Fixture 2024 fixture - first game away to GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

"I guess our players and fans are looking forward to giving him a warm welcome when he does get here, assuming he's in the side"

To quote Dave Matthews, that's D-grade comedy at best.
Dave Matthews is a D-grade human at best.

098B298F1B45665F25AD3927DA75F80E266EAB0A

Carlton receives more prime time games than us again,despite us being the reigning premiers.I saw a spokesman for the AFL saying that this was because of Carlton’s improved form in the second half of the season this year.But in reality this happens every year,no matter where they are on the ladder.Why doesn’t the AFL just admit that they love Carlton and be done with it?

Don’t think you are counting Anzac and KB. They need to be considered as “better than prime time”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok, if that's the case then it makes sense. Ed wouldn't have known in 1999 how poor our record at Etihad would be. At least he didn't do the deals Carlton Essendon and St Kilda did.
if i remember correctly, kevin rose was in charge of negotiations a few years before Ed got there. And I remember Ed being quite complimentary about the deal

Ok, if that's the case then it makes sense. Ed wouldn't have known in 1999 how poor our record at Etihad would be. At least he didn't do the deals Carlton Essendon and St Kilda did.
Collingwood actually was offered the Essendon deal first. They then used that as leverage to get the deal they wanted at the MCG.

I suppose I was thinking of the AFL's influence/preference, etc on scheduling games & at which venue .. ie Pies playing Dockers at the G this season & playing Lions at Marvel.

The AFL could have swapped those venues, but chose not to, for whatever reason(s). And It still would have satisfied the Pies contract agreement with Marvel.

Other than a request to play us at their home ground, I’d imagine each of the interstate teams would ask to play their away games against us at the G rather than Docklands and would ask the AFL for that in their scheduling requests if drawn to play us twice. It’s as much about them getting exposure for their players on the G, the home of the GF as anything else. Can’t accommodate all of them. Freo, Port, GWS, Swans, and Crows (5 of 8) all got their chance this year.

Other than a request to play us at their home ground, I’d imagine each of the interstate teams would ask to play their away games against us at the G rather than Docklands and would ask the AFL for that in their scheduling requests if drawn to play us twice. It’s as much about them getting exposure for their players on the G, the home of the GF as anything else. Can’t accommodate all of them. Freo, Port, GWS, Swans, and Crows (5 of 8) all got their chance this year.
Yep agree with all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do Melbourne end up with zero games at Docklands?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

St Kilda requested that fixture. I haven't read anything which suggests we've requested to play the Dogs at Marvel.

If we're required to play at Marvel, it should be reserved for interstate sides.
I’d rather play the interstate sides at the MCG and get a legitimate home ground advantage over them. Make the Marvel minnows get their MCG exposure some other way.

How do Melbourne end up with zero games at Docklands?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The G was always their home ground so why wouldn’t they play there? We on the other hand agreed to play 2 home games at Docklands as a condition of moving to the G from Vic park, when the AFL was angling for us to move to Docklands.

How is this quote from the CEO

“I guess our players and fans are looking forward to giving him a warm welcome when he does get here, assuming he’s in the side.”

Bitter much?

Looking forward to this one. A bit of spice!
Lmfao he literally got 3 votes for the 11 goal pumping we gave them early in there year too

The G was always their home ground so why wouldn’t they play there? We on the other hand agreed to play 2 home games at Docklands as a condition of moving to the G from Vic park, when the AFL was angling for us to move to Docklands.

So over 20 years later that is still the deal? Is this deal for the next 100 years? Seems a bit of a cop out. In 2016 the AFL took over the management rights of Docklands, yet in some warped world they see fit to play a team with more members than the ground holds at that stadium.

So over 20 years later that is still the deal? Is this deal for the next 100 years? Seems a bit of a cop out. In 2016 the AFL took over the management rights of Docklands, yet in some warped world they see fit to play a team with more members than the ground holds at that stadium.

We agreed to it. Why would the afl seek to change it, especially now they own Docklands?

There is an Age article written in 2009 that mentions the deal re Docklands ended in 2011?

Melbourne and Richmond chose to sell home games interstate. Yet somehow magically get their 11 mcg home games.

Our draw is the envy of most other clubs. A couple of games at Docklands doesn't change that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back