List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

No, Keays mainly played as a forward last year & got 2x number of possessions & matched Hayward in goals & assists.

Keays is a better player as he works much harder to find space & enables him to get more of the ball.

The stats clearly show your assumption based on gut feel is clearly incorrect.
One had over 160 CBAs, the other 0.

Can you guess which is which?

One had over 160 CBAs, the other 0.

Can you guess which is which?
Doubt Keays averaged 8 CBA's per game last year.

Any way, I would take the player with 2x possessions & same number of goals... you know the one you reckon is clearly worse.

Last year's averages, playing similar roles... yeah, 1 appears significantly better player than the other ;)

Disposals 19 v 11.7
Contested 7.8 v 3.6
Clearances 2.6 v 0.2
Clangers 2.8 v 1.9
Marks 3.1 v 4.3
Tackles 3.8 v 2.9
1.1 % 1 v 1.2
Goals 1.0 v 1.1
Goal Assists 0.7 v 0.6
Keays’ numbers there are obviously skewed by midfield minutes, of which he should no longer be getting any, so you can bump his disposal/clearance average down an amount

Both are good quality forwards, though, and I think both can fit in the same forward line

Keays’ numbers there are obviously skewed by midfield minutes, of which he should no longer be getting any, so you can bump his disposal/clearance average down an amount

Both are good quality forwards, though, and I think both can fit in the same forward line
Indeed, which is why I said Hayward would be an upgrade on Murphy but not Keays.

Hilarious.

You’ve just spent the last 3 or 4 posts explaining Keays stats aren’t inflated by midfield minute and they basically play the same role.
You claimed Hayward was the better player when he clearly isn't.

Keays scores as many goals playing less minutes as a forward, whilst getting 2x number of possessions.

There are too many on this board who get stuck into Keays at the 1st opportunity because they are biased.

He was our only decent forward in the 1st half last week.

You claimed Hayward was the better player when he clearly isn't.

Keays scores as many goals playing less minutes as a forward, whilst getting 2x number of possessions.

There are too many on this board who get stuck into Keays at the 1st opportunity because they are biased.

He was our only decent forward in the 1st half last week.
Since when is saying one player is better than another getting stuck in?

Big article in the HSUN today bout Will Phillips at Norf (Pick 3 behind Thilthorpe) being a bit on the outer and well behind in the Norf Midfield pecking order.

Haven't really seen enough of him but if came at a reasonable price could be worth a look.
Yes saw that - see below. Seems like a pretty underwhelming pick 3 in a KPP draft. What were the Kangas thinking? Not sure he adds much from what I have seen. T Thomas on the other hand purely on footy ability would be an absolute gun and we did bid on him before picking Jones in 2018.

ROOS’ NO.3 PICK STUCK ON THE OUTER

Fringe North Melbourne onballer Will Phillips could be on the hunt for a new home at season’s end as he fights to win a spot in the Roos’ burgeoning midfield.

The man taken with pick three in the 2020 national draft was overlooked for selection in the first-round loss to GWS Giants as part of the Kangas’ midfield logjam.

He is out of contract at season’s end and is expected to attract interest from clubs on the hunt for a midfielder in a similar manner to way the St Kilda nabbed ex-Carlton onballer Paddy Dow last year.

Dow was traded as part of a four-club deal with Carlton, St Kilda, Essendon and Western Bulldogs and Phillips is also set to weigh up his options this year for more opportunity.

North Melbourne drafted Phillips as part of coach David Noble’s plans to build the Roos’ side from the midfield-out in 2020, but other midfield guns have since shot past him.

And the draft call allowed Sydney Swans to nab gun key forward Logan McDonald with the next selection.

West Australian McDonald booted four goals in the win over Collingwood in round 1 and is being sought by Fremantle to help bolster its forward setup for next year.

VFL CLUBS WEIGH UP THOMAS RISK

VFL clubs will assess the progress of banned AFL star Tarryn Thomas before considering whether to throw the Kangaroos midfielder a lifeline in the last few games of the season.

Thomas has been banned from football until June 24 and will have to satisfy the league that he has satisfactorily completed education programs before being reinstated.

But he could play the final two months of the VFL season, with their wildcard round only starting on August 24-25. It would put him in the shop window of AFL clubs, even though the league is yet to rule on his official status as a delisted free agent or player who would need to go into one of the drafts.

AFL clubs are already monitoring his status, with Collingwood champion Nathan Buckley recently making an impassioned plea for him to return to the game at some stage in the future.

Tarryn Thomas playing in the VFL for North Melbourne. Picture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images

Tarryn Thomas playing in the VFL for North Melbourne. Picture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images
Port Melbourne handed Harley Bennell a football lifeline last year, but it ended badly — with Bennell involved in legal trouble and then moving on from the club.

Port Melbourne and Williamstown, not affiliated with AFL clubs, are possible landing spots for Thomas, but the Borough would want much more information about his progress before considering the move.

Last month, when Thomas was sacked for inappropriate conduct towards women, Kangaroos list boss Todd Viney said he was hopeful the former top-10 pick could rehabilitate his reputation. “Every AFL club will make their own call,” Viney said. “We tried our best and couldn’t get it done, so we’ll leave it up to each club to make their own decision. It’d be a shame if he didn’t play football again.”

I reckon no chance he's worth 2 firsts.
1st and a second maybe.
I reckon no chance he's worth 2 firsts.
1st and a second maybe.
Perhaps you are right. Saints would be mighty pi$$ed to lose him and will argue that a likely monster contract (5/6 years @ 800k+) is us valuing his future value very highly and they want to be compensated for that. Also our firsts are hopefully mid first round this year (say 10-12) and likely even worse next year, getting a second rounder back in 2024 would be handy for Welsh also.

You would think if we had the ability to offer Petty the deal we were, then we'd have to be