Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Beatable H&A crowd records to keep an eye on this week:

Largest Fremantle home crowd vs Collingwood: 41,624 from 2010. Should be 46-51k on Friday.

Largest Carlton vs Gold Coast crowd: 31,765 from 2019. Should be 34-37k on Saturday.

Largest Geelong vs GWS crowd: 30,087 from 2017. Should be 28-32k on Saturday. So not a lock, but it is beatable if Cats members show despite facing a 4 game losing streak.
You would hope the that Cats would easily beat that number with the new stand bringing the capacity up to 40,000.

Nice try, the Tigers will not be a stroll in the park for us bc we all know...Bombers are not a side that flog teams and jury is still out on us. This should keep Richmond fans and neutrals engaged. Anything can happen!

Nup, there's absolutely no way that Essendon can lose this match and you know it. ;)

You would hope the that Cats would easily beat that number with the new stand bringing the capacity up to 40,000.
They certainly should, but their recent Friday night game against Port only pulled 29,942, and they’re coming off a big loss, so they can be a little hard to read at the moment.

Although, I do think Saturday 4:35pm is a much better time slot than Friday night for a team like Geelong who pull support from the countryside and also down the highway in Melbourne. That Friday game even started about 30 mins earlier than a normal one too at 7:10 to facilitate a double header that night, which probably also discouraged a few attendees.

Tickets still selling at a slow but steady rate in the AFL Members for Ess/Rich. Now just over half of the back section of level 4 is all that remains.

Shows how strong the brand of Dreamtime at the G is as on paper this match presents as a one sided stroll. Or perhaps there's a lot of people who like the idea of Richmond getting thrashed.
Bigger thing is that lots of these blockbuster games tickets get locked in weeks ago due to fear of missing out, before it’s apparent a team(s) year has turned south. Thats one reason why crowds have gone to new levels, especially blockbuster MCCG fixtures imo. Tickets get sold months in advance. That’s a key reason. It’d probably still draw 65-70k without marquee status as Bomber fans would turn up in big numbers given they’re engaged again.

They certainly should, but their recent Friday night game against Port only pulled 29,942, and they’re coming off a big loss, so they can be a little hard to read at the moment.

Although, I do think Saturday 4:35pm is a much better time slot than Friday night for a team like Geelong who pull support from the countryside and also down the highway in Melbourne. That Friday game even started about 30 mins earlier than a normal one too at 7:10 to facilitate a double header that night, which probably also discouraged a few attendees.
There’s still some seats for the Geelong v gws game still to sell (a few hundred), but it’s fewer than were unsold for the port game.

It seems at the kp matches the ‘away’ seats don’t sell out (and don’t seem to be on public sale) - I can imagine them being empty against the giants

They are now selling restricted view seats for Freo v Coll - so they must be expecting well over 50k now.
Counting available seats on the Ticketmaster map, it seems there are only available:
99 seats on level 1
147 seats on level 3
577 seats on level 5

Don’t know about corporate seats. So it comes down to the reserved seat member turn up rate.

Seems like this crowd should become Freo’s highest home attendance against any team other than West Coast. But can it beat the biggest Freo Home Derby? Can it even beat the biggest Derby crowd? Probably not to the later two.

IMG_2559.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s almost like there are no other AFL grounds in Sydney. Plenty of options to play games closer than Canberra.
Henson Park could easily be made an AFL standard venue if you assume GWS isn't potentially getting more than 15,000 or whatever to a home game.

Henson Park could easily be made an AFL standard venue if you assume GWS isn't potentially getting more than 15,000 or whatever to a home game.

I agree Henson park would be very good, it gets good crowds and having a presence there will attract new fans for the giants in a footy friendly area. I wonder what the difference in requirements is between an afl level venue and an afl w one. Because the W play there all the time.

I agree Henson park would be very good, it gets good crowds and having a presence there will attract new fans for the giants in a footy friendly area. I wonder what the difference in requirements is between an afl level venue and an afl w one. Because the W play there all the time.
You would need a new stand with media, corporate and change rooms. 5k undercover seating would boost capacity over 10k which is plenty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100% already in its current undeveloped state is listed as having a capacity of 30,000 and would not need a huge amount of funding maybe $100 million would be enough for starters to get it up to AFL standard - the AFLW already play matches there and get good crowds so there is no reason that GWS would do any worse!

It would also take it up to the NRL with their old school suburban stadium strategy.

Agree 100% already in its current undeveloped state is listed as having a capacity of 30,000 and would not need a huge amount of funding maybe $100 million would be enough for starters to get it up to AFL standard - the AFLW already play matches there and get good crowds so there is no reason that GWS would do any worse!

It would also take it up to the NRL with their old school suburban stadium strategy.

It might be what the Sydney public prefer anyway. Looking at their history, they show up to the smaller suburban venues, but nobody goes to the bigger stadiums and complexes in their other sports, the stadiums are basically empty. The Giants would be well served in taking some of these 'easy wins' in the background whilst doing the harder yards in gws itself.

What do we have in store for tonight at Marvel Doggies fans BallaratBulldog ?

Hoping for 30,000! Playing the top team and their form is good too.

Some cheaper tickets were on offer throughout the week for GA- But that is because Dogs knew Thurs Night will need some help. Shame it wasn’t almost any other timeslot - already putting us on a five day break. That Saints vs Dogs for example. Terrible Thurs Night crowd. 25,000 hopefully as Tilt suggests.

What do we have in store for tonight at Marvel Doggies fans BallaratBulldog ?

Hoping for 30,000! Playing the top team and their form is good too.

Let’s hope they shut the non broadcast side of the top deck and keep the stands looking good on TV.

It’s quite a big game and in a sold out or close to capacity 30K stadium would have big game feels about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s hope they shut the non broadcast side of the top deck and keep the stands looking good on TV.

It’s quite a big game and in a sold out or close to capacity 30K stadium would have big game feels about it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It’s open tonight. Which perhaps bodes well for the crowd. Although the only team it’s regularly closed for is North. Even Saints had the full top deck open last week against Freo with a 19k crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back