List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep agree.. Right now if Grundy or McLean gets injured, Ladhams plays.. maybe even comes in if Logan or Amartey get injured.
Our depth of talls up forward as well as ruck is pretty thin.
Hamling might get the call up as the forward to fill in for Armaty or McDonald. He's been in good touch in the seconds.
Ladhams you would think would come in for Grundy if required. I'd even be tempted to do it against a lesser ruck just to manage Grundy and his workload over the season.

If we want to retain McAndrew on the list we have to find a spot on the senior list for him.

Clearing out Arnold, maybe Buller (I don’t really have a feel for where he’s at) and/or Magor (who I liked last year but hasn’t yet shown any progression this year), that will only vacate rookie list spots.

When retired and long term injured rucks get recycled all the time even if they only played 20 games in 8 years then Ladhams could well be on the radar of other clubs.
I don't remember him being on massive money when he came over so I don't think he would be squeezing the cap for us. To keep him as backup for Grundy maybe a two year deal could keep him around. After that he would need to step up as primary ruck or McAndrew or Green ready to step in.
If we did try and trade him at the end of this year we would have to rely on MacLean and Amartey or McAndrew as the chop out which would stuff up our forward line. I thought when McAndrew played last year he was a good prospect but his lack.of bulk let him get bullied off the ball a bit easier. Haven't really seen him much.this year.
Depending on demand I think Ladhams could possibly get us a lower second round pick but that's hardly here or there and having ruck coverage for Grundy next year is more important.

If we want to retain McAndrew on the list we have to find a spot on the senior list for him.

Clearing out Arnold, maybe Buller (I don’t really have a feel for where he’s at) and/or Magor (who I liked last year but hasn’t yet shown any progression this year), that will only vacate rookie list spots.
Ditto Reid is on the rookie list too. We will need probably three senior list spots for the draft plus one to elevate McAndrew. I will be very unsurprised if we try to combine our two first rounders. Currently in contracted on the senior list:
Cunningham* rookied
Fox
Francis
Hayward
Konstanty* rookied
Mitchell* rookied
Vickery* delisted
So there's a big chance 4 of those won't be offered a new contract. Ouch! Unless someone like Sheldrick or Ladhams asks to be traded or one or more of the above is delisted and replaces one or more of the rookies (my bet):
Arnold* delisted
Buller
Edwards
Kirk
Magor*delisted
McAndrew (3rd yr) to senior list one year
Reid* delisted

Ditto Reid is on the rookie list too. We will need probably three senior list spots for the draft plus one to elevate McAndrew. I will be very unsurprised if we try to combine our two first rounders. Currently in contracted on the senior list:
Cunningham* rookied
Fox
Francis
Hayward
Konstanty* rookied
Mitchell* rookied
Vickery* delisted
So there's a big chance 4 of those won't be offered a new contract. Ouch! Unless someone like Sheldrick or Ladhams asks to be traded or one or more of the above is delisted and replaces one or more of the rookies (my bet):
Arnold* delisted
Buller
Edwards
Kirk
Magor*delisted
McAndrew (3rd yr) to senior list one year
Reid* delisted
Mcdonald ???

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I think your comment was deserving of further investigation so I actually took the time to analyse the competition’s first choice ruck men and I genuinely think 4-6 clubs could offer Ladhams a decent chance of cracking first grade based off this year's pending free agents, injury prone players and a general lack of competitiveness within the ruck position.

He's only 26 and his body is in pretty good nick so in theory Ladhams best football is still ahead of him.
I think only Geelong right now would he be a first choice ruckman, maybe West Coast.

We'll see what happens in 18 months but I don't think there is going to be a huge market for Ladhams beyond filling the function that he is already filling for us.

In short, I think we will be able to retain Ladhams if we want to as I don't think there is going to be a bidding war over him. He may want to leave anyway though.

I think it makes a lot of sense this year in a midfield centric draft too, we already have Parker (I know he's at the end) and Sheldrick who can't get it, Cleary is close to games too. Not sure we really require more mids. Have a feeling we either combine them and trade up, or trade one to next year. The third option is we can trade one or both for a player we need now. We also have the Hayward thing over our head too, that could well be another one.

I think only Geelong right now would he be a first choice ruckman, maybe West Coast.

