List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside, looking at our list and Tassie incoming, hope we look into some more speculative/long developing players.

They should be looking at an expansion draft for Tassie. They have had, and still have, years to get it organised.

Would resolve all the fairness issues and drafting ruining that everyone seems to think is unavoidable and Tasmania would actually be decent straight away.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m still scratching my head as to why we used our 1st round pick on a green (pardon the pun) young ruckman?

It’s just that the lead time to develop them is so long and even then you’re not guaranteed a successful outcome? 🤷‍♂️

Feels like to me you can get greater bang for your buck by picking off 2nd and 3rd string rucks who’ve already shown a bit at the senior level, and are looking for a change of scenery (sadly this happened in reverse for us with Nanks and Darcy Cameron 🤷‍♂️)… and the obvious advantage is they’re already proven (to some degree) and can play immediately should there be any injuries?

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m still scratching my head as to why we used our 1st round pick on a green (pardon the pun) young ruckman?

It’s just that the lead time to develop them is so long and even then you’re not guaranteed a successful outcome? 🤷‍♂️

Feels like to me you can get greater bang for your buck by picking off 2nd and 3rd string rucks who’ve already shown a bit at the senior level, and are looking for a change of scenery (sadly this happened in reverse for us with Nanks and Darcy Cameron 🤷‍♂️)… and the obvious advantage is they’re already proven (to some degree) and can play immediately should there be any injuries?
The thought im guessing looking at the side was that Grundy can play for 3-4 years so by then Green will be good and also probably shows the level of trust in Ladhams and McAndrew that they got another ruckman to develop. Also think they knew the midfield was stacked and when you look at the boys in the academy coming through this year and next they cover the small defender role. Based off of memory the only one below Green that has done anything is Wilson but we had 3 wingers already and added JJ so that was never an option. When you look at it like that our pick wasn't really going to have a chance at playing so the best ruckman and also a ruckman that can do alot around the ground in Green was probably the best decision.

That's probably the aim with Green. Certainly a left-field choice even for us taking a ruck in the 1st round, but wouldn't have done it unless we thought he could potentially be elite.
If he can pull a few more performances like that one of Stretch or Ladhams will be gone for sure.

Agree. In the first half of the 2s last night I was really impressed by Will Green who I thought was more than handy. McAndrew has been stiff with injury but when able to play before the concussion was working his way into it.

Think we are ok for back ups.

Have a feeling Ladhams will get offers elsewhere.
Contracted next year, Stretch this year.

The thought im guessing looking at the side was that Grundy can play for 3-4 years so by then Green will be good and also probably shows the level of trust in Ladhams and McAndrew that they got another ruckman to develop. Also think they knew the midfield was stacked and when you look at the boys in the academy coming through this year and next they cover the small defender role. Based off of memory the only one below Green that has done anything is Wilson but we had 3 wingers already and added JJ so that was never an option. When you look at it like that our pick wasn't really going to have a chance at playing so the best ruckman and also a ruckman that can do alot around the ground in Green was probably the best decision.
✅

Good points, what you say makes sense for us at the moment 👍

Good points, what you say makes sense for us at the moment 👍
Yep the only other players i thought we could have looked at with pick 16 were Leake, Schoenmaker, Murphy. As you can see i thought we might have gone for another key defender but we rectified this by selecting Snell who i reckon is doing as good if not a better job than those guys. However, you have to bear in mind that all 3 of the guys above have spent time injured and Schoenmaker was going to most likely debut last weekend before injury.

I thought it was the perfect time to draft a highly rated ruck (and a tall defender)
Swans have 3 years of draftees that cant get a game (with the exception of Roberts), so there was no need to draft a player that was ready or close to ready to play this year.
Swans are always going to support the Academy and therefore were always going to draft Cleary & Kirk - who are now other smalls that need to play 1-2-3 years in the reserves.. (Corey Warner, Sheldrick, Konstany, Mitchell, Vickery, etc)
Having 3-4 years development under the guidance of Cox and Grundy would be every young Rucks dream, and likely to be very appreciated by Green.. This appreciation and this development can only be good for future performance and loyalty to the Club.

Will be interesting how the Swans view the development of McAndrew and Green, and whether they think that these two and McLean can cover for an injury to Grundy next year.. If so, will the Swans trade Ladhams out? Hes playing decent footy and likely to have suiters, it would also help with salary cap.

