Injury 2024 Crows Injury Update

Remove this Banner Ad

****!

Double ****

Crows haven’t been able to take a trick since we lost Murray last season 😡

Please nobody tell me ‘next man up’. Worrells as good as he is and in as good a form as he was, don’t grow on trees.

If there is ever a position where they do grow on trees, it's the defensive third tall.

On that note, that might have been the worst possible time to break your arm for Woz as well, as it now solves our Curtin dilemma by freeing that spot up - and our subs the last two weeks have really been 'we want Curtin in but we can't fit him'.

****!

Double ****

Crows haven’t been able to take a trick since we lost Murray last season 😡

Please nobody tell me ‘next man up’. Worrells as good as he is and in as good a form as he was, don’t grow on trees.
yep, but the change that we should be making is structural and would be as follows

Michalanney Butts Hinge
Smith Keane Hamill

Where Hinge becomes our Worrell replacement as 3rd man up and we can stay nimble. Should we play a side with 3 talls, then Borlase comes in.

You may ask where is Curtin in all that (rhetorically)?? - my answer is 'on a f**king wing where he bloody well should be being played;

If there is ever a position where they do grow on trees, it's the third defensive tall.

That might have been the worst possible time to break your arm for Woz as well, as it now solves our Curtin dilemma and gives him that spot.
Worrell was definitely in form but yeah it's one of the easier positions to fill. To begin with, Keane can definitely do it.

Does make it easier to retain Curtin if they want to but another defensive tall in with Keane as the less accountable tall defender is a valid option as well.

Worrell was definitely in form but yeah it's one of the easier positions to fill. To begin with, Keane can definitely do it.

Does make it easier to retain Curtin if they want to but another defensive tall in with Keane as the less accountable tall defender is a valid option as well.

Whilst Keane would absolutely kill it as a third tall, I don't think it's the right move to shift him seeing what he's doing at CHB. You've got your guy who can go both ways and do a respectable job against the big threats of the competition. I think here we're just waiting for Murray to be back so we can free Keane up against the 2KPF's of the competition - not something you can do with Butts being a rather middling key back.

I think this is an easy swap between Curtin and Worrell with us likely switching Worrell for another midfielder. Keeps a defensive structure that has been working well and solves a dilemma we walked ourselves into. Potentially might be the magical ticket for Schoenberg to come back, or a Dowling debut.

Whilst Keane would absolutely kill it as a third tall, I don't think it's the right move to shift him seeing what he's doing at CHB. You've got your guy who can go both ways and do a respectable job against the big threats of the competition. I think here we're just waiting for Murray to be back so we can free Keane up against the 2KPF's of the competition - not something you can do with Butts being a rather middling key back.

I think this is an easy swap between Curtin and Worrell with us likely switching Worrell for another midfielder. Keeps a defensive structure that has been working well and solves a dilemma we walked ourselves into. Potentially might be the magical ticket for Schoenberg to come back, or a Dowling debut.
I agree, my preference would be to retain Curtin if they think it's remotely feasible and see how he goes in the Worrell role for a couple of weeks. Particularly because Collingwood aren't exactly flush with tall forwards, and you could even have guys like Hinge do a defensive role.

Scorpus made the point in the changes threads that most of our games after that before the bye are against weaker clubs where we could more reasonably carry a slightly undercooked defence, and we'll know more about how Curtin is going by the time we get to the Sydney game.

My point was more just that Worrell is a manageable loss, even though he was playing very well, because we could just play Keane in that role.

Think it's a fair loss for us. He's pretty good on talls, good as an intercept and has decent footskills and decision making. Butts is the opposite of that right now and Borlase, while good depth, is prone to brain fades under pressure.

Sucks, I've loved the Tandem of Max and Josh as the non key position defenders.

I really hope Dan gets a block now. Start him as an 3rd tall interceptor and let him roam/get confidence at the level. He looks flustered right now, but I'd prefer to let him get his teething block in while we have Murray and Worrell out of the team with injury.

Otherwise it may take a long time given how well Keane has come on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injury list as of Tuesday, May 14:

Luke Pedlar (shoulder) 1-2 weeks

Nick Murray (knee) 2-3 weeks

Riley Thilthorpe (knee) 6-8 weeks

Josh Worrell (arm) 8-12 weeks

Wayne Milera (knee) season

Patrick Parnell (shoulder) season

RT would be much nicer in a 2-4 bracket.

Key forward Riley Thilthorpe will take a step forward in his return from knee surgery by starting running this week.

“Riley will jump on the Alter-G treadmill this week which is a treadmill which takes a bit of weight off his body,” Burgess said.

“So that’s pleasing that he’s starting to run and then he will work through the progressions from there.

“He’s making great progress, he’s done everything that we’ve asked and he’s certainly put on some lean mass so people will be excited to see the shape that he comes back in.”

My wife was in Calvary the same week as RT with back surgery and she is almost ready to play. What's RT's problem. :cool:
glitch whatever GIF

Mrs Eagleboy.

From the AFC website:
“Van Berlo said it was disappointing, following the 24-year-old's solid performance against Collingwood, which included 30 disposals, 16 contested possessions, eight clearances and 699 metres gained.

"Speaking to Darren (Burgess) we believe it's similar in nature to what he did last year and it will be around about the three-week mark," van Berlo said.”

In the form of his life, only to get a free kick paid against for running his guts out to get the team over the line, and now a hammy! I really hope he keeps the fire burning during the weeks off in rehab. Rankine prime form is about the closest thing to McLeod at peak. It’s footy poetry, honestly.

The major concern is that his left leg hamstring injury isn't just a one off.

It's the same one he did last year and the one that was giving him all the grief at Gold Coast.

I know Hamish Hartlett back in the day had a procedure done to fix his problem hamstring, I'm not sure whether that could possibly be a option for Rankine?

As I mentioned elsewhere, it sucks, but if we have to lose Rankine for three weeks, this this is probably the best three-week period of the season to do it.

Meanwhile, it's over to Burgess to earn the big bucks and find a way to stop these hamstrings from being a regular occurrence. We need a consistently fit Rankine if we're going to eventually move into premiership contention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back