We'll see what happens in 18 months but I don't think there is going to be a huge market for Ladhams beyond filling the function that he is already filling for us.

In short, I think we will be able to retain Ladhams if we want to as I don't think there is going to be a bidding war over him. He may want to leave anyway though.
I have some vague recollection that he's on about 600-650k a season with 2025 to go on his contract. I just can't see a club matching that so unless we're willing to pay some of his last year, I think he's staying.

TBH i already started doing some research on potential draftees and honestly don't think we need a midfielder so don't think we really need to trade up. I think we will target a more lockdown defender sometime soon and also look for a fourth marking tall type of player as we sort of lost that with Heeney moving into the midfield. Guys in bold are i think more top prospects atm but very early in the year

Some guys on my list are:
Harvery Langford
Archer Day-Wicks

Lachie Jaques
Oliver Hannaford
Harrison Oliver
Keighton Matofai-Forbes
Liam Farrar
Cooper Hynes
Asher Eastham
Tobie Travaglia
Noah Yze
Zach Johnson

Haven't really figured out how we get the main list spots open yet but would like to get in 3 draftees on the main list (2 national draftees and matching Cochran) and also grab in a swans academy guy for the rookie list.
Thoughts?

TBH i already started doing some research on potential draftees and honestly don't think we need a midfielder so don't think we really need to trade up. I think we will target a more lockdown defender sometime soon and also look for a fourth marking tall type of player as we sort of lost that with Heeney moving into the midfield. Guys in bold are i think more top prospects atm but very early in the year

Some guys on my list are:
Harvery Langford
Archer Day-Wicks

Lachie Jaques
Oliver Hannaford
Harrison Oliver
Keighton Matofai-Forbes
Liam Farrar
Cooper Hynes
Asher Eastham
Tobie Travaglia
Noah Yze
Zach Johnson

Haven't really figured out how we get the main list spots open yet but would like to get in 3 draftees on the main list (2 national draftees and matching Cochran) and also grab in a swans academy guy for the rookie list.
Thoughts?

Yes and no for me, I'd still look at taking one mid or best available, honestly don't see us taking too many 'live' picks. Feel we upgrade McAndrew for starters, well it's him or a couple. Feel we will get a better guide on where a potential Cochran bid is coming that is going to be the key. Plus we don't know how and if the matching rules are going to change (they should change but this is the AFL we are talking about here).

Question is can we use lets say for arguments sake 18, 19 to get a top 10 selection BEFORE a Cochran bid? This isn't looking like last years draft where no one in their right mind would have traded a top 10 pick. Maybe 18 and 19 would be better for a club in and around the 8?

This would allow us to take best available at say 10 plus Cochran at say pick 20 ish, and then as you stated maybe look at a small defender late or a second wingman whatever we feel is the most needed. Then the usual upgrade in our 4th pick.

Yes and no for me, I'd still look at taking one mid or best available, honestly don't see us taking too many 'live' picks. Feel we upgrade McAndrew for starters, well it's him or a couple. Feel we will get a better guide on where a potential Cochran bid is coming that is going to be the key. Plus we don't know how and if the matching rules are going to change (they should change but this is the AFL we are talking about here).

Question is can we use lets say for arguments sake 18, 19 to get a top 10 selection BEFORE a Cochran bid? This isn't looking like last years draft where no one in their right mind would have traded a top 10 pick. Maybe 18 and 19 would be better for a club in and around the 8?

This would allow us to take best available at say 10 plus Cochran at say pick 20 ish, and then as you stated maybe look at a small defender late or a second wingman whatever we feel is the most needed. Then the usual upgrade in our 4th pick.
I think we are seriously overstating where Cochran is going to go. He is probably right now around the 30-40 range and that should easily be covered by 56 given the discount and the fact that pick 56 generally draws into roughly pick 45 or so by the end of all the major bid matching. 18, 19 looking at the value of picks gets the equivalent of pick 5, but we know that levi ashcroft, leo Lombard and Tyler Walsh amongst others are going to go before those picks so it probably turns into 22, 23 which is valued at pick 7 so i think the best we could do would get pick 9/10 with those two picks if we were to go up in the draft as you have to pay a premium to move up.