Yep the only other players i thought we could have looked at with pick 16 were Leake, Schoenmaker, Murphy. As you can see i thought we might have gone for another key defender but we rectified this by selecting Snell who i reckon is doing as good if not a better job than those guys. However, you have to bear in mind that all 3 of the guys above have spent time injured and Schoenmaker was going to most likely debut last weekend before injury.
Schoenmaker was lucky to be drafted at all after some very serious allegations came to the fore.

No surprises that the culture club St Kilda took him.

He could have been rated the best player in the draft and I still wouldn't want him at our football club.

Leake is an interesting prospect and can play a number of positions but I suspect with the logjam of talent we have at the moment and the pending Tassie expansion it probably snuffed any interest.

Very happy with the Green pick at this point in time, as at the very least, rucks make for good trade currency if you time their contracts well enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schoenmaker was lucky to be drafted at all after some very serious allegations came to the fore.

No surprises that the culture club St Kilda took him.

He could have been rated the best player in the draft and I still wouldn't want him at our football club.

Leake is an interesting prospect and can play a number of positions but I suspect with the logjam of talent we have at the moment and the pending Tassie expansion it probably snuffed any interest.

Very happy with the Green pick at this point in time, as at the very least, rucks make for good trade currency if you time their contracts well enough.
Agree i forgot to add all of the knocks that those 3 guys have. Schoenmaker imo will come good just think he will need some time to mature. Leake is injured atm i believe so we will see how he goes when fit. Murphy slide but i think it was because he got through all of the teams that needed KPD so just shows how when most teams draft best fit that these types of guys can slide.

I thought it was the perfect time to draft a highly rated ruck (and a tall defender)
Swans have 3 years of draftees that cant get a game (with the exception of Roberts), so there was no need to draft a player that was ready or close to ready to play this year.
Swans are always going to support the Academy and therefore were always going to draft Cleary & Kirk - who are now other smalls that need to play 1-2-3 years in the reserves.. (Corey Warner, Sheldrick, Konstany, Mitchell, Vickery, etc)
Having 3-4 years development under the guidance of Cox and Grundy would be every young Rucks dream, and likely to be very appreciated by Green.. This appreciation and this development can only be good for future performance and loyalty to the Club.

Will be interesting how the Swans view the development of McAndrew and Green, and whether they think that these two and McLean can cover for an injury to Grundy next year.. If so, will the Swans trade Ladhams out? Hes playing decent footy and likely to have suiters, it would also help with salary cap.
I would hold onto Ladhams for as long as we can as the minute Grundy gets injured I think we'd rely on the former greatly. Although I think Stretch is only another preseason away from being a handy backup it just doesn't hurt to retain key talls in a premiership window. So far we've had a pretty decent run at injuries but that can change in a heart beat.

Ladhams will get offers though so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I would hold onto Ladhams for as long as we can as the minute Grundy gets injured I think we'd rely on the former greatly. Although I think Stretch is only another preseason away from being a handy backup it just doesn't hurt to retain key talls in a premiership window. So far we've had a pretty decent run at injuries but that can change in a heart beat.

Ladhams will get offers though so it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Stretch retied many years ago

I am not so sure about the Ladhams getting offers thing.

I don't think any other team would be looking at him as anything other than a backup to another ruckman, which is where he has found himself with us.

I am not so sure about the Ladhams getting offers thing.

I don't think any other team would be looking at him as anything other than a backup to another ruckman, which is where he has found himself with us.
I totally disagree as key talls are almost always in demand and Ladhams is playing well enough to get noticed.

Considering we also drafted a ruck with our first pick last year, it might have rubbed Pete the wrong way and it could fast track a decision to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

We also bang on about our cost of living to rival posters all the time so Ladhams might actually follow that logic and be eager to ply his trade in a much cheaper city behind a potentially ageing or injury prone first ruck rather than hope and pray Grundy suffers a serious injury.

Personally, I don't think it's inconceivable at all that Ladhams has offers coming his way or that his management isn't investigating more opportunities all the same.

Last edited:
I totally disagree as key talls are almost always in demand and Ladhams is playing well enough to get noticed.

