List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

You reckon if he went first round we wouldn't have matched? I think we would've and he was always coming to us as an academy pick.

With the benefit of hindsight, Stephens was not the player we needed from the 2019 draft. We had taken McInerney the previous year and would've known we were taking at least one of Gulden and Campbell in the 2020 draft. Plus Joey was getting on and we were already starting to show issues with our stoppage and clearance work. Serong or even Flanders would've been perfect.

But I stress, this is all hindsight and admit, I was very impressed by Stephens as a junior and excited by his recruitment. Over all, we have definitely won more than we have lost at the draft but watching Serong play last night, I did have a twinge of regret (and yes, he was a Swans fan......).
Personally, I am less concerned about the draft and more interested in our ability to hold onto players. There are a LOT of Swans players playing best 22 for other teams. I want that kept to a minimum moving forward.

Personally, I am less concerned about the draft and more interested in our ability to hold onto players. There are a LOT of Swans players playing best 22 for other teams. I want that kept to a minimum moving forward.
Dawson
Newman
Hewett
Mitchell
Cameron
Rohan
Pink
Stephens
Aliir
Naismith
Jones
Membrey

That is it I think

Gus will be gone at the end of 2025 if Horse keeps him in the VFL.

It makes me a sad Quacker.

Here’s an out there thought, if Haywood leaves at end of the year, and we want another fast endurance player to fill that defensive running high half forward role, do we get Lloyd to have a go?

Lloyd is getting pushed out of the back line and we are stacked with wingers. He is also a great shot for goal from around 50. He wouldn’t tackle with the same aggression as Haywood, but he would drive opposition half back flankers nuts but never letting them find loose space. He can also do the link up plays well and isn’t bad delivering into 50. He would take as many contested marks, which may be the strongest reason not to consider him.
Lloyd for me is your traditional run and carry wingman. I think he & McInerney need to be our wing duo for the foreseeable future with Gulden spending more time inside* and Campbell being a TBD. The player I actually reckon fits the bill of what you've described would be Jordon. He's shown potential to negate opponents, has a great tank to work up and down the ground, and has shown glimpses of nous around goal. Horse is also on record as having said that he sees potential for Jordon on a forward flank.

*Not saying I want this, I've just heard it's a fait accompli.

The two factors that make me think retaining Hayward is going to be difficult are the fact he's been in our top 25% of earners, and the level of opposition interest.

If he wasn't in our top 25% of earners, he'd possibly have lower expectations of what he could and should reasonably be offered this year. Instead with so many at the club surpassing him, if he is to stay a Swan he'd very likely have to take a substantial decrease. It'd be a big ask to do that when...

...there are clubs seemingly very keen to get him, and, presumably, pay him to do so. It then also becomes a point of it being hard for the club to say no to offers such as the rumoured two first-rounders.

Shaping to be a classic case of other clubs needing Hayward more than we do.

Next year I agree, this should be Reid's last year, but I would be okay signing him for the VFL next year with a coaching role attached whatever.

This is the Swans with estimates on long term injuries, if he is back before round 20 I'd be highly surprised lol

I'd actually like to take a MSD one, take a punt on a genuine lockdown defender or whatever.
There's no reason for us to go to the MSD this year. We have enough depth to cover and given our ladder position we are too far down the list to make it worthwhile.

There's no reason for us to go to the MSD this year. We have enough depth to cover and given our ladder position we are too far down the list to make it worthwhile.

If we can we should and you can swing for the fences on a tall that you wouldn't normally take but have a punt in a MSD, or a genuine small defender, whatever.

Jon Ralph has made a career out of piecing together a few rumours and pretending they are news, but assuming all that is true ...

... it is probably logical that Will leaves.

I think Will is underrated by a lot on here and we would miss him, but he just isn't worth huge money. And given we have the option of matching a deal to force a trade, it makes sense for us to let him go.

