Player Watch 2024 Father-Son player watch - Ky Burgoyne and Ned Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Academies need to be AFL academies rather than club academies.
AFL funded & eligible to any club

If the AFL were serious about their academy theory then that would be the only logical way of running that program

You do realise that the Qld/NSW club academies were established to grow the game and compete with rugby x 2 don’t you?

You do realise that the Qld/NSW club academies were established to grow the game and compete with rugby x 2 don’t you?
This is not a counter argument to having the academies AFL funded and players from the academies available to all teams.
By the way these academies are most likely already subsidised by the AFL in an underhanded way

Academies need to be AFL academies rather than club academies.
AFL funded & eligible to any club

If the AFL were serious about their academy theory then that would be the only logical way of running that program
I agree but nothing is going to change until the northern clubs are “successful”

This is not a counter argument to having the academies AFL funded and players from the academies available to all teams.
By the way these academies are most likely already subsidised by the AFL in an underhanded way
The “academy theory” argument is not in line with the AFL’s stated purpose.

The OP wants them to be something they were never intended to be.

That’s not “logical”.

The “academy theory” argument is not in line with the AFL’s stated purpose.

The OP wants them to be something they were never intended to be.

That’s not “logical”.

Do you think the AFL intended for them to give GCS 6 untouchable players in 2 years who could then dominate the game for years to come?

Or were they intended to give northern clubs maybe 1 player a year to help them slowly build a stable list?

Do you think the AFL intended for them to give GCS 6 untouchable players in 2 years who could then dominate the game for years to come?

Or were they intended to give northern clubs maybe 1 player a year to help them slowly build a stable list?
Yep - the first

The AFL intended to make GCS and GWS as successful and attractive as possible to the locals so it would grow the game nationally.

Last edited:
I like the sound of;
Excellent defensive pressure
Elite running power
Delivery by foot was a feature

Good for a defender could he be the tall defender we are after a bit like Jonathan Hay was running out of the back line he started on a wing need him to go to 197 what is he at the moment 194.

Last edited:
Good for a defender could he be the tall defender we are after a bit like Jonathan Hay was running out of the back line he started on a wing.
I haven’t seen Ned play so hard for me to say, but my impression is that he is not the same caliber of athlete that Hay and Croad were. Maybe more likely to develop into someone like Scrim?

Was 188cm last year as per RookieMe, so he has grown 6cms...

See same stat here

is the above match report from this game against Vic Metro?

Seems like Young Guns have another game this weekend against VC.

Ned's latest pic

1714187812646.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good for a defender could he be the tall defender we are after a bit like Jonathan Hay was running out of the back line he started on a wing.
Punctuation is your ally, mate...

I don’t understand why you insist on posting as if no person except you, actually knows anything.

I know the purpose of the academies, as I’m sure most on here do.

The discussion, had you have read it, was about making the academies fairer for all clubs

Last edited:
I don’t understand why you insist on posting as if no person except you, actually knows anything.

I know the purpose of the academies, as I’m sure most on here do.

The discussion, had you have read it, was about making the academies fairer for all clubs
You said the AFL should make it fairer. I said that’s not what they set it up for.

It’s like you saying the TAB should refund every second losing bet you put on, so you feel better and it looks fairer.

It’s never going to happen.

Given you know what the academies were created to achieve, it’s odd you’re suggesting the AFL would / could change that.

Especially when the “cut through” of the competition in QLD / NSW is still far short of where the AFL says it wants it to be.

Maybe it will change, probably in 20-30 years’ time after multiple GC and GWS flags and when they have sell out games and membership numbers of 100k+

In Victoria, where we all know 50% of AFL players come from, the Coates League is the elite pathway which is overseen and funded by the AFL already. All clubs are able to pick kids from here via the draft.

What more do you want? How would change to the academy system make things fairer than clubs drafting kids from state elite programs?

Anyhow - good hit out from Ned and he’s clearly getting taller and bigger.

Might be a rookie “smoky” for us 2025

Last edited:
You said the AFL should make it fairer. I said that’s not what they set it up for.

It’s like you saying the TAB should refund every second losing bet you put on, so you feel better and it looks fairer.

It’s never going to happen.

Given you know what the academies were created to achieve, it’s odd you’re suggesting the AFL would / could change that.

Especially when the “cut through” of the competition in QLD / NSW is still far short of where the AFL says it wants it to be.

Maybe it will change, probably in 20-30 years’ time after multiple GC and GWS flags and when they have sell out games and membership numbers of 100k+

In Victoria, where we all know 50% of AFL players come from, the Coates League is the elite pathway which is overseen and funded by the AFL already. All clubs are able to pick kids from here via the draft.

What more do you want? How would change to the academy system make things fairer than clubs drafting kids from state elite programs?

Anyhow - good hit out from Ned and he’s clearly getting taller and bigger.

Might be a rookie “smoky” for us 2025
It’s too hard to have a discussion with someone who doesn’t read what the (that particular) discussion is

AGAIN
I know the purpose of the academies.

THAT IS NOT WHAT THAT DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT

1: Father/sons cannot be in another clubs academy

2: The same rules apply for all 18 teams when it comes to drafting kids from academy’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back