Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Parker on a two year deal?

Depends what the strategy looks like after this season. If we are planning to get back to play finals he makes sense. If we are trying to stay down to build through youth it's probably the wrong option.

I love Parker but wish we'd had him at his peak. He's a heart and soul type.

Depends what the strategy looks like after this season. If we are planning to get back to play finals he makes sense. If we are trying to stay down to build through youth it's probably the wrong option.

I love Parker but wish we'd had him at his peak. He's a heart and soul type.
I'd like to think we stay down this season, pick up a gun mid in the draft and are looking next year to get back to playing finals. Parker for two years definitely helps us. A lot. Hopefully Simon is in his ear. Top five draft pick (gun mid), free agent (gun mid), Parker (gun mid). Possibly Parker could see us through till LDU without blowing early picks.

Luke Parker appealing his vfl suspension.

Mate you broke the blokes face by choosing to bump him, most people would say you got lucky with 6.

Hope they give him 8 for wasting everyone’s time.

Luke Parker appealing his vfl suspension.

Mate you broke the blokes face by choosing to bump him, most people would say you got lucky with 6.

Hope they give him 8 for wasting everyone’s time.

Imagine the guy he smashed. The bloke is getting a few hundred a week to play VFL and he's going to need time off work for surgeries, probably has to pay a fair amount of out of pocket cash not covered and probably has a fair amount of pain for the next few weeks. Also potentially ended his chances of getting picked up by an AFL club. The AFL set the agenda early and can't wheel back out of it now.

Imagine the guy he smashed. The bloke is getting a few hundred a week to play VFL and he's going to need time off work for surgeries, probably has to pay a fair amount of out of pocket cash not covered and probably has a fair amount of pain for the next few weeks. Also potentially ended his chances of getting picked up by an AFL club. The AFL set the agenda early and can't wheel back out of it now.
At frankston he’d be lucky to be getting a few hundred tbh.

I quite like Parker but the act was real dog stuff in a modern football setting, no one blocks like that anymore for exactly this reason

I quite like Parker but the act was real dog stuff in a modern football setting, no one blocks like that anymore for exactly this reason
It's not like he's been doing this his whole career - a bit of a one off muck up I would argue.

He didn't run at him - he stopped / blocked and the head clash was what caused the damage.

It's not like he's been doing this his whole career - a bit of a one off muck up I would argue.

He didn't run at him - he stopped / blocked and the head clash was what caused the damage.
Didn’t say he has ever done it in fact made a point I quite like him as a footballer but no. He didn’t just “stop” he stopped to line up a bloke barely chasing and braced to knock the shit out of him.

It’s not something the modern game allows nor accepts and with the injuries the other player sustained 6 weeks is about right (possibly a touch lenient).

I said the same for Jimmy fwiw just seems absurd to be challenging it to me.

Didn’t say he has ever done it in fact made a point I quite like him as a footballer but no. He didn’t just “stop” he stopped to line up a bloke barely chasing and braced to knock the s**t out of him.

It’s not something the modern game allows nor accepts and with the injuries the other player sustained 6 weeks is about right (possibly a touch lenient).

Totally agree he shouldn't challenge - but it doesn't put me off him as a potential recruit if it's the
right deal for the club. That's what I meant to say.

6 weeks for bumping a guy off the ball and causing multiple facial fractures

And Webster gets 7 for bumping a guy with the ball and who was up and about talking with crowd 10 mins later with no facial fractures

MRO does it again
There is a difference between VFL and AFL tribunal and MRO

Didn’t say he has ever done it in fact made a point I quite like him as a footballer but no. He didn’t just “stop” he stopped to line up a bloke barely chasing and braced to knock the s**t out of him.

Sounds like exactly the maneuver Steven Baker did, when he copped his big one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree he shouldn't challenge - but it doesn't put me off him as a potential recruit if it's the
right deal for the club. That's what I meant to say.
I also didn’t say anything about us recruiting him but fair enough.

I said that knowing that it was too much but people don't believe me when I say how little they get paid. A mate's nephew played for North's VFL side and quit because he decided that he'd rather go up for game day to the bush and get paid decent money while he studies. He says the only reason anyone would play VFL is to try to keep the draft dream alive.

