Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d love to know the breakdown of Swans supporters who show up to these games in Melbourne.

How many are locals with South Melbourne history, locals with Sydney connections and visitors from Sydney?

They always have such a strong presence at games here.

I’d love to know the breakdown of Swans supporters who show up to these games in Melbourne.

How many are locals with South Melbourne history, locals with Sydney connections and visitors from Sydney?

They always have such a strong presence at games here.

Last times the Swans made the finals whilst in Melbourne

1977 (7th out of 12 for attendances)
1970 (6th out of 12 for attendances)

Perhaps the Swans base in Melbourne was actually bigger than the smaller Victorian clubs before they left. Would make sense given their Melbourne attendances 45 years later

Perhaps the Swans base in Melbourne was actually bigger than the smaller Victorian clubs before they left. Would make sense given their Melbourne attendances 45 years later

My gut feel is that there’s more people there that have moved to Melbourne from Sydney/NSW (temporarily or permanently) than those who are there because of South Melbourne. But I’ve got nothing to back that up.

My gut feel is that there’s more people there that have moved to Melbourne from Sydney/NSW (temporarily or permanently) than those who are there because of South Melbourne. But I’ve got nothing to back that up.
Regardless of that, it is certainly impressive that they bring their 10-15k at Marvel and the MCG every time they play in Melbourne.
They are also some of the most vile in the afl reserve.

I think there would be a bit of this, but it’s gotta be passed on down the family generation lines doesn’t it?

Brisbane have the ability to pull large Melbourne numbers too which is why I lean towards a generational support thing.

Swans also push their “Melbourne” membership quite hard and do deals to get them all together in big blocks like tonight etc which also help.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

27,377 at marvel. Good enough for a Thursday
Bloody very good for a Thurs night considering Friday is a normal working and school day that would keep a lot of families away!
Nearly double the NRL crowd at Accor Stadium Sydney Olympic Park - so what do you a say to that BS artist and bogan carpet bagger V'Landys considering your claim RL to be way the biggest football code in the nation??

Last edited:
I thought I would continue this chat in another thread which seems suitable for the topic of another AFL Stadium in Sydney, where GWS can play their entire season. Here is a link: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...rpose-afl-ground-sydney.1320563/post-83698841
Fully agree, we have 1 home game on the Gold Coast over an 8 week period right in the middle of the season. It just kills all the momentum of building a culture of attending matches here that we desperately need.

There needs to be 11 games on the coast to keep that attendance culture going throughout the year.

Giants have the same issue, they kill off any attending habits at the start of the season by choice, by not playing in Sydney for months.

The one game at Blacktown in 2012 had the same crowds as last weekend (7k). Surely between there, ACCOR (could play Pies or Blues and get 20k - 25k) and the SCG, they can play all of their games in Sydney.

I agree, I think playing across a few locations (in Sydney) would also help them to attract new fans. Henson park I like too, that gets a big turnout for aflw games.

That one game in Blacktown was literally their second home game and novelty value alone of playing the second game made it possible.

If we're talking second venues, surely a slightly upgraded Henson Park is the answer, despite the inner west being Swans territory.

Agree.

As another poster mentioned, we have a similar situation at the Giants.

We have 1 game at Engie stadium in 3 months at the start of the season. It makes it near impossible to build that attendance culture and kills off any momentum that could build throughout the season.

When we're back at Engie with regularity in the second half of the season, we have 5 home games left and the season is over. 5 regular home games may be enough to gain a little momentum after the extended hiatus but it's too short of a timeframe before the season is over, IMO.

Currently the Giants have a contract till at least 2032 to play 3 AFL games in Canberra (with an option of a 4th game if parties agree) and a pre-season game.

Probably best just to avoid Accor/Stadium Australia.

Whilst the three games GWS has hosted at venue has achieved GWS three highest home and away crowds. However they were against local team Swans who would have the greatest pulling power for attendance.

Besides from the inaugural game, the others aren’t much bigger of an attendance than the capacity of Sydney Showground.

That means having 3/4 of the stadium empty, which is not a good experience.

View attachment 1995907

That is another thing they need to fix. All western suburbs should be in the Giants zone. Bankstown is zoned to Swans. Rediculous.