Considering we also drafted a ruck with our first pick last year, it might have rubbed Pete the wrong way and it could fast track a decision to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

We also bang on about our cost of living to rival posters all the time so Ladhams might actually follow that logic and be eager to ply his trade in a much cheaper city behind a potentially ageing or injury prone first ruck rather than hope and pray Grundy suffers a serious injury.

Personally, I don't think it's inconceivable at all that Ladhams has offers coming his way or that his management isn't investigating more opportunities all the same.
I am not saying it is inconceivable that another club might be interested in Ladhams.

I just don't see where the significant interest would be or where he would get more opportunity than he is currently getting. He'd be leaving us to go play for reserves for another team.

I am not saying it is inconceivable that another club might be interested in Ladhams.

I just don't see where the significant interest would be or where he would get more opportunity than he is currently getting. He'd be leaving us to go play for reserves for another team.
I think your comment was deserving of further investigation so I actually took the time to analyse the competition’s first choice ruck men and I genuinely think 4-6 clubs could offer Ladhams a decent chance of cracking first grade based off this year's pending free agents, injury prone players and a general lack of competitiveness within the ruck position.

He's only 26 and his body is in pretty good nick so in theory Ladhams best football is still ahead of him.

Yep agree.. Right now if Grundy or McLean gets injured, Ladhams plays.. maybe even comes in if Logan or Amartey get injured.
Our depth of talls up forward as well as ruck is pretty thin.

I think your comment was deserving of further investigation so I actually took the time to analyse the competition’s first choice ruck men and I genuinely think 4-6 clubs could offer Ladhams a decent chance of cracking first grade based off this year's pending free agents, injury prone players and a general lack of competitiveness within the ruck position.

He's only 26 and his body is in pretty good nick so in theory Ladhams best football is still ahead of him.

Being realistic if we were to trade Ladhams surely it would be a 3rd rounder? Doesn't really help the cause tbh so holding him until his contract expires to protect us is probably the better bet.

On another note does anyone know how long Sam Reid is out because surely if he is out till like Round 15/16 he might as well retire now and allow us a MSD pick (if i have gotten the rules right about that?)

On another note does anyone know how long Sam Reid is out because surely if he is out till like Round 15/16 he might as well retire now and allow us a MSD pick (if i have gotten the rules right about that?)
Do we need one? There's no position that we're particularly stretched for depth and we already have players stuck in the reserves who might be getting games at another club. Anyone we draft in the MSD is highly unlikely to leapfrog any of our current VFL players.

It's said to be a weak pool for the MSD this year, and we'd have the last pick in the first round. What's the point?

I also note that list spots will be at a premium at the end of the year. Reid is the only likely retiree. Arnold's place is probably at risk. Maybe Magor's, Konstanty's, Vickery's. But they're all pretty early in their development and I'm not willing to write off any of their futures yet. Not in favour of a late pick in a weak MSD, meaning that MSD draftee would have their work cut out to stay on the list for more than six months.

Being realistic if we were to trade Ladhams surely it would be a 3rd rounder? Doesn't really help the cause tbh so holding him until his contract expires to protect us is probably the better bet.

He could retire, but he doesn't need to. We could simply put him on the long term injury list. That rubs him out for the reminder of the season and effectively opens up another list spot. I could only see either of those happening if we rated someone in the draft. However I think we'd only be looking for long term recruits or an immediate answer to our KPD depth. I doubt we'd find a ready to go quality KPD and why bother recruiting for the long term in the mid season draft when we have two first rounders at the end of this year?

Do we need one? There's no position that we're particularly stretched for depth and we already have players stuck in the reserves who might be getting games at another club. Anyone we draft in the MSD is highly unlikely to leapfrog any of our current VFL players.

It's said to be a weak pool for the MSD this year, and we'd have the last pick in the first round. What's the point?

I also note that list spots will be at a premium at the end of the year. Reid is the only likely retiree. Arnold's place is probably at risk. Maybe Magor's, Konstanty's, Vickery's. But they're all pretty early in their development and I'm not willing to write off any of their futures yet. Not in favour of a late pick in a weak MSD, meaning that MSD draftee would have their work cut out to stay on the list for more than six months.
True very likely we only have like 3/4 players not offered contracts and there probably will be nothing for us in the MSD as the weakest position in the squad currently is probably Wicks and you have konstanty waiting there in the 2s. I say 3/4 changes because it could easily be 2 First Round selections then also matching Cochran and taking one of the academy boys in the rookie draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back