Fixture 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Port away actually confirmed for Round 1?

We really should ask for a home game for Round 1.

Enough of playing Melbourne, getting beaten and realising the group is still Beveridged - we can wait until later in the season before realising this for once.

Like what I wonder? Wouldn’t we have to make it ‘marquee’ ourselves? Just saying it’s a marquee game doesn’t make it so.

Round 23, Mon, 26 Aug 2024 7.10PM. - National Dog Day. Everyone comes together to support Dogs at the MCG vs enemy Geelong Cats.

Don’t really care for a manufactured marquee game. It’s more important we get some Friday and Saturday night home games against big drawing teams and not interstate clubs.

Hun saying we’re negotiating with AFL for a marquee match to replace the Good Friday game.
Pretty sure it says we are asking for one, which is pretty different. Also don’t know what we’d get, considering the AFL just took the only possible public holiday slot remaining and gave it to Carlton and Essendon, inventing Kings Birthday Eve lmao.

Pretty sure it says we are asking for one, which is pretty different. Also don’t know what we’d get, considering the AFL just took the only possible public holiday slot remaining and gave it to Carlton and Essendon, inventing Kings Birthday Eve lmao.
Let's not kid ourselves that we'd get anything meaningful out of it. We'll only ever get the crumbs from the table. And be expected to show our gratitude by not rocking the boat.

As I've said before the top three priorities for the AFL are:
1. Maximising revenue
2. Maximising revenue
3. Running a good football competition

If they were genuine about equalisation and wanting to share around opportunities, a good system would be to have challenge rights to things like the ANZAC Day match. Last year's winner plays as the home team against last year's highest ranked Victorian team.

You'd always be guaranteed a high quality match.
The right to play in it would be earned, not an intergenerational inheritance that makes easy money for your club year after year.

Let's not kid ourselves that we'd get anything meaningful out of it. We'll only ever get the crumbs from the table. And be expected to show our gratitude by not rocking the boat.

As I've said before the top three priorities for the AFL are:
1. Maximising revenue
2. Maximising revenue
3. Running a good football competition

If they were genuine about equalisation and wanting to share around opportunities, a good system would be to have challenge rights to things like the ANZAC Day match. Last year's winner plays as the home team against last year's highest ranked Victorian team.

You'd always be guaranteed a high quality match.
The right to play in it would be earned, not an intergenerational inheritance that makes easy money for your club year after year.
Honestly what I’d like even more than that would just be a fair competition, don’t really care about marquees and Pies getting 100k worth of revenue on Anzac Day it’s much more of an advantage that they get to play all their games at the G and don’t travel to Geelong etc. there’s enough tv rights money to go around and we get our fair share of the distribution, not sure how relevant getting a few more ticket sales is these days.

But a fair comp & draft that gives us equal chance of winning the flag (and thus increasing our fan base) well that’s the dream

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw something on Reddit which I believe is an article from the Herald Sun that were potentially playing Melbourne at the MCG again in round 1 Saturday March 16.
Hope that is not the case. I mean yawn! Give us someone fresh to open the season against for once. Would make it three years in a row we will open the season vs them at the G.

It also means we that will likely only have one more G game for the last 22 weeks of the season. Prefer to have them at the back end of the season as finals approach.

Hope that is not the case. I mean yawn! Give us someone fresh to open the season against for once. Would make it three years in a row we will open the season vs them at the G.

It also means we that will likely only have one more G game for the last 22 weeks of the season. Prefer to have them at the back end of the season as finals approach.
Yeah I would like to have a fresh matchup for round 1 as you said we have already played them the last two years in our opening game. Would love a home game in round 1 as we haven’t had one since 2020 and not one with a crowd since 2019 but probably won’t happen because of the Pink concerts.

I’d take playing them in round 1 again as I’d find comfort that Pickett can’t try killing one of our blokes again, if only for 1 match
Just a gut feel. But I can't see the AFL have us play them once in round 1, and then not again all season for two years in a row. Gut feel is, that the odds are high of us doubling up against them.

Will be interesting to see how they handle the new season mentally with the drama around them in recent weeks. I reckon they will be the top four team most likely to drop off.

Just a gut feel. But I can't see the AFL have us play them once in round 1, and then not again all season for two years in a row. Gut feel is, that the odds are high of us doubling up against them.

Will be interesting to see how they handle the new season mentally with the drama around them in recent weeks. I reckon they will be the top four team most likely to drop off.

Well they were 1 of the 4 teams rumoured to be for the double header Sydney opener, unless that strange idea has been binned.

Don’t really care who we play or where, bring back the “anyone, anywhere” mentality

Don’t really care who we play or where, bring back the “anyone, anywhere” mentality
I don't care who we play either. The only preference for who we do and don't play is purely based on the "interest vs boredom" factor, just like seeing fresh double up teams, than playing in back to back years or heaps in a few year period. Or teams I think will be exciting to double up against, like Crows, Lions, Pies.

Personally I don't buy into the whole whinging of "getting effed over by the fixture", "not fair we have to play two hard teams twice, and someone else gets the bottom team twice" Always thought and still do, that AFL fans are the biggest sooks in the world when it comes to the fixture. Don't see NRL, or NFL fans complain their teams got the harder deal in the way AFL teams do.

Soccer fans get excited when they get the hard group in Europe. They want those big marque match ups. Yet AFL fans sook because they want their team to be gifted North and Eagles twice. I rather play top 6 teams twice than the bottom 6 teams twice. If you're good enough to make it, win them and earn them.

Last edited:
I don’t think we have played the Bombers or Crows twice in season for over 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back