Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

The Saturday 4.20 and Sunday 3.20 slots are also the best for a neutral, too.

It's a lot of dedication to get home at 11.30pm after a day of work on Thursday, Friday and the earlier bouncedowns mean you have to be out the house before lunchtime. you're willing to do those things if it's your own team but bugger doing it regularly for neutral matches that could potentially blowout.

It's already been sorted but wonder how the broadcast deal would have worked with these two timeslots becoming so popular. obviously 3.20 is built for 7 running a game into the news, but you now have about five preferred 'blockbuster' slots now.
I don’t mind the two Friday matches either - both seem to feel blockbuster in terms of crowd, I wonder how it effects ratings?

It's not unfair. If your club choses to sell games to another venue and it drags your home average down, then that's the price you pay.
He didn't say its unfair, he said it seems unfair. Very simply, we accept that our average home attendance is going to take a hit because one game is going to have 4,000 people, we aren't saying it shouldn't be counted.

It's not unfair. If your club choses to sell games to another venue and it drags your home average down, then that's the price you pay.
He didn't say its unfair, he said it seems unfair. Very simply, we accept that our average home attendance is going to take a hit because one game is going to have 4,000 people, we aren't saying it shouldn't be counted.
Pretty much this,

I will say however, in the discussion for crowds and the support for a team, it should be taken into consideration. For example, if you're talking about growth of crowds and support on the Gold Coast; the 9 games they play on Gold Coast should be the only ones talked about.

Their 11 home crowd average will still include the Darwin games

I don’t mind the two Friday matches either - both seem to feel blockbuster in terms of crowd, I wonder how it effects ratings?

Well it beat the nrl by 1 million on a Friday night for people tuning in, over the usual Friday night 500k win we've become accustomed to. It helps that 4 of the 5 biggest states had a team playing, so got their local club on free to air.

Looking forward to the fixtures just released by the AFL, Cats v Bombers (MCG) on a Friday night will be massive if both teams are still in top 4.

Round 21 we play Fremantle at the MCG! This is one of those peculiar games which rarely occur, last year Ess v Port was a failure (37,000), so if we are playing finals this could be the biggest Freo/Dons game in terms of record.

Looking forward to the fixtures just released by the AFL, Cats v Bombers (MCG) on a Friday night will be massive if both teams are still in top 4.

Round 21 we play Fremantle at the MCG! This is one of those peculiar games which rarely occur, last year Ess v Port was a failure (37,000), so if we are playing finals this could be the biggest Freo/Dons game in terms of record.
Cats v Bombers is Saturday night, not the best slot for crowds, Cats fans forced up highway not great.

Dons V Freo requires Dockers and Bombers to be going well. Essendon played a game against Dockers at Marvel that sold out in 2018, think it drew 42,200 or thereabouts. Needs a bit of finals fever to get a crowd to beat that one.

Cats v Bombers is Saturday night, not the best slot for crowds, Cats fans forced up highway not great.

Dons V Freo requires Dockers and Bombers to be going well. Essendon played a game against Dockers at Marvel that sold out in 2018, think it drew 42,200 or thereabouts. Needs a bit of finals fever to get a crowd to beat that one.

Oh yes sorry that was a typo re: Geelong v Essendon. I think it will draw extremely well if we are still winning. Cats v Blues was a Saturday night too and we know how well that crowd was.

I disagree with Freo having to be doing well at Round 21 (it is a bonus if they are going well) but if we are a lock or vying for a spot in the 8, our fans will/should be flocking to the 'G for this one.

Super excited for Melbourne fans to get bashed again when we draw lower crowds because we have Saturday nights against low drawing sides.
North Melbourne, GWS and Port all on a Saturday night and imagine we will struggle to draw much more than 30K against any of them. Probably 23 against GWS and 25 against Port. By comparison we have West Coast on a Sunday 1:10pm game which will get to 30K (got 38K against them in the same time slot around 2005).

Essendon on a Saturday night probably limits that game at 60K unless both sides are still top 4 and it will hopefully push 65K-70K.
Pies in round 24 has been set up for a Friday night and that could be absolutely massive with top 4 ramifications.

Oh yes sorry that was a typo re: Geelong v Essendon. I think it will draw extremely well if we are still winning. Cats v Blues was a Saturday night too and we know how well that crowd was.