He played for Port in the SANFL and they got him work, helped get a place to stay, paid a decent amount and treated them well. Couldn't believe how crap the VFL system is for non aligned players. He reckons he was out of pocket on a lot of the medical and travel etc and the training and game day travel takes up a large part of your week.

One of my mates employed a guy who plays at Frankston. He has to have heaps of time off work to travel interstate and train so gets about a 2/3 work load and paid accordingly. It's not a very attractive proposition unless you are a high profile player who get a bit more than the rest.

I said that knowing that it was too much but people don't believe me when I say how little they get paid. A mate's nephew played for North's VFL side and quit because he decided that he'd rather go up for game day to the bush and get paid decent money while he studies. He says the only reason anyone would play VFL is to try to keep the draft dream alive.

He played for Port in the SANFL and they got him work, helped get a place to stay, paid a decent amount and treated them well. Couldn't believe how crap the VFL system is for non aligned players. He reckons he was out of pocket on a lot of the medical and travel etc and the training and game day travel takes up a large part of your week.

One of my mates employed a guy who plays at Frankston. He has to have heaps of time off work to travel interstate and train so gets about a 2/3 work load and paid accordingly. It's not a very attractive proposition unless you are a high profile player who get a bit more than the rest.

I had a cousin that played for Port Melbourne, and I of course was an admin for when we trialled against an EDFL team.

Suffice to say, one player, just one, in that EDFL team almost got paid what our entire list did, the "gap" between rural and the step up was that large money wise.

So, if you are in demand and if a club has needs, you can and will be bought.

I had a cousin that played for Port Melbourne, and I of course was an admin for when we trialled against an EDFL team.

Suffice to say, one player, just one, in that EDFL team almost got paid what our entire list did, the "gap" between rural and the step up was that large money wise.

So, if you are in demand and if a club has needs, you can and will be bought.
I played a good standard of footy and had been in the pathways stuff. I went bush for my cousins 18th and ended up filling in for a pre season game for a side my uncle was coaching. I did okay, certainly didn’t set the world on fire, the money he offered later that day was absolutely insane. I played metro Melb footy on okay money for a while but Ammos old boys clubs get your cushy well paying jobs, local big leagues (EFL, EDFL, SFL, WRFL) will pay well, country is proper mercenary money

New the family of a guy who was a pretty good ruck at VFL level, who'd been trying like mad to get into AFL, but was ( like a lot of big rucks ) a bit too lumbering for the modern game.

Quit VFL for a suburban team, because they arranged to get him an apprenticeship.

I played a good standard of footy and had been in the pathways stuff. I went bush for my cousins 18th and ended up filling in for a pre season game for a side my uncle was coaching. I did okay, certainly didn’t set the world on fire, the money he offered later that day was absolutely insane. I played metro Melb footy on okay money for a while but Ammos old boys clubs get your cushy well paying jobs, local big leagues (EFL, EDFL, SFL, WRFL) will pay well, country is proper mercenary money
Are you available for the mid season draft?

100% they make a lot more playing local footy. Up the country work if required will also be part of the deal. The only reason guys play as top ups is to challenge themselves or to keep the dream alive that someone will notice them, it sure as hell isn’t for the money.

Parker picked him off and should be happy it was only 6 weeks imo. In typical fashion the swans have challenged hoping the afl will put a finger on the scale for them once again.

It's not that our players are bad or anything, but when you watch guys like Reid, Warner, Gulden, etc you wonder how much better we could be if we had someone that good in the middle. Calm precice, daring and powerful
Reid, Warner, gulden, daicos, Walsh, rozee, green, serong, Anderson, rowell

The best players on their team already. Similar age to king, Clark, Dow, windy, Owens, pou, Byrnes. We need our young core to step it up and become match winners. No excuses plenty of examples

Reid, Warner, gulden, daicos, Walsh, rozee, green, serong, Anderson, rowell

The best players on their team already. Similar age to king, Clark, Dow, windy, Owens, pou, Byrnes. We need our young core to step it up and become match winners. No excuses plenty of examples
3 pick ones, 5 top 5 picks, 2 NGAs and a sydney special.

when was the last time saints got a pick 5 or better to get one of these players?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back