Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You're probably right, but using last year as an example we could have purchased a pick or two in the middle of the first round and used them to trade up for pick 1
Can you elaborate on this?

How does pick purchasing work?

Say if Lions are under salary pressure, do they sell us pick 8?, so they can retain McCluggage? Is that an example?
Or would we just be better off offering a bucket load of cash for McCluggage in the first place? Or could we up his contract price forcing Lions to sell their pick? Interesting...

Pick purchasing has likely come two years too late for us.

Everyone has their cap in order now.

Just talking to a mate about pick purchasing. I think this will suit the top teams unless there is a rule along the lines of that the cap space cleared from the sale of a draft pick CANNOT be used on free agents, the cleared space needs to be spent on your current listed players and free agents acquired from somewhere else. If not I can see teams like Geelong never leaving the top 8 ever again.

Just talking to a mate about pick purchasing. I think this will suit the top teams unless there is a rule along the lines of that the cap space cleared from the sale of a draft pick CANNOT be used on free agents, the cleared space needs to be spent on your current listed players and free agents acquired from somewhere else. If not I can see teams like Geelong never leaving the top 8 ever again.
Most changes the AFL have made that have been framed as helping lower ranked clubs improve faster have had the complete opposite effect once implemented.

Can you elaborate on this?

How does pick purchasing work?

Say if Lions are under salary pressure, do they sell us pick 8?, so they can retain McCluggage? Is that an example?
Or would we just be better off offering a bucket load of cash for McCluggage in the first place? Or could we up his contract price forcing Lions to sell their pick? Interesting...
Yep,

I hadn't thought of the Lions this year with Berry and McCluggage, good point

Pick purchasing has likely come two years too late for us.

Everyone has their cap in order now.
Never too late, will also be a contending team that will happily throw away a late first round to fit in an extra player for their premiership tilt.

That's just fear, people said that about Hawthorn when free agency came in. You wont gain significant cap space by just giving up a late first round, it will be more about cap space restructuring than buying players. Even if you traded for 1 million in cap space relief, a quality FA is 5+ million over 5 years, you just can't keep trading for that extra space.

That's just fear, people said that about Hawthorn when free agency came in. You wont gain significant cap space by just giving up a late first round, it will be more about cap space restructuring than buying players. Even if you traded for 1 million in cap space relief, a quality FA is 5+ million over 5 years, you just can't keep trading for that extra space.
Geelong and Melbourne held picks 7 or so not so long ago, imagine if they cleared space and brought in top free agents with it? The difference between free agency and the pick purchasing is that the top teams generally don’t have the space for the big free agents, if they can sell off draft picks for space that might change.

Young guns or in their prime is probably a better way of saying it considering Malceski was neither. Ellis though, I wouldn't call a gun.
They’d both won flags. Ellis had won 2. Weitering has not, but could well do so at the Blues in the near future.

That’s why he stays

Geelong and Melbourne held picks 7 or so not so long ago, imagine if they cleared space and brought in top free agents with it? The difference between free agency and the pick purchasing is that the top teams generally don’t have the space for the big free agents, if they can sell off draft picks for space that might change.
They actually do , but that's because the lower teams simple cannot offer enough difference for it to be attractive to get the big FA
The minimum salary cap spend kills that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little while back it seemed accepted that if Bailey Smith chooses us we would trade our f1 but that’s likely too high now or at least we can make that argument. If we were prepared to lose it anyway and given this is an even top 20 by all reports, do we keep our r1 rather than splitting and trade our f1 to the suns for their r1 and dogs r1? Take an elite mid plus a KP player like Harry OFarrell and use the other pick for Smith?

A little while back it seemed accepted that if Bailey Smith chooses us we would trade our f1 but that’s likely too high now or at least we can make that argument. If we were prepared to lose it anyway and given this is an even top 20 by all reports, do we keep our r1 rather than splitting and trade our f1 to the suns for their r1 and dogs r1? Take an elite mid plus a KP player like Harry OFarrell and use the other pick for Smith?
I can see us splitting the pick, using one on Baz and keeping one.
What ever we do will feel too much at the time if we are parting with a top three pick, however I think it’s time to be bold. We can’t just expect to turn things around with a top 5 pick every year until Tassie come in.
It’s going to be tough either path we take.

I can see us splitting the pick, using one on Baz and keeping one.
What ever we do will feel too much at the time if we are parting with a top three pick, however I think it’s time to be bold. We can’t just expect to turn things around with a top 5 pick every year until Tassie come in.
It’s going to be tough either path we take.

We need more truly elite talent not less, this will (very likely) be our first top 3 pick in this rebuild. Unless a team offers something stupid for it we should not even consider trading back.

Smith needs to be in addition to another elite prospect, not instead of.

We need more truly elite talent not less, this will (very likely) be our first top 3 pick in this rebuild. Unless a team offers something stupid for it we should not even consider trading back.

Agree. If we get a top 3 pick, there is absolutely no way we should ever trade it for anything. Maybe, except for Jamara.

To be clear I said trade f1 2025 for 2 r1 picks this year so in addition to our r1 2024 in case that was unclear.

We should ask for a priority pick for this year, like everyone else does.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. If we get one then we are laughing.

I don't agree that it would taint anything, we can't be too proud to ask for some help as wr have legitimately been the second worst team in the league over the last 5 years. And I ask anyone that does think this - were you thinking about the priority pick when we beat Geelong in '08? Or when we 3peated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back