List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Proves how much affect genetics have and what a gift it is, of course hard work still has to be done to reach an elite level.
Having been fortunate enough to observe the 2 generations that preceded me and now the 2 post I've come to the conclusion that genetics is pretty much everything. In life.

Sure circumstance , training , good and bad things happening and lifestyle are influential but in the end it all gets back to genetics. Your disposition ,health and capacity to do any number of activities ,sporting and otherwise.

I did everything I could to make my kids not like me and replicate the many mistakes I made in my twenties and thirties and was immensely successful at that through school and their subsequent early careers etc . But now that they're all in their early thirties it turns out they're all like me. I wasted my time.

Are you Sydney based? Just a weird alignment knowing there was a big netball carnival on the weekend and then the Met East team is playing down in Albury today - my daughter's Aussie Rules team lost a player to the netball carnival and then another two (not the same ones) to the Albury comp that started today.
Nah Brisbane.

One bit of advice I got from someone wise was that before you decide to marry someone look at the mother.

Because that's what you're going to get.

I said that to my ex once. Did not go down well. Are you after my mother? Jeez, thought it was a compliment:oops:

One bit of advice I got from someone wise was that before you decide to marry someone look at the mother.

Because that's what you're going to get.
They may not be a clone but that will be the baseline they will be drawn to even when they might resist.

Of course they might be a clone of their crazy aunt Bertha or the spitting image of their great grandmother Eileen!

But if you couldn't handle being with the mother best to give it a pass...

(I am reminded of a joke near the beginning of Dirty Dancing...)

I think there was some research done at some stage that there is a multiplier effect that means genetic advantage at an early age tends to result in greater opportunity, access to better coaching and facilities sooner, more and earlier experience at higher levels of competition, more positive reinforcement etc.

All of which means the talent gap tends to grow over time and perpetuates to some degree that the idea that the person was much more naturally gifted. They certainly ended up appearing much more talented but the gap could have been closed substantially if others got similar opportunities as they developed.

And then of course there are the freaks who are just effortlessly good at new sports after minimal exposure.

Brisbane now staring down the barrel of having a top 10 pick.. if we end up with pick 8 let’s say, how can we maximise that knowing that as it stands it would just get chewed on a bid for Levi? Any possibility we can get up high enough to get in before him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance young Levi just says I don’t want to go father son given what this club is turning into and it’s clear lack of standards?

You only needed to listen to Fagan’s PC to know that we’re in all sorts of trouble.

Careful now. That's as close to a jinx as I've ever read.

Brisbane now staring down the barrel of having a top 10 pick.. if we end up with pick 8 let’s say, how can we maximise that knowing that as it stands it would just get chewed on a bid for Levi? Any possibility we can get up high enough to get in before him?

Can't see what we could offer that would get us up high enough. All reporting is that Hugh is going to re-sign, so no chance of a band 1 compo pick.

Best case scenario? Trade the pick to someone else for points, plus a future selection. Something like getting Richmond's additional picks and a future 2 maybe.

Note to draft nerds: I'm not taking into account bidding changes yet as we don't know what they are, and obviously there is a question about how many picks we'll have to match bids with depending on list spots (and if the AFL changes the rule that you can live trade for additional picks beyond your list spots on draft night).

For us to get a pick in before Levi, you would need a team at the very top of the draft to not rate the talent available and be happy with a move back.

Plus, we'd probably be trading out picks that we'd need to match Marshall and possibly Annable next year.

Any chance young Levi just says I don’t want to go father son given what this club is turning into and it’s clear lack of standards?

You only needed to listen to Fagan’s PC to know that we’re in all sorts of trouble.

What the **** are you on about. Genuinely.

What the **** are you on about. Genuinely.

Grand final loss finished the job that years of lead poisoning started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back