Fixture 2024 fixture - first game away to GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is an Age article written in 2009 that mentions the deal re Docklands ended in 2011?

Melbourne and Richmond chose to sell home games interstate. Yet somehow magically get their 11 mcg home games.

We still have a contract for our MCG tenancy. Re-signed again recently.

We still have a contract for our MCG tenancy. Re-signed again recently.

Yeah, the shifting of seats for Legends members for certain games was a good reminder that the tenancy was done again recently.

Anyway, so why would that not be for 11 home games? Surely we want that and the MCC want that. I don’t know of many Collingwood fans that would choose Docklands over the MCG.

We are too big for Docklands. More fans get to attend at the MCG and Everyone wins.

Our draw is the envy of most other clubs. A couple of games at Docklands doesn't change that.

Maybe not for you specifically but the crowds at our home games at Docklands would suggest many don’t like attending.

I would say clubs are envious of our crowds and atmosphere, not so much the actual fixture.

Maybe not for you specifically but the crowds at our home games at Docklands would suggest many don’t like attending.

I would say clubs are envious of our crowds and atmosphere, not so much the actual fixture.
It's the fixture too. Anzac Day, Queens Bday, lots of games at the G. Sure we play a home game against the Dogs at Marvel, but every year we also play away games against Marvel tenants, Essendon and Carlton, at the G.

Last edited:
It's the fixture too. Anzac Day, Queens Bday, lots of games at the G. Sure we play a home game against the Dogs at Marvel, but every year we also play away games against Marvel tenants, Essendon and Carlton, at the G.
We have seen with the RCH good Friday game that the teams make the blockbuster not necessarily the occasion.

Its up to others to create their own. People see through gimmicks.

The main benefit from the club and for fans is from home fixtures. We are already seen the erosion of rights for away games. So to me a home game at the mcg is not simply the equivalent of an away game at the mcg. Many of our fans only havr access to home games?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the shifting of seats for Legends members for certain games was a good reminder that the tenancy was done again recently.

Anyway, so why would that not be for 11 home games? Surely we want that and the MCC want that. I don’t know of many Collingwood fans that would choose Docklands over the MCG.

We are too big for Docklands. More fans get to attend at the MCG and Everyone wins.

We have the highest combined H&A crowd attendance average at Docklands, even higher than all the tenants. The AFL also needs Docklands to be financially viable.

We have seen with the RCH good Friday game that the teams make the blockbuster not necessarily the occasion.

Its up to others to create their own. People see through gimmicks.

The main benefit from the club and for fans is from home fixtures. We are already seen the erosion of rights for away games. So to me a home game at the mcg is not simply the equivalent of an away game at the mcg. Many of our fans only havr access to home games?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
What is lost through home games at Docklands is more than gained by away game fixtures at our rather than the opposition home ground. More Pies fans get to go to games because of those away fixtures than are lost by the Dockland home games. It's a net win in terms of both home ground advantage and attendance - very comfortably.

Last edited:
What is lost through home games at Docklands is more than gained by away game fixtures at our rather than the opposition home ground. More Pies fans get to go to games because of those away fixtures than are lost by the Dockland home games. It's a net win in terms of both home ground advantage and attendance - very comfortably.

It’s a good point but the difference remains that those sides request to play us at the G. From memory, we’ve never played either Essendon or Carlton at Docklands, either home or away, and it’s their home ground.

It’s a good point but the difference remains that those sides request to play us at the G. From memory, we’ve never played either Essendon or Carlton at Docklands, either home or away, and it’s their home ground.
Whether it's their request or not - it still works out well for us - plus the Cats request 11 home games every year, yet we haven't played them at Kardinia Park this century. The draw is very nice to us, with the added bonus of the GF at our home ground. The draw is not something that we should be quibbling with.

Whether it's their request or not - it still works out well for us - plus the Cats request 11 home games every year, yet we haven't played them at Kardinia Park this century. The draw is very nice to us, with the added bonus of the GF at our home ground. The draw is not something that we should be quibbling with.

Cats another team that requests to play their home games against us at the G. They don’t do it to do us any favors, they do it largely to bolster their coffers.

