Injury 2024 Injury Report/Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a lot of hope for Freddy but my hope is coming to an end unfortunately

Yeah I feel for him. Seems like another Rusling situation except without the glimpses of greatness we saw with Sean

It's a shame too because he's young and seems to have all the physical attributes to be a really great utility.

With Howe's cork reportedly a touch worse than initially thought, does this open the door for Dean or would Billy get first dibs?

We still dont know if he's even AFL quality. He has a lot of gaps in his game

I think he’s got a well rounded game. Good mark, good kick, great pace, aggressive, agile, good below his knees. The only thing that’s lacking is consistency in availability which has restricted his senior opportunity.

So our current injury list for Rd 1 is just all key position players - McStay, Murphy, Kreuger and Eyre (and possibly Howe as a 3rd tall)

Gees it would be nice for the big guys on the list to be healthy for a change.

De Mattia is the one "small"

Luckily we have Dean and Frampton but I still feel like not adding Sofronidis to the list was the wrong call in the end. Would have been handy backup right now.

I will say though, if Murphy decides to retire (which I still suspect he will), can we add Sof or is it too late? Or do we have to take him at the MSD?

De Mattia is the one "small"

Luckily we have Dean and Frampton but I still feel like not adding Sofronidis to the list was the wrong call in the end. Would have been handy backup right now.

I will say though, if Murphy decides to retire (which I still suspect he will), can we add Sof or is it too late? Or do we have to take him at the MSD?
Any recruitments (unless its a Cat B which can be listed year round) now, have to wait til MSD.. given the SSP period ended on Feb 19th.

I think he’s got a well rounded game. Good mark, good kick, great pace, aggressive, agile, good below his knees. The only thing that’s lacking is consistency in availability which has restricted his senior opportunity.

He's not a good mark. How many contested marks or strong overhead marks have you seen him take?

I was all for playing him in last year's GF, but after this early injury, I am never again going out on a limb for him, as his plethora of injuries and issues just make anyone who backs his inclusion in the team look a bit naïve. When he is not in rehab, I see him playing lots of VFL games again.

Well for God's sake never go out on one of Freddy's limbs for him, because you know what will happen.

I was all for playing him in last year's GF, but after this early injury, I am never again going out on a limb for him, as his plethora of injuries and issues just make anyone who backs his inclusion in the team look a bit naïve. When he is not in rehab, I see him playing lots of VFL games again.
I'm a Freddy fan. Huge bloke who moves magnificently and attacks contests like a lunatic. A bit like the yanks dying on Vietnamese jungle hills that the VC had lured them to before simply moving to the next hill with equally s**t visibility due to the jungle. I'm going to fight on this hill until the death until Freddy is declared best 22 - or gets signed by Glenelg.

I'm a Freddy fan. Huge bloke who moves magnificently and attacks contests like a lunatic. A bit like the yanks dying on Vietnamese jungle hills that the VC had lured them to before simply moving to the next hill with equally s**t visibility due to the jungle. I'm going to fight on this hill until the death until Freddy is declared best 22 - or gets signed by Glenelg.
It's pretty obvious the selectors don't share your faith in him as he doesn't ever get considered for a senior role when our tall man stocks are low. You can fight the good fight for him all you like, as indeed have I, but he doesn't seem to have any selector support. Then when it seems his stocks couldn't fall any lower, he shoots himself in the foot, or shoulder or hamstring, revealing room to plummet further actually does exist.

He's the only person I can think of that would get less injuries if he were a crash test dummy

It's pretty obvious the selectors don't share your faith in him as he doesn't ever get considered for a senior role when our tall man stocks are low. You can fight the good fight for him all you like, as indeed have I, but he doesn't seem to have any selector support. Then when it seems his stocks couldn't fall any lower, he shoots himself in the foot, or shoulder or hamstring, revealing room to plummet further actually does exist.
It's a shitty broken hill and I've got no idea if it has any value at all - even if we repair the mortar damage, but I like that hill and want it to succeed. Freddy is just a good concept - even if he's no chance.