Not by choice they have to vacate the ground for the Royal Easter Show for a few weeks!

Yes I mean they could use another Sydney venue in that time, but prefer to be missing from the state for a long time.

It’s almost like there are no other AFL grounds in Sydney. Plenty of options to play games closer than Canberra.

Henson Park could easily be made an AFL standard venue if you assume GWS isn't potentially getting more than 15,000 or whatever to a home game.

I agree Henson park would be very good, it gets good crowds and having a presence there will attract new fans for the giants in a footy friendly area. I wonder what the difference in requirements is between an afl level venue and an afl w one. Because the W play there all the time.

You would need a new stand with media, corporate and change rooms. 5k undercover seating would boost capacity over 10k which is plenty.

Agree 100% already in its current undeveloped state is listed as having a capacity of 30,000 and would not need a huge amount of funding maybe $100 million would be enough for starters to get it up to AFL standard - the AFLW already play matches there and get good crowds so there is no reason that GWS would do any worse!

It would also take it up to the NRL with their old school suburban stadium strategy.

It might be what the Sydney public prefer anyway. Looking at their history, they show up to the smaller suburban venues, but nobody goes to the bigger stadiums and complexes in their other sports, the stadiums are basically empty. The Giants would be well served in taking some of these 'easy wins' in the background whilst doing the harder yards in gws itself.

Last edited:
Anything over 50,000 at Optus Stadium tonight would be a great result and once again confirm that the AFL is the most supported and largest National football code in the nation with matches played all around the nation at places like Alice Springs, Hobart,Canberra, Launceston, Darwin, Cairns, GC and the Adelaide Hills.

Eventually the AFLW will also be the largest women's football code in Australia esp as the league improves both in
playing standard and crowd wise.

Anything over 50,000 at Optus Stadium tonight would be a great result and once again confirm that the AFL is the most supported and largest National football code in the nation with matches played all around the nation at places like Alice Springs, Hobart,Canberra, Launceston, Darwin, Cairns, GC and the Adelaide Hills.

Eventually the AFLW will also be the largest women's football code in Australia esp as the league improves both in
playing standard and crowd wise.
It definitely will be over 50,000 and that is also due to the fact one of the big 4 is playing them. Collingwood is the probably the perfect side for that to occur tonight.

It definitely will be over 50,000 and that is also due to the fact one of the big 4 is playing them. Collingwood is the probably the perfect side for that to occur tonight.
It was always going to be a big crowd, but sales have certainly exceeded expectation. Just 9 tickets left for the public on Ticketmaster. If members show they should beat 51,037 for a new record non-derby crowd (which was only set in round 3 earlier this year vs Adelaide). Very impressive given the game starts 6:10pm local on a weekday. Freo have really established themselves as a proper big club lately.

2e20cf7ef9987733bef8f6266c1adbc4.jpg

You can’t even say their form is that impressive, which makes it all the more impressive.

A couple of mates in WA have always said 30K at a Freo is a much better atmosphere than 50K at a Westcoast game with different age demographics and ability to turn up and go. - Have no idea how reliable that is.

Little brother isn’t that little anymore.
Should be a ripping atmosphere.

Also like that that have a membership resale and letting fans know that they may come available late.

Tick, tick, tick.

Was disappointed with the overall crowd and the Sydney contribution. Even allowing for a cold Thursday night would have expected 17k+ from my mob.

The barracking cultures of the Sydney Swans attendees and the Melbourne Bloods attendees are different. There are heaps like me with family history., plus one group of Vics with neither Sydney nor old South connections but who ended up somehow barracking for the Bloods.

To make a gross generalisation:

• the SCG provides a fairly friendly place for Oppo fans. The culture is more Carn the Swans.
  • There is of course history between South folk and Vic teams and this comes to the fore against particular teams. Carlton and nmfc fans cop it, much to their confusion. The culture is more Carn the Bloods.
Would be great to have some decent research.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was disappointed with the overall crowd and the Sydney contribution. Even allowing for a cold Thursday night would have expected 17k+ from my mob.