On your point about the midfield do we really need another midfielder. King is coming in 2025 and he could turn into either a midfielder or a key forward depending on his growth in the next 18 months. Add to that we already have Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Mitchell, Sheldrick, Parker and Cleary as pure mids alongside Mills, Gulden, Adams who can play midfield but use it as a secondary position. Think we need to target lockdown defenders as we only have Cunningham and Vickery? and also need to target marking forwards as we literally have noone coming through or in the senior side that take up the 4th forward role. (Yes Hayward to the eye looks like he should play that 4th tall role but his numbers suggest he is a better 5th tall pressure forward).

I think we are seriously overstating where Cochran is going to go. He is probably right now around the 30-40 range and that should easily be covered by 56 given the discount and the fact that pick 56 generally draws into roughly pick 45 or so by the end of all the major bid matching. 18, 19 looking at the value of picks gets the equivalent of pick 5, but we know that levi ashcroft, leo Lombard and Tyler Walsh amongst others are going to go before those picks so it probably turns into 22, 23 which is valued at pick 7 so i think the best we could do would get pick 9/10 with those two picks if we were to go up in the draft as you have to pay a premium to move up.

On your point about the midfield do we really need another midfielder. King is coming in 2025 and he could turn into either a midfielder or a key forward depending on his growth in the next 18 months. Add to that we already have Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Mitchell, Sheldrick, Parker and Cleary as pure mids alongside Mills, Gulden, Adams who can play midfield but use it as a secondary position. Think we need to target lockdown defenders as we only have Cunningham and Vickery? and also need to target marking forwards as we literally have noone coming through or in the senior side that take up the 4th forward role. (Yes Hayward to the eye looks like he should play that 4th tall role but his numbers suggest he is a better 5th tall pressure forward).

I don't look at points, the single worst thing established by the AFL and there is some competition on that front. There are some academy and FS, there's also the two Carlton FS selections (the Camporeale ones). It is likely we have pick 21 ish and pick 24-25 ish with the North compo pick. That is is they don't change things though, if they don't change it this year it's a certainty they will next year.

Do we need another midfielder maybe not but bare in mind we have Parker and Adams retiring soon, I love Taylor but this will be his last deal too. Will Sheldrick even stay that's questionable too and I love Angus.

The thing we need is that seond or third tall forward, think we gamble that one of McLean/Amartey comes good at least. However we do need one more there I agree. We do need a small defender, these can be found late though, doubt we bother going early there, just isn't the type you spend early capital on.

I don't look at points, the single worst thing established by the AFL and there is some competition on that front. There are some academy and FS, there's also the two Carlton FS selections (the Camporeale ones). It is likely we have pick 21 ish and pick 24-25 ish with the North compo pick. That is is they don't change things though, if they don't change it this year it's a certainty they will next year.

Do we need another midfielder maybe not but bare in mind we have Parker and Adams retiring soon, I love Taylor but this will be his last deal too. Will Sheldrick even stay that's questionable too and I love Angus.

The thing we need is that seond or third tall forward, think we gamble that one of McLean/Amartey comes good at least. However we do need one more there I agree. We do need a small defender, these can be found late though, doubt we bother going early there, just isn't the type you spend early capital on.
You say that but the Swans are definitely different with their drafting strategies given they drafted a ruckman in the first round and atm it seems like a decent selection. If we remove Parker and Adams from the midfield ranks and say that King becomes a key forward and not an on baller it solves in my opinion your question about key forward stocks but leaves our midfield like this Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Mitchell, Sheldrick and Cleary as pure mids alongside Mills and Gulden. That is still 8 on ballers so even removing Sheldrick if he leaves gives us 7 so maybe then we draft a midfielder. I would think if Gus wants to leave we get a mid and a 4th tall but if he doesn't then we draft a 4th tall and either trade out or draft another project player given we don't really have any specific needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You say that but the Swans are definitely different with their drafting strategies given they drafted a ruckman in the first round and atm it seems like a decent selection. If we remove Parker and Adams from the midfield ranks and say that King becomes a key forward and not an on baller it solves in my opinion your question about key forward stocks but leaves our midfield like this Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Mitchell, Sheldrick and Cleary as pure mids alongside Mills and Gulden. That is still 8 on ballers so even removing Sheldrick if he leaves gives us 7 so maybe then we draft a midfielder. I would think if Gus wants to leave we get a mid and a 4th tall but if he doesn't then we draft a 4th tall and either trade out or draft another project player given we don't really have any specific needs.

