Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Rehab from ACL reconstruction usually allows straight line running after 12 weeks.

Change of direction is another matter.
The injury update listed him at 7 weeks post surgery on the 23rd of January, so he's about 11 weeks post surgery now, but he's been running laps for at least a week or so and is now progressing to some stuff beyond that.

Is 12 weeks for mere mortals without a team of professionals managing their rehab, or is McStay's slight improvement on that number within the normal range for people regardless?

What are the doctors and physios looking for to decide that he's ready to progress in his next stage of rehab?

Just looked up Will Ashcroft's ACL timeline..he did his ACL at the end of July & went for his first run in the middle of November.

Dan seems to be quite a bit ahead of this timeline.
I’d imagine Brisbane would be far more conservative with a midfielder who’s got the potential to be one of the best in the league for the next decade than we would be with a mid tier key forward whom we really need back asap.

I’d imagine Brisbane would be far more conservative with a midfielder who’s got the potential to be one of the best in the league for the next decade than we would be with a mid tier key forward whom we really need back asap.
Possibly, who knows. I was just curious about the timeline. And Dan is tracking nicely.

Last edited:
Interesting cricket interview on SEN right now . Will pukovski apparently hasn’t suffered from nearly as many or as serious concussions as people are lead to believe. And that includes will himself. It’s taken a long time to get to this conclusion but will has changed his approach to mental health which has given him the confidence to return to top form.

Similar parallels can be drawn with Murphy at present. Perhaps just not confident enough yet. Just needs time and space to get in the right “ head space”. Suggest he also doesn’t read bigfooty!

The injury update listed him at 7 weeks post surgery on the 23rd of January, so he's about 11 weeks post surgery now, but he's been running laps for at least a week or so and is now progressing to some stuff beyond that.

Is 12 weeks for mere mortals without a team of professionals managing their rehab, or is McStay's slight improvement on that number within the normal range for people regardless?

What are the doctors and physios looking for to decide that he's ready to progress in his next stage of rehab?

He is probably a little ahead of schedule, which is great, and the decision to let him straight line run earlier would likely be based upon degree of swelling, range of movement, pain (if any), and strength differential compared with the good knee for quads and hamstrings, step ups, along with some basic tests of balance and proprioception.

The next stage would be changing direction and low level agility drills, and the yard sticks they would look at would be some more challenging static balance exercises, balance when hopping, and improving strength once again. He may also start jumping off one leg for marks (undefended), or kicking with his good leg on the run to get back to some more sport-specific work.

I haven’t been to training so I am not privy to what he’s already doing, but this is the progression in broad strokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looked up Will Ashcroft's ACL timeline..he did his ACL at the end of July & went for his first run in the middle of November.

That sounds bad but it could be a matter of 15-16 weeks instead of 12. If he had problems with swelling (post-injury) and surgery was delayed, this would be routine practice. It’s also possible there was further ligament damage; if the MCL is badly sprained they will often surgically repair that first, and then come back to repair the ACL once the repaired MCL is likely to be able to provide some stability.

Maynard and Checkers wont play tomorrow but will get some minutes next week.
Josh is available to play.

Harry will start running in the next 10 days.
Eyre is off the crutches and is walking pain free. But they are taking it slow and steady.

Vice-Captain Brayden Maynard has recovered from shoulder surgery which he underwent during the off-season and has returned to full training. The 27-year-old has been involved in the majority of drills since January, and all full-contact drills across the last two weeks.

Maynard won’t play in tomorrow’s first Practice Match against North Melbourne but will play some minutes in next week’s AAMI Community Series clash against Richmond and will be available for Opening Round.

2033 leading Goal-kicker Brody Mihocek also underwent surgery during the off-season on a calf injury sustained before the Christmas break that sidelined him for six weeks. He has also returned to full training and won’t play in tomorrow’s clash, with an eye to playing some minutes against Richmond before taking the field in Opening Round.

Returning to the field in tomorrow’s Practice Match will be 2023 Copeland Trophy Winner Josh Daicos, who experienced discomfort whilst running during the Christmas break. After training on a modified program to relieve neural pain experienced in his back, calf and Achilles, the 25-year-old has increased his training load and returned to full training.

2023 draftee Harry DeMattia will be sidelined until at least Round Eight after sustaining a finger tendon injury at training last week. After undergoing successful surgery, the 18-year-old will be able to complete a solid running block before gradually returning to full scale training drills.

Newly signed Magpie Josh Eyre is walking pain free after undergoing surgery on the hamstring he injured prior to the conclusion of the Supplementary Selection Period. The 21-year-old will continue his recovery, with a standard guideline for an injury of his nature anywhere between 10 and 14 weeks.

As announced last week, Nathan Murphy is still working through his return to Football after sustaining a concussion during last year’s Grand Final. The Premiership defender is completing all non-contact football drills and is keeping his running loads high, while being supported as he works on his confidence to engage in contact training. Further updates will be provided in due course.

Daniel McStay met another exciting milestone this week, after returning to running at training as his recovery from his ACL surgery hits the 11-week mark. The key forward will now move onto a program that sees him complete two running sessions a week, complemented by gym and bike sessions. The 28-year-old year old is a in a positive state of mind and will continue to increase his training load as time goes on.

Interesting cricket interview on SEN right now . Will pukovski apparently hasn’t suffered from nearly as many or as serious concussions as people are lead to believe. And that includes will himself. It’s taken a long time to get to this conclusion but will has changed his approach to mental health which has given him the confidence to return to top form.

Similar parallels can be drawn with Murphy at present. Perhaps just not confident enough yet. Just needs time and space to get in the right “ head space”. Suggest he also doesn’t read bigfooty!
If I recall correctly Puc and Murph played cricket at Brighton Grammar together

He is probably a little ahead of schedule, which is great, and the decision to let him straight line run earlier would likely be based upon degree of swelling, range of movement, pain (if any), and strength differential compared with the good knee for quads and hamstrings, step ups, along with some basic tests of balance and proprioception.

The next stage would be changing direction and low level agility drills, and the yard sticks they would look at would be some more challenging static balance exercises, balance when hopping, and improving strength once again. He may also start jumping off one leg for marks (undefended), or kicking with his good leg on the run to get back to some more sport-specific work.

I haven’t been to training so I am not privy to what he’s already doing, but this is the progression in broad strokes.

Looking forward to some red line analysis as he progresses!

Looking forward to some red line analysis as he progresses!

Haha I only pull that one out for special occasions… or arguments about Tekken Force mode!

Sorry to intrude, was just checking to see how McStay was going as I still have a soft spot for him. Ashcroft has his first run last week of October (around the 31st) which was around 13-14 weeks post ACL, as is apparently on track to be back around bye this year.

The general trend at the Lions has seen players been back around that 10-11 month mark, including Hipwood who also tore his MCL.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude, was just checking to see how McStay was going as I still have a soft spot for him. Ashcroft has his first run last week of October (around the 31st) which was around 13-14 weeks post ACL, as is apparently on track to be back around bye this year.

The general trend at the Lions has seen players been back around that 10-11 month mark, including Hipwood who also tore his MCL.
Thanks for that. I think we're all trying to manifest Dan to be so far ahead of schedule so he can play sometime this year...but it looks like he's tracking as per the standard acl rehab timeline which would mean he most likely won't play this year 😭

As expected, poor guy. At least its not a tendon

I was all for playing him in last year's GF, but after this early injury, I am never again going out on a limb for him, as his plethora of injuries and issues just make anyone who backs his inclusion in the team look a bit naïve. When he is not in rehab, I see him playing lots of VFL games again.

Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back