Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can manage to bring in Battle, Perryman and Smith as well as still picking up a top 10 draftee that would be an epic off season that will set us up for a while.

Would it be worth chatting to Luke Parker? I get he is old, but would bring great leadership and its still a great player. Type of player that wld be great to have on field in those close games like vs Port.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Building a strong team. Makes it possible to lure a superstar or a star. It’s always about the team never about the individual. Hawthorn and i have always believed that
Remember Sam saying last year that we had the nucleus of a team for our next premiership…… and that was before bringing in Dear, Wiz, Ginnivan, Massimo, McCabe. We will be a destination club once again soon Sam and the club building a very happy strong team at Hawthorn we just have to be patient 👍

Remember Sam saying last year that we had the nucleus of a team for our next premiership…… and that was before bringing in Dear, Wiz, Ginnivan, Massimo, McCabe. We will be a destination club once again soon Sam and the club building a very happy strong team at Hawthorn we just have to be patient 👍

Also things are done over multiple off seasons. From now would be a multi year plan to start utilising trade and free agency more and more. The huge advantage of UFA is not having to dip into the future drafts, so we still have assets to go again. If we could get Battle FA and Smith, even paying our first pick this year, that is 2 best 22 players making us much stronger, plus some later in picks in the draft, and still having full future assets to go hard again and again. It's a pretty powerful position we are in.

Day isn't OOC

You have minimal leverage when a player is OOC
Pretty simple

Smith also coming off an ACL

People bitched about the Brockman deal,
You argue
You Settle for what's offered
Once he nominates, hard to go anywhere else
Awesome we can just give them Collingwoods 2nd rounder this year and they have to take it cause Smith is out of contract.

Why did we give up so much for Jaeger? The Suns refused our future first.

We have a stack of young players that are going to need pay rises soon. If we pay a couple of players $3.5 mill over 5 years or $4.2 mill over 6 years to get them to join us our “war chest” will quickly disappear.
Conveniently forgets adjustment to player costs over the next three years that the entire List Management industry has factored in.

Conveniently forgets adjustment to player costs over the next three years that the entire List Management industry has factored in.
Conveniently forgets that our current contracted players have contracts that when the cap increases, their current contract increases by that percentage

Awesome we can just give them Collingwoods 2nd rounder this year and they have to take it cause Smith is out of contract.

We gave up a lot for Jaeger because Cockbrain tried to pretend he knew something about football. Ironically, despite all his posturing, GC ended up with a worse deal than what was initially offered (with St Kilda being the main beneficiaries).

You are also being quite facetious, obviously Pies' 2nd won't work, but that doesn't mean it has to be our current first. It'll be somewhere in the middle.

We have also deliberately created this space now to SPEND and USE IT not to just sit there. We will heavily front end any contracts if we are lucky enough to land some targets, and use this space as a tool to attract and acquire players. It's very easy to sit there and demand the players and types we want, what is much harder is practically making it happen. One competitive advantage we have is huge cap space, which started the moment we moved on both Mitchell and O'Meara rather than have them play out at Hawthorn, plus many other senior players. We are more than in a a good position to get a few good senior players. If we do land some it will mean that some get pushed down the pecking order, but that is smart list management.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my view unless you are going to lose a FA and compensation is getting diluted you try to get EVERY single free agent that would be best 22, and some that aren't. Now obviously you manage your cap but building a list is all about having the talent on the list. And if you are trading a pick for a player or using a pick to draft a player, or trading a player for a pick or another player you are more likely going to end up in the same spot unless you absolutely nail the transaction.

Trading 14 for Tom Mitchell, absolutely worked great. Using pick 6 on DGB not so good. Pick 18 on Weddle fantastic. Pick 56 of Sicily amazing.

Giving up absolutely nothing for Amon that is how you progress. You cannot win a premiership without it.

Now I would much rather bring in best 22 players AND draftees than give up top draft picks for best 22 players.

In my view unless you are going to lose a FA and compensation is getting diluted you try to get EVERY single free agent that would be best 22, and some that aren't. Now obviously you manage your cap but building a list is all about having the talent on the list. And if you are trading a pick for a player or using a pick to draft a player, or trading a player for a pick or another player you are more likely going to end up in the same spot unless you absolutely nail the transaction.

Trading 14 for Tom Mitchell, absolutely worked great. Using pick 6 on DGB not so good. Pick 18 on Weddle fantastic. Pick 56 of Sicily amazing.

Giving up absolutely nothing for Amon that is how you progress. You cannot win a premiership without it.

Now I would much rather bring in best 22 players AND draftees than give up top draft picks for best 22 players.
100%
Especially when you have the cap space we have.
Then once performance improves, other players target your club to join.
It's a proven method.

There is a difference between offering a fair deal and doing that.

The Jaeger situation was different because they had a psycho running the show willing to screw themselves over to make a point.

We gave up a lot for Jaeger because Cockbrain tried to pretend he knew something about football. Ironically, despite all his posturing, GC ended up with a worse deal than what was initially offered (with St Kilda being the main beneficiaries).

You are also being quite facetious, obviously Pies' 2nd won't work, but that doesn't mean it has to be our current first. It'll be somewhere in the middle.
And then GC wasted our first rounder on matching an academy bid.

That player? Jack Bowes!

Good point.

Not only would signing them not force other players out due to cap issues (as we have enough money), they won't cost any draft capital AND they also won't be diluting any potential FA compensation for us as we are not losing any players via FA (provided Hardwick signs on).

Would it be worth chatting to Luke Parker? I get he is old, but would bring great leadership and its still a great player. Type of player that wld be great to have on field in those close games like vs Port.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
I think it would be only if we have an epic offseason and land multiple other higher priority targets. At that point just go all in on making finals and he would add finals experience and as you said good for tight games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back