Green was close to 'best available' at that pick, it wasn't as if we took some Hail Mary, he was rated clearly the best ruck in the class. You do need mid depth, and if you look deeper we have those two plus maybe Sheldrick going, we may look at a utility type mid actually, and around our picks there will be quite a few of these, this draft is what I'll call an even top end but I do doubt the top end is last year's quality. This draft could be a role players draft, it's why I would be fine with trading into next season, or using our top two picks for trade week activities won't get into who is available but you know what I mean. I'm far from counting Mitchell for starters.

Green was close to 'best available' at that pick, it wasn't as if we took some Hail Mary, he was rated clearly the best ruck in the class. You do need mid depth, and if you look deeper we have those two plus maybe Sheldrick going, we may look at a utility type mid actually, and around our picks there will be quite a few of these, this draft is what I'll call an even top end but I do doubt the top end is last year's quality. This draft could be a role players draft, it's why I would be fine with trading into next season, or using our top two picks for trade week activities won't get into who is available but you know what I mean. I'm far from counting Mitchell for starters.
Agree with your points and its so early in the draft cycle and this usually happens every year that all of the draft profilers say the top 15 are going to be all midfielders and then it slowly filters out. Thats why i like Langford as well as it sounds he is playing some on ball minutes but is a 189cm high half forward with very strong marking capabilities. Honestly wouldn't mind if we went for 2 marking forwards that could also play on ball.

We can delist McAndrew and re-rookie him if needed. I think there is a fairly low risk of him being taken by anyone else if we go through that.

In saying that our rucks spots are Grundy, Green, Ladhams, Amartey and McLean in a pinch. I wouldn't be shocked if McAndrew is dropped all together. Ruck spots are getting even harder and Ladhams has been the emergency most rounds this season

Agree with your points and its so early in the draft cycle and this usually happens every year that all of the draft profilers say the top 15 are going to be all midfielders and then it slowly filters out. Thats why i like Langford as well as it sounds he is playing some on ball minutes but is a 189cm high half forward with very strong marking capabilities. Honestly wouldn't mind if we went for 2 marking forwards that could also play on ball.

There's always a couple of talls that jump out at the national champs, however if they do they aint lasting to pick 20 ish or whatever we have. I don't hate the idea of a couple of utilities that play anywhere, so whilst they aren't mids they can play there, and could plug a hole somewhere. Langford don't hate, just him disposal worries me, but I do like him as a prospect.

Don't forget we also have Joe Harrison as well, who they'll potentially bring into the mids group - ATM, he's in same range as Cochran, even a bit behind him (say mid 40's)

I'm also taking into consideration they brought Podmore Taylor back into the Coates League team as our main ruck as an over-ager...

Don't forget we also have Joe Harrison as well, who they'll potentially bring into the mids group - ATM, he's in same range as Cochran, even a bit behind him (say mid 40's)

I'm also taking into consideration they brought Podmore Taylor back into the Coates League team as our main ruck as an over-ager...
Definitely will be interesting to see where Harrison falls i think he slides to us in the rookies but i guess we will see. Still a while to go until draft time in what 6 months give or take. My hope atm tbh is to get a high half forward and Cochran and the rest we can do what we want whether that be trade out of the draft and then get a late pick to match Harrison or trade out of the draft all together to match on next years products as we don't have many needs

Swans VFL and Academy players who've nominated for MSD:

View attachment 1996022
I’m surprised a couple of those are allowed to. I was of the understanding that if you’d signed up to the U19 programme of an academy you weren’t eligible for the MSD. Both Hawkins and Podmore-T have turned out as overagers in academy games this year, which implies they’re in the U19 programme.

What's the go with our academy picks this year? Cochrane is it whose our highest touted? What's his position and playstyle etc.

What's the go with our academy picks this year? Cochrane is it whose our highest touted? What's his position and playstyle etc.
Cochran is a key defender i believe 195cm but could be slightly off. Seems like a more mobile key intercepting style of defender. Roughly slated to go in the 30-45 range atm.

Another guy is Joe Harrison. Admittedly don't know the greatest amount of info on him (trying to catch up on Harrison with the more games they play and so on) but he seems like a 182cm on baller who racks up the pill. I think the mock drafts have him a little too high atm just because he hasn't played many games but have seen him ranging around the same area as Cochran.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back