Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question - is anyone concerned that LJ has now had 3 concussions within the last 12 months? I don't know if he had any at Melbourne earlier in his career? For me it's a concern as 2 of them have been "delayed". I seriously hope this isn't going to become an issue for him as his career progresses.

Just a question - is anyone concerned that LJ has now had 3 concussions within the last 12 months? I don't know if he had any at Melbourne earlier in his career? For me it's a concern as 2 of them have been "delayed". I seriously hope this isn't going to become an issue for him as his career progresses.

Yes concerned. Cannot afford to lose him, he's basically an emerging quarterback

Conrad Williams played well on the wing for Peel yesterday. He could be a developing option.
Realistically he will need to debut this year if he wants to stay on the list right? From what I can see he does have the talent. He just needs to put on more weight and get hands on the ball.

Realistically he will need to debut this year if he wants to stay on the list right? From what I can see he does have the talent. He just needs to put on more weight and get hands on the ball.
I really doubt he will be playing AFL this year. Way too light. Played mostly reserves in 2023. The natural progression for him is to play regular senior WAFL and continue to put on some size.

Last edited:

Not even close imo. He’s a Category B rookie which means it’ll be pretty hard to find someone who’s immediately better than him next season.

He’d be replaced by one of an 18 year NGA kid who was overlooked in the draft, an Irishman who could probably count using his hands how many times he’s kicked an AFL ball or someone who hasn’t played Aussie Rules footy at any level for over three years.

Those are basically the three options to replace him on the Category B rookie list. They’d be worth a shot if the spot is available but if Williams shows decent development this year I’m tipping we give him some more time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even close imo. He’s a Category B rookie which means it’ll be pretty hard to find someone who’s immediately better than him next season.

He’d be replaced by one of an 18 year NGA kid who was overlooked in the draft, an Irishman who could probably count using his hands how many times he’s kicked an AFL ball or someone who hasn’t played Aussie Rules footy at any level for over three years.

Those are basically the three options to replace him on the Category B rookie list. They’d be worth a shot if the spot is available but if Williams shows decent development this year I’m tipping we give him some more time.
I know it's the wrong thread but it can be difficult with Cat Bs because they realistically need 3+ years to develop but clubs can't afford to be so patient sometimes. Surely we can pull off some 'creative' accounting and instead of drafting raw 18 yr old Cat Bs, we pay them to play at Peel instead and develop them through there while 'sponsoring' their education.

I know it's the wrong thread but it can be difficult with Cat Bs because they realistically need 3+ years to develop but clubs can't afford to be so patient sometimes. Surely we can pull off some 'creative' accounting and instead of drafting raw 18 yr old Cat Bs, we pay them to play at Peel instead and develop them through there while 'sponsoring' their education.

Yea but they can be drafted by someone else if they’re good. For Category B rookies they’re just there occupying a spot on the list that only exists for players that meet quite significant criteria.

It’ll be down to the club’s assessment whether there’s enough chance of him making it. Not sure anything else will come into it tbh.

Yea but they can be drafted by someone else if they’re good. For Category B rookies they’re just there occupying a spot on the list that only exists for players that meet quite significant criteria.

It’ll be down to the club’s assessment whether there’s enough chance of him making it. Not sure anything else will come into it tbh.
I guess my point is that if you are of the belief you need 3 years to determine if a Cat B player will make it or not, it might be worth playing them at Peel off the books. If you can make that determination in 2 years than it's not worth it.

Hayden young said Darcy is better than expected. May only miss 2 or 3 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back