Fixture 2024 fixture - first game away to GWS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Bill's the man.
The big Chook, well if Mcstay is fit he could keep him accountable. Unbelievable what Sicily does at 6'2".

Also, we haven't had a good run with player since the big bull Levi Greenwood. Fly doesn't like using tags but it'd be nice to have someone who could do it if needed.

Agree… however

1. Whether in points or season ending percentage, the draw can be the difference between finishing 5th or getting a double chance.

2. I also remember 2018 when we played WC 3 times and lost three times… never kicking much more than 70points against them each time.

Losing twice to a team in the H&A can be a learning experience… but can also sap confidence and hamper on field flow

Until we have a 20 team comp with teams playing once… then the fixture will factor heavily in many team’s fortunes
Yup. Fixture makes a massive difference. Not doubting that.
Not just to finals....but everything else as well.

Didn't Curnow kick 20 goals against WCE this year? or something like that....

Ok, but how is that related?
Because maybe the AFL likes/asks the MCG tenants to sell 1-2 of their home games to play at another venue.

Craig Kelly mentioned during the year that we were considering selling one of our home games interstate.

If that were to happen, perhaps that would mean we would only be required to play 1 home game at Marvel...or maybe no home games at Marvel.

Because maybe the AFL likes/asks the MCG tenants to sell 1-2 of their home games to play at another venue.

Craig Kelly mentioned during the year that we were considering selling one of our home games interstate.

If that were to happen, perhaps that would mean we would only be required to play 1 home game at Marvel...or maybe no home games at Marvel.

Right, then in that case the AFL are just making it up as they go along.
There's no legal reason or otherwise why we shouldn't be scheduled 11 home MCG games and they can put our away games wherever they like.

I see it but I don't believe it.

Games against both Sydney and Brisbane in Melbourne for the second straight year.

May it long continue.

Nothing to do with the AFL, it’s a club decision generally based on revenue and/or brand development. AFL obviously supports it through scheduling as it takes AFL footy to locations it wouldn’t normally go.

There's no legal reason or otherwise why we shouldn't be scheduled 11 home MCG games and they can put our away games wherever they like.

We’re contractually bound to play games at Docklands afaik.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with the AFL, it’s a club decision generally based on revenue and/or brand development. AFL obviously supports it through scheduling as it takes AFL footy to locations it wouldn’t normally go.
I was just throwing up suggestions as I haven't seen the contracts 😉 I would have thought the AFL would have some input/influence/preference on where games are played.

No I didn't say that. I'm not speaking on behalf of the AFL. I have no clue as I haven't seen any of the contracts.

I was merely throwing up a thought as to why Dee's play one of their home games in Alice Springs instead of at Marvel.

But as someone else has pointed out, the contract we have with Marvel is we play 2 home games there. Melbourne seemingly don't have any contract agreement with Marvel.

Ok, if that's the case then it makes sense. Ed wouldn't have known in 1999 how poor our record at Etihad would be. At least he didn't do the deals Carlton Essendon and St Kilda did.

Our record at Docklands overall isn’t too bad. Our win % for away games there is 55-60% from memory. It’s our home game win % that’s ordinary. In another anomaly, there are Docklands tenants we’ve never played there. Both Carlton and Essendon from memory.

I was just throwing up suggestions as I haven't seen the contracts 😉 I would have thought the AFL would have some input/influence/preference on where games are played.

The only requirement’s from the AFL are around venue capacity and security, ground surface, player facilities, lighting (where required), and broadcast accessibility afaik.

They bite every time. Wish I had that strike rate on every cast 😂

How is this quote from the CEO

“I guess our players and fans are looking forward to giving him a warm welcome when he does get here, assuming he’s in the side.”

Bitter much?

Looking forward to this one. A bit of spice!

Our record at Docklands overall isn’t too bad. Our win % for away games there is 55-60% from memory. It’s our home game win % that’s ordinary. In another anomaly, there are Docklands tenants we’ve never played there. Both Carlton and Essendon from memory.

The fact I've been there 8 times and we've lost every time clearly influences my position on this.

The only requirement’s from the AFL are around venue capacity and security, ground surface, player facilities, lighting (where required), and broadcast accessibility afaik.
I suppose I was thinking of the AFL's influence/preference, etc on scheduling games & at which venue .. ie Pies playing Dockers at the G this season & playing Lions at Marvel.

The AFL could have swapped those venues, but chose not to, for whatever reason(s). And It still would have satisfied the Pies contract agreement with Marvel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back