List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly in amongst that he says he has run a 2km time trial in 6:30.
I that stat was quoted on the Blues forum and they basically laughed and said that he hanging on to that stat all season.

At the end of the day I think we have 6 list spots. I assume we take 4 in the draft. Seems silly to throw two more list spots to draftee’s we don’t rate on two year contracts. Much more upside in the stocker, RCD, Stack’s of the world on a one year deal.
3 in the draft, 1/2 rookie/SSP selection and the last spot will be left for the mid year draft I’d say.

Love DMac but Wood is a very handy goal kicker.
It's going to be interesting what Lyon does with Wood and McKenzie, with Hill most probably going back to the wing and a heap of kids fighting for a spot and the most interesting thing is what he does with Billings if he can stay fit the whole season.

If we wanted a mid-field tagger, DMac has all the attibutes.
Dmac has turned into pretty much the perfect winger, I wouldn’t be moving him anywhere. He just needs to get on the ground more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dmac has turned into pretty much the perfect winger, I wouldn’t be moving him anywhere. He just needs to get on the ground more.

The outside guys came on a lot this year but are probably the area that we need to work on the most. The inside mids were solid but out outside is where we need to structure up properly. Modern footy has high half forwards and offensive backline runners who play like extra wingmen. Oganising those positions will be a big part of improving.

Nas looks ideal as an attacking back or pure wing. Dmac is very defensive so can play high half forward and defend the ball coming out or add extra defensive cover. Wood is more suited to a forward role as is Billings. Seb Ross is another who is a mid but a spreading outside mid and looks like he might need to get pushed into a new role.

I think just having the roles all sorted and players drilled to follow the plan will make us a better side. It might take a couple of years but realistically Lyon is Paul Roos at Melbourne. He's there to bring standards, organisation and structures. How quickly we take to it will determine our next couple of years.

The outside guys came on a lot this year but are probably the area that we need to work on the most. The inside mids were solid but out outside is where we need to structure up properly. Modern footy has high half forwards and offensive backline runners who play like extra wingmen. Oganising those positions will be a big part of improving.

Nas looks ideal as an attacking back or pure wing. Dmac is very defensive so can play high half forward and defend the ball coming out or add extra defensive cover. Wood is more suited to a forward role as is Billings. Seb Ross is another who is a mid but a spreading outside mid and looks like he might need to get pushed into a new role.

I think just having the roles all sorted and players drilled to follow the plan will make us a better side. It might take a couple of years but realistically Lyon is Paul Roos at Melbourne. He's there to bring standards, organisation and structures. How quickly we take to it will determine our next couple of years.

We’ve tried Ross in other areas and it doesn’t work out very well for him or the team. He was back to his best last year playing where he always should play and if he ever moves again it should be because someone pushed him out of there. Until that happens he should be a midfielder because we don’t have many better than him. His contested numbers were decent as well, 9.5 per game is a good number.

Clearly the review didn't go far enough, there are still some numpties in important positions at the club.
Why? To allow AFL experienced players to play for sandy and develop a coaching role????

It's amazing how much an article headline can get people so revved up when they are too lazy to read the actual thing

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's going to be interesting what Lyon does with Wood and McKenzie, with Hill most probably going back to the wing and a heap of kids fighting for a spot and the most interesting thing is what he does with Billings if he can stay fit the whole season.
Billings needs to play as a lead up marking forward. Don’t push him high up the ground. Keep him closer to goals.
Get him to play that Toby Greene/Orazio Fantasia/Jamie Elliot type role. That’s where he is best suited but for whatever reason we play him up along the wing where he racks up 20+ nothing disposals cos he’s not dangerous and doesn’t take the game on like a Gresh/Sinclair

Interestingly in amongst that he says he has run a 2km time trial in 6:30.
The decent on ballers run around 6:00 for 2k, so Stocker is about 200m off the pace in a 5 lap race, suggesting his PB is way off the standard required.

I don’t mind the idea of picking him up, but if we do decide to, I would be absolutely pumping the kms into his legs and - as was mentioned earlier - getting him to shed a couple of kilos to help him with his outside game.

Sinclair, Wood, Ross, McKenzie and Butter all run around six minutes. Maybe get Stocker to run all summer with a couple of those guys and see how much he improves his times.

He certainly has the skills, we just need him to sort out his tank and keep on top of his mental health issues, and we may end up with a quality player for a bargain price.

Billings needs to play as a lead up marking forward. Don’t push him high up the ground. Keep him closer to goals.
Get him to play that Toby Greene/Orazio Fantasia/Jamie Elliot type role. That’s where he is best suited but for whatever reason we play him up along the wing where he racks up 20+ nothing disposals cos he’s not dangerous and doesn’t take the game on like a Gresh/Sinclair

He definitely needs to take on a new role but as a forward he'd need to do a mountain of psych stuff. He looks very uncertain with set shot kicking. I think he could excel in that high half forward role where he could run end to end with the play but still gets to have some forward craft in his game where he can take snaps and set up others. Elliott would be one of the best pressure shots on goal of any player in history as would Robbie Gray. Toby not far behind them. Orazio is a bit more electric around goals and causes chaos with his pace.

The decent on ballers run around 6:00 for 2k, so Stocker is about 200m off the pace in a 5 lap race, suggesting his PB is way off the standard required.

I don’t mind the idea of picking him up, but if we do decide to, I would be absolutely pumping the kms into his legs and - as was mentioned earlier - getting him to shed a couple of kilos to help him with his outside game.

Sinclair, Wood, Ross, McKenzie and Butter all run around six minutes. Maybe get Stocker to run all summer with a couple of those guys and see how much he improves his times.

He certainly has the skills, we just need him to sort out his tank and keep on top of his mental health issues, and we may end up with a quality player for a bargain price.

Time trials are a guide but don't mean heaps. He needs to get his stamina up so that he can run repeat sprints and not drop off the next contest. I don't care how fast he is to do it, as long as he can. Lots of guys win time trials and sprints but aren't fast players. He needs to flog himself on the track to get his fitness as high as possible to give himself a chance at resurrection regardless.

His brain actually looks fast in those highlights, he makes good decisions with the ball without stopping to think. I'd rather that than a guy who is the beach-muscles equivalent on the training track.

Been saying this for ages. Look at Billing’s in U18 and he only plays as a deep forward. He was that good he was drafted 3. But for some reason we seem to play him everywhere else.

The knock on him at U18 was that people were unsure if he would be able to transition into a mid. We’ve answered that - he is ok no world beater.

so playhim where he was drafted to play deep forward and we could get 40 goals from him.

Generally what happens with Billings is that we play him forward and he doesn’t play well so we move him to the middle. Then after a while in the middle he doesn’t play well and we try him forward again and he doesn’t play well, rinse and repeat. After 9 years you are what you are I’m honestly hoping we don’t waste too much time with him this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back