Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

If we end up with Pick 3 or beyond then I wouldn't mind splitting it personally.

O'Sullivan and Smille are the two current standouts for good reason. The pool after that (Smith, Draper, Moraes, Hotton and a few talls) are fairly even. Lombard, Ashcroft fit in here too though are unavailable.

While this draft doesn't have a standout player I view the depth of the first round favourably to previous years.

i think the top 3 will be Finn O'Sullivan, Levi Ashcroft and a smokey like Jobe Shanahan as a 194cm KPF, he looks like a fantastic KPF and his height updated from 192cm to 194cm and that gives him the height to be a legitimate KPF which was holding me back a little, but i think he has a lot of potential with his contested marking and general quality play as a KPF, but the champs will determine that, i think after that 3 theres Josh Smillie a large mid/3rd tall defender hbf, but theres plenty of football to be played before its set in stone, but its what im thinking at the moment, its hard to compare to other years, but they are all very strong performers with good traits.

Do you rate the Whitlock Brothers Davo?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you rate the Whitlock Brothers Davo?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jack seems a lot better than Matt, but they are both likely drafted, Jack is a more mobile tall forward and has better marking ability, Matt is more a defender who can intercept, they are similar to the McKay brothers, Jack is 200cm better forward like Harry McKay and Matt Whitlock is 197cm and is the average KPD like Ben McKay, Jack will go 1st round somewhere, Matt will go late first or second round i think?...

Updated top 50 - May (Early)

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh (VC) - 182cm
2. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham (Bris FS) - 179cm
3. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo (NSW) - 194cm
4. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
5. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm
6. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
7. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
8. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
9. Jonty Faull - GWV - 195cm
10. Josh Murphy - Murray - 190cm
11. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
12. Tyler Welsh - WWT (Adel FS)- 191cm
13. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm
14. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 183cm
15. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 200cm
16. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
17. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 181cm
18. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 183cm
19. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 194cm
20. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 186cm
21. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg (Carl FS) - 185cm
22. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
23. Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm
24. Isaac Kako - Calder (Ess NGA) - 175cm
25. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
26. Noah Mraz - Dandenong - 198cm
27. Jesse Dattoli - Northern - 179cm
28. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 180cm
29. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel (Port NGA) - 174cm
30. Sam Marshall - Sandringham (Bris A) - 185cm
31. Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo - 198cm
32. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth - 199cm
33. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - 190cm
34. Joe Berry - Murray - 180cm
35. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm
36. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh - 186cm
37. Joe Harrison - Syd A - 179cm
38. Otis Harvey - Swan Dist - 182cm
39. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 197cm
40. Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo - 186cm
41. Louis Montgomery - Nth Adel (Port FS) - 184cm
42. Malakai Champion - Subiaco - 172cm
43. Austin Van Der Struyf - Claremont - 178cm
44. Damon Hollow - Calder - 180cm
45. Nathaniel Sulzberger - Sandringham/Tas - 184cm
46. Kade Herbert - WWT - 184cm
47. Lucca Grego - Western - 184cm
48. Doug Kerr - Oakleigh - 192cm
49. Bo Allan - Peel - 191cm
50. Nash King - Calder - 181cm

more to keep an eye on...

Jak Ryan - Eastern - 176
Adrian Cole - Sandringham - 195
Lachie Jaques - Geelong - 184
Max Stobie - Gippsland - 180
River Stevens - Geelong - 176
Cohen Paul - Murray - 193
James Barratt - Bendigo - 193
Flynn Penry - GWV 201cm
Ned Atkinson - Sturt 181cm
Jacob Newton - Norwood 176cm
Chayse Martinson - Swan Dist - 180cm
Hugh Boxshall - Clare - 187cm

Just an update on my top 50 if anyone is curious.

Thanks as always Davo… can you give us a player comparison for Shanahan and O’Farrell?? Who do you like for Hawks pick assuming it’s in the top 5..