Whether those requests work for us or not isn’t really relevant to the reality that they’re request by other teams to play us there, and that is totally different to us being mandated to play 2 home games at Docklands and that the afl then see fit to schedule those games against Docklands tenants.

Cats another team that requests to play their home games against us at the G. They don’t do it to do us any favors, they do it largely to bolster their coffers.

Whether those requests work for us or not isn’t really relevant to the reality that they’re request by other teams to play us there, and that is totally different to us being mandated to play 2 home games at Docklands and that the afl then see fit to schedule those games against Docklands tenants.
They request all home games in Geelong every year - the AFL doesn't grant their request and schedules them to play big teams expected to be good at the MCG.

They request all home games in Geelong every year - the AFL doesn't grant their request and schedules them to play big teams expected to be good at the MCG.
Was interesting listening to Selwood on sen last week when asked about big games, and predominantly finals games being played at the G over their home ground now that it will have a 40k capacity when completed next year. He pretty much said all teams want to play at the G & the biggest crowd pulling games (including finals) should be played at the G.

Certainly not what their whiny supporters say every year, lol.

I agree with you that we get it good, however the deal should be that every club plays its home games at their home ground. The Big 4 can play each other at the G as the exception since they all want that and too many miss out if it’s held elsewhere. But Geelong, the Dogs, St Kilda and North should all be playing their home games against us at Kardinia and Docklands without exception and our home games against them should be at the G. It’s a simple problem with the integrity of the draw that is easy to fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mollythedolly

Good laugh, but...

Last edited:

LOL! Kardinia Park holds about 25-30k max prior to the current extensions when it will jump to 35-40k on completion. They had 86k+ at the G this year.

1 it offers them a significant boost to the coffers over and above the what they’d get from a home games at GMHBA, and 2 it provides them with the big game/crowd experience they crave and that money just can’t buy.

They play us at the G by request. That may change once the extensions are completed but I doubt it. I’m happy for you to believe otherwise but I’ve had as much confirmed by Cats employees and board members.

Last edited:
Mollythedolly

Good laugh, but...

Yeah, nice fluff pieces for the members, but not really the reality.

LOL! Kardinia Park holds about 25-30k max prior to the current extensions when it will jump to 35-40k on completion. They had 86k+ at the G this year.

1 it offers them a significant boost to the coffers over and above the what they’d get from a home games at GMHBA, and 2 it provides them with the big game/crowd experience they crave and that money just can’t buy.

They play us at the G by request. That may change once the extensions are completed but I doubt it. I’m happy for you to believe otherwise but I’ve had as much confirmed by Cats employees.
Read the links above.

Anyone else startled to learn that tickets for our opening round game against GWS actually went on sale earlier today?

Who else is going to be there with me to see us launch the premiership defence?

Anyone else startled to learn that tickets for our opening round game against GWS actually went on sale earlier today?

Who else is going to be there with me to see us launch the premiership defence?
I got an email during the week saying they go on sale tomorrow, Friday 8/12.

I got an email during the week saying they go on sale tomorrow, Friday 8/12.

Yes, but you can apparently just go in and buy them now for some reason. Just follow the link in the AFL post and it lets you buy them immediately.

Yes, but you can apparently just go in and buy them now for some reason. Just follow the link in the AFL post and it lets you buy them immediately.

Were you able to purchase any? Are you an interstate member?

Because the email also says this :

'Please note that the 'Member Onsale' referenced on the Ticketmaster webpage relates specifically to our eligible Interstate Members, who have been contacted separately.'

Could they be the members who can purchase today? And the rest tomorrow?

Last edited:
Were you able to purchase any? Are you an interstate member?

Because the email also says this :

Please note that the 'Member Onsale' referenced on the Ticketmaster webpage relates specifically to our eligible Interstate Members, who have been contacted separately.

It's allowing me to purchase with no barcode entry or anything. I'm an AFL Member so I don't think I have any entitlement but I'm holding off for the moment in case there's supposed to be a discount or anything. There's nothing to stop you buying tickets immediately, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back