We should offer a responsible contract that is in line with where he sits in the team, but if another team want to offer him something stupid like 800k+ then you'd just shake his hand and say good luck.
This was in the media thread , Ralph has no idea

The MSD is another opportunity to find a long term player, not just a short term covering option.

If we have someone who is long term injured / retired, I think it's pretty much always worth it. You've got half a season to evaluate a prospect and first dibs on a longer contract.

However, if you don't have a spot, you don't have a spot. If we think Mills is going to be back in time to help, then you wouldn't try and manufacture a spot. Same with Reid, if the club thinks he'll at least be available for VFL soon.

The MSD is another opportunity to find a long term player, not just a short term covering option.

If we have someone who is long term injured / retired, I think it's pretty much always worth it. You've got half a season to evaluate a prospect and first dibs on a longer contract.

However, if you don't have a spot, you don't have a spot. If we think Mills is going to be back in time to help, then you wouldn't try and manufacture a spot. Same with Reid, if the club thinks he'll at least be available for VFL soon.
Yes …
Unless Reid does a season ending hammy, he is there as insurance. No point changing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph has made a career out of piecing together a few rumours and pretending they are news, but assuming all that is true ...

I think Will is underrated by a lot on here and we would miss him, but he just isn't worth huge money. And given we have the option of matching a deal to force a trade, it makes sense for us to let him go.

We should offer a responsible contract that is in line with where he sits in the team, but if another team want to offer him something stupid like 800k+ then you'd just shake his hand and say good luck.
He's worth huge money if you need a medium forward. If he leaves, we will need a medium forward...

Max 800k is fair. If he doesn't agree then throw it at Bailey Banfield.

He's worth huge money if you need a medium forward. If he leaves, we will need a medium forward...

Max 800k is fair. If he doesn't agree then throw it at Bailey Banfield.
I think that is way too much personality, regardless of his position.

Wicks provides 90% of what Hayward provides and wouldn't be on half of that.

Plus we have the option to match and force a trade. Hopefully it is Adelaide and we can start getting some payback for Dawson.

I think that is way too much personality, regardless of his position.

Wicks provides 90% of what Hayward provides and wouldn't be on half of that.

Plus we have the option to match and force a trade. Hopefully it is Adelaide and we can start getting some payback for Dawson.
Hayward makes those attacking, intercept backs accountable and can also provide an outlet target further up the ground (which we sorely miss from Reid). Wicks provides manic pressure in the forward 50. I don’t think we should give away the farm for Hayward but he won’t be easy to replace, and definitely not by Wicks. There’s a reason Hayward is sought after.

Hayward makes those attacking, intercept backs accountable and can also provide an outlet target further up the ground (which we sorely miss from Reid). Wicks provides manic pressure in the forward 50. I don’t think we should give away the farm for Hayward but he won’t be easy to replace, and definitely not by Wicks. There’s a reason Hayward is sought after.
Fox for the next 2 years on those interceptor/rebound types. Then draft a medium forward or two this year.

Mills another option, since he's a decent mark and set shot.

Could try to get Magor to focus on the role.

Fox for the next 2 years on those interceptor/rebound types. Then draft a medium forward or two this year.

Mills another option, since he's a decent mark and set shot.

Could try to get Magor to focus on the role.
Yeah there’s obviously things we would try but it’s unlikely they’d be as effective as Hayward. If the club thinks we’re in a premiership window you don’t really want to make do.

I always think McInerney plays shorter than his height suggests - his stats have him taller than Mills. If we end up with a glut of wingers (Lloyd, Jordan, Campbell) maybe he could play that high half forward role.

As an RFA it's fair enough for his agent to test the market and check back with the Swans. I wonder if we have already made an offer? I would prefer to keep Will but if money rules.... so be it.

He'll stay but they need to significantly increase his pay. Not currently in top 10 apparently.
He is irreplaceable. Deserves to be upgraded. I reckon a lot of clubs will be eyeing him off and placing huge offers in the table. Both him and Will are both only 25. Arguably can still improve. Both at the top of their game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back