Shanahan is a mobile tall forward with really good hands in the contest, he has been a very good prospect for Bendigo and will play for the Allies at the Champs, i cant really say on type of player from the AFL, he has great hands though and has been very impressive last year and this year, im very big on his potential

O'Farrell is a good spoiler and mark in the backline, decent speed, he was big in the u17s future game at the GF last year and has looked good so far this year, because he is a KPD he gets less fanfare, he was big in the St Kevins APS game as well, just a wonderful tall def prospect imo

im going early, but i think they will perform at the champs this year, things can change and they might not step up in which case i will have to change my rankings, its just a guide at this stage until the champs are done, because thats when the cream rises to the top.

Looks like a pretty strong and fairly even top 20 would you split a 3-5 pick if offered say suns r1 and dogs r1 currently picks 8 and 11? If so who would you take?

i mean it is a what if, but i would split it if Jack Whitlock and Luke Trainor were available... i think this year some very good KPPs who develop late might be available later than normal... kindve like a JVR at 19 in 2021 (although i thought JVR was good for the hawks in 2020, but others in the draft watcher community had him going later and so pick 7 for him seemed too high a pick, but in retrospect i shouldve stayed with my thinking, i even made a post after the 2020 draft that he should be our target lol)

Now the attention turns to the other end of the ground. A key forward in the 2021 draft would really bring it all together in my opinion. Someone who can play alongside Lewis and complement the new small/medium forwards. :think:
come on down Jacob Van Rooyen from Claremont...he is the target

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol i wish i had stuck with that.....

Last edited:
So when do the AFL find a loophole to add Jobe Shanahan to the Sydney Academy?

Looking more and more likely we’ll end up with one of FOS, Shanahan, Smillie, O’Farrell, Smith, Draper, Faull. Stoked.

They’ll be the ones to follow this year

Cody Anderson not in there??
Cody Anderson is a strong tough mid, but he seems more physically developed than his peers, lacks in the skill department and there's less room for development or improvement, also I'm unsure on his endurance or speed and he doesn't have the impact on games as others do outside of winning centre clearance and dump kicks, seems more like a state league player type atm from my pov.

Cody Anderson is a strong tough mid, but he seems more physically developed than his peers, lacks in the skill department and there's less room for development or improvement, also I'm unsure on his endurance or speed and he doesn't have the impact on games as others do outside of winning centre clearance and dump kicks, seems more like a state league player type atm from my pov.
I'm always weary of these more developed players in under 18.

Like Harley is big and strong, but you can still tell he is a kid.

Some of these boys look mid 20s with receding hairlines and 5 o'clock shadow. No wonder they dominate under 18s

Some of these boys look mid 20s with receding hairlines and 5 o'clock shadow. No wonder they dominate under 18s

Like worpel? I think clubs also have the tendency to overlook players like that completely even if they have the runs on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It didn't stop Hurn.

I would have asked for his birth certificate. Looked like he had already done fifteen years on the job site.

Cody Anderson not in there??

Came across scouting notes for Cody from Vic Metro game vs Young Guns when i was searching for Ned Maginess's performance.

Surprised he is not on Davo's radar, saw him in one of pics at Hawks training.
#9 Cody Anderson (Eastern Ranges)
Midfielder | 180cm | 30/01/2006

Was arguably Vic Metro’s most influential player all day. A contested bull, Anderson tackled strongly but his kicking and decision making still requires improvement. His capability to intercept was good and his set shot kicking on angles is still another area of his game that requires work. He showed excellent athleticism again with his leap and went forward late in the game to snare a goal. He read hitouts well and displayed his clean hands all day.

Another strong performance from Josh Smillie for the AFL Academy. He played the majority of the game forward or back showing his versatility as a prospect and he was one of few Academy players able to match Footscray for physicality. The only thing to criticize would be his occasional kicking struggles, though his disposal was fine for the most part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back