They were with us year 1. They loved him. They brought a two gamer who didn't do much in those 2 games back straight in the team for finals after missing 15 weeks or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were with us year 1. They loved him. They brought a two gamer who didn't do much in those 2 games back straight in the team for finals after missing 15 weeks or so.
That's very true, but despite playing 12 VFL games at the end of last season, he seemingly was barely even considered for a spot, with a human blanket being preferred for the GF. Surprisingly he remained on the list.

It's a shitty broken hill and I've got no idea if it has any value at all - even if we repair the mortar damage, but I like that hill and want it to succeed. Freddy is just a good concept - even if he's no chance.

I’ve emotionally withdrawn from Freddy. I can’t take it anymore. Poor bloke - his body doesn’t seem up to the rigours of AFL footy.

That's very true, but despite playing 12 VFL games at the end of last season, he seemingly was barely even considered for a spot, with a human blanket being preferred for the GF. Surprisingly he remained on the list.

They picked him a couple of times last year. He was ******* awful against Essendon. It wasn't his fault though - oval balls are stupid. They supposedly picked him against Adelaide too. I didn't see him though - I think he decapitated himself running through the banner. Bloody cheersquad - if Freddy is playing, you've got to perforate the tissue paper. But he'll overcome the barriers gotten thrown in his direction.

I have for a long time, but I will continue to defend Freddy. It’d be great to watch him succeed in the black and white.

I would like to see a redemption plot arc from him, much like Murph in 2022. It’s in the spirit of the club.

So our current injury list for Rd 1 is just all key position players - McStay, Murphy, Kreuger and Eyre (and possibly Howe as a 3rd tall)

Gees it would be nice for the big guys on the list to be healthy for a change.
To be fair we knew about Eyre before we added him to the list. Kreuger is the only injury since then and he was no chance to play round 0 given he wasn’t selected in the last practice game whilst AJ and McInnes were. Howe obviously had a minor setback but even if that’s worse than feared, the return of Dean balances the injury ledger somewhat.

And as far as we know Murphy is not injured or suffering concussion… just confidence which can be managed carefully and respectfully with time and patience.

As for Kreuger… at least it’s not a shoulder again but regardless it’s a bad setback. Clock is ticking for him unfortunately. One more injury and he’s probably toast….no more injuries and he still might be toast.

Like when I was a young teenager, a man with a van, a uniform and a noose came for my black Labrador. Supposedly, she had acted aggressively with a woman in the street with a pram. She was going to a nice farm in the country too!

Parents tell the most implausible stories at times. Sometimes you just will yourself to accept them because the alternative is too harsh. Otherwise you just know it's bullshit.

An aggressive Labrador? And a female one too? Has there ever been such a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

An aggressive Labrador? And a female one too? Has there ever been such a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Black lab, back in the days when dogs spent a lot of time out on the roads, chasing riders and playing their role in the street cricket matches. It's possible Cindi got to hang out front a bit too much when I was at school. Only the curved white picket gate stood between her and freedom. With the likes of me responsible for ensuring it was closed, I can imagine it was open more often than it should have been.

I did a Saturday morning postie round a few years later, and had my regular canine postie haters, including one that after numerous attempts, bit me, a nasty bite that I reported. A smattering of minor aggressive encounters with dogs over time was overlooked, coming with the territory, so to speak. I am fairly sure the council dogs were gassed in the 60s, a rather nasty way to die.

We had that typical boy/dog relationship at the time. A lot of rough and tumble and a mascot for our bike trips around the area. She would be sitting patiently on the corner each day, wagging her tail as I crossed the main road. The manner of her removal by the officer and my attempts to prevent her going are etched in memory. The one's to whom you're close who leave you early are the saddest ones to lose - people and dogs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back