I disagree with Freo having to be doing well at Round 21 (it is a bonus if they are going well) but if we are a lock or vying for a spot in the 8, our fans will/should be flocking to the 'G for this one.
Cats / Blues was twilight Saturday, that’s very different to Saturday night if you live in Geelong! Sat night isn’t a great time slot for crowds as a general rule compared to most other slots.

Dreamtime Update:

Interestingly two bays of AFL members seating have been offered to public sale (bays 27/28). I assume this will mean they will fill this reserve with public overflow pre sales.

They’ve already sold two bays of MCC reserve seating to public sale too (bays 37/38). For the rest, theyre up to about 10 rows from the back all around ‘Q’ level in the MCC so this reserve will be at least 75% full in the night. Will monitor moving forward.

Essendon V Carlton Update:
Remaining seats for sale in Q1-4 on sale. Then it will be the restricted view seats. I’m thinking this will be sold out by next week at the latest. Don’t think AFL members section on sale yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Round 9 (excluding Gather Round)

HOME CROWDS
Club (# of home games played) = Total (Average)
  • Carlton (5) = 317,472 (63,494)
  • Essendon (4) = 249,156 (62,289)
  • Collingwood (3) = 182,200 (60,733)
  • West Coast (4) = 196,290 (49,073)
  • Geelong (4) = 188,263 (47,066)
  • Melbourne (3) = 138,993 (46,331)
  • Adelaide (4) = 183,842 (45,961)
  • Fremantle (4) = 183,770 (45,943)
  • Richmond (5) = 218,465 (43,693)
  • St Kilda (3) = 123,245 (41,082)
  • Hawthorn (4) = 164,144 (41,036)
  • Sydney (4) = 150,952 (37,738)
  • Port Adelaide (4) = 147,299 (36,825)
  • Brisbane Lions (4) = 128,103 (32,026)
  • Western Bulldogs (4) = 112,442 (28,111)
  • North Melbourne (4) = 101,167 (25,292)
  • GWS (4) = 54,797 (13,699)
  • Gold Coast (5) = 65,928 (13,186)

HOME AND AWAY CROWDS
Club (# of games played) = Total (Average)
  • Collingwood (8) = 488,980 (61,123)
  • Carlton (8) = 486,179 (60,772)
  • Essendon (8) = 432,705 (54,088)
  • Melbourne (8) = 392,382 (49,048)
  • Geelong (8) = 382,265 (47,783)
  • Richmond (8) = 372,097 (46,512)
  • Sydney (8) = 359,247 (44,906)
  • Port Adelaide (8) = 325,435 (40,679)
  • Fremantle (8) = 323,742 (40,468)
  • Hawthorn (8) = 312,052 (39,007)
  • West Coast (8) = 301,384 (37,673)
  • Adelaide (8) = 297,993 (37,249)
  • St Kilda (8) = 274,875 (34,359)
  • Western Bulldogs (8) = 267,199 (33,400)
  • Brisbane Lions (8) = 265,163 (33,145)
  • GWS (8) = 215,304 (26,913)
  • North Melbourne (8) = 174,440 (21,805)
  • Gold Coast (8) = 141,614 (17,702)
Slightly skewed by opponent but Freo has done well with no Marque game yet hosting lions, dogs, swans and crows.

Essendon's non-marque Saturday night crowds are generally lower than expected.

I don't expect the Geelong and Melbourne Saturday night games to be more than 60k and 55K respectively even if both teams are doing well.

Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday twilight are the big crowd pullers.

Remaining seats for sale in Q1-4 on sale. Then it will be the restricted view seats. I’m thinking this will be sold out by next week at the latest. Don’t think AFL members section on sale yet.
AFL and mcc go on sale on May 28.
This game is slightly behind Collingwood Melbourne which I think will be sold out in a couple days.

Reckon we are looking at 85K+ for both games and probably both around 88.

Heaps more tickets just gone on sale in the southern stand in Q15-Q8

The lone MCG game this weekend Collingwood v Adelaide, should be intriguing.

We should be tracking for a 60,000 + crowd for this one.

Kings Birthday Eve is now a fully ticketed event as per the Member communication email from the Essendon FC membership team. All GA members must upgrade to a reserved seat in order to attend!

Last year Pies v Crows at MCG attracted 65,930, a record for any Adelaide Crows H&A game. Will be close to 70,000 this year.

Essendon members got an email today to say it’s a fully ticketed event and to book seats to avoid missing out.

I jumped on for my brothers to grab their seats and it let me purchase seats in the AFL reserve? I wish I screenshotted this, but it seemed rather odd to me that it was an option for a General admission Bombers member?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back