good size at 1.91m.

Hmm

He cannot crack a shot in the midfield at the Suns (although that may change with Dimma coming in).

Hmm
Horrendous by foot, wouldn't want him anywhere near the team.
It's why he got dropped despite averaging 23 touches over the first fortnight of the season

Hmm
IMG_9299.jpeg

No.

If you’re going to take a punt on a mature-aged fringe mid from GC, you take Fiorini any day of the week.

Slightly better disposal efficiency, but also kicks goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrendous by foot, wouldn't want him anywhere near the team.
It's why he got dropped despite averaging 23 touches over the first fortnight of the season

I think he plays midfield in the VFL, and racks it up, but with better options in there, Dew tried him on HBF, which only exaggerated his poor disposal.
Matt Rowell , Noah Anderson, and Touk Miller probably all well in front of him in the midfield.
At the Saints he'd be behind Steele and Crouch, but who knows what we will get from Owens or Phillipou in future.

Seems like the Cats also preferred every geriatric on their list to Constable.

Hmm
Friday Running GIF by GIPHY News

The way Zaine Cordy played on the weekend it could be end of the line for Dougal Howard.

Would love to get some trade value for him and invest in midfield.

He's been playing Owens, Pou and Windy in there at different times this year.

Gresham cannot kick, having him in the team is a minus.
3 goals and an assist to Marshalls goal is a minus? Over a quarter of the goals is a minus?

Fair Dinkum heard it all now.

I noticed that this guy got a game with the Zebra's against Collingwood.

He only had 8 touches and i'm not sure where he played, maybe forward he kicked a behind.
Might have to watch the game again with a focus on him.

Sandringham Dragons​

Harvey Johnston
Midfielder
184cm, 76kg

Maybe the kid with the best step in the league, Harvey Johnston’s ability to zig-zag through traffic is eye-catching. His speed, cleanliness, and agility make him a catalyst in transition and dangerous in space.

Not only does Johnston have arguably the best-left foot at the Dragons, but he’s also more than handy on his right shoe. Johnston thrives off rhythm and once he starts going, he becomes a difficult target to chase down.

The other likeable aspect of Johnston is his versatility. A half-forward who hits the scoreboard, his ability to find space makes him a handy inside midfielder and he also has traits to play on the wing.

Also noteworthy is his leadership as a gluey character who would slot seamlessly into any team. His growth would be at times taking the easier option when it presents, for he can be guilty of occasionally doing too much, which can bring him undone, but all the ingredients are there.

After limited Talent League exposure last year, he’s settled well in 2023, averaging 18 touches from six games.------

He’s been playing for a number of weeks now.
I like him.

I think Gresham has displayed a much improved attitude since being made the sub. Tackling, helping teammates, looking to score and help us score. Has a very good MCG record too.
It’s been great to see the turn around in form. Hopefully means we get a higher pick for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back