The barracking cultures of the Sydney Swans attendees and the Melbourne Bloods attendees are different. There are heaps like me with family history., plus one group of Vics with neither Sydney nor old South connections but who ended up somehow barracking for the Bloods.

To make a gross generalisation:

• the SCG provides a fairly friendly place for Oppo fans. The culture is more Carn the Swans.
  • There is of course history between South folk and Vic teams and this comes to the fore against particular teams. Carlton and nmfc fans cop it, much to their confusion. The culture is more Carn the Bloods.
Would be great to have some decent research.
As discussed in earlier posts, Sydney don’t bring 17,000 people to Victorian games.
The bright red sticks out in the crowd more than most other teams (only rivalled by the yellow of Richmond and hawthorn) so it looks like there are more swans fans then there actually are.
Sydney brings 10-15k most games at the G and a little less to Marvel.

Sydney also don’t ever outnumber the dogs or North in Melbourne despite Sydney posters claiming they do

Interestingly, The final against Carlton last year was the lowest Sydney turnout I’ve ever seen in Melbourne.

As discussed in earlier posts, Sydney don’t bring 17,000 people to Victorian games.
The bright red sticks out in the crowd more than most other teams (only rivalled by the yellow of Richmond and hawthorn) so it looks like there are more swans fans then there actually are.

Sydney also don’t ever outnumber the dogs or North in Melbourne despite Sydney posters claiming they do

Interestingly, The final against Carlton last year was the lowest Sydney turnout I’ve ever seen in Melbourne.
We can run basic regression statistics in Melbourne crowds. Swans bring roughly a but under third of the crowd generally, keeping in mind they're probably not bringing 20k vs Pies etc.

There'd likely be just short of 7-8k. Which is correct, because the Dogs have not had fewer than 21kish fans to a home game since the flag, and are coming off two wins. Suggesting 10+k Swans suggests only 17k Dogs fans which is just too few.

The next time they made finals was 1945!!!!

They had 104K for the first final in a generation in 1970 against the saints. It was the lowest attended final that year but that is larger than what Fitzroy ever got.

The Lakeside Oval was fantastic ground back in the day. Heck, it was the first ground to have night matches in the 50's. Was outdated as a venue by the time South Moved.

100% agree there were more Sydney fans v Carlton in 2017 at the MCG than than last years final.

Fremantle vs Collingwood
Surely given the attendances and growth in Perth over the last few years despite the two teams not being in the best shape, is the best argument for a 20th AFL team out there? You could almost guarantee a 3rd Perth team would pull their weight in terms of crowd, sponsorship and overall revenue.

Last edited:
Surely given the attendances and growth in Perth over the last few years despite the two teams not being in the best shape, is the best argument for a 20th AFL team out there? You could almost guarantee a 3rd Perth team would pull their weight in terms of crowd, sponsorship and overall revenue.

2x max is ideal for any city. Builds a rivalry and doesn’t oversaturate

Why put a 3rd team that will pull in no extra AFL supporters into a city that is thriving in the current climate. If anything put in the extra 10K seats and leave both these clubs to become absolute powerhouses.

Same argument with Adelaide.

In an ideal world Tassie comes in and two Melbourne teams combine but that will never happen.

Tassie and NT will eventually happen, god knows the time frame though.

But, but Darwin has a population of 140k, with the closest city 20 hours drive away, surely that's a better option than a city that will have nearly 3 million people by 2030 and only 2 teams 😅.

On the train and walk to Optus from the station, there is a lot of Collingwood supporters interspersed amongst the Freo crowd.

View attachment 1999172
View attachment 1999173

Edit: it’s first quarter, and definitely over 50,000 here.

Edit2: it’s half time, I reckon there is around 55,000 here.

Thanks for posting these! Haven’t been to Perth myself, it’s interesting to see what the walk up looks like.

Inevitably (in the very, very long term) we’ll end up with 24 teams, with WA/SA/NSW/QLD getting a third team each.

Right now, it’s pretty hard to argue against WA3 as the next one in.

Darwin would be a loss leader and a tough sell logistically (although the most likely), Canberra would make sense but hurt the Giants, and the other states aren’t ready for a third team.

I feel we’ll get WA3 as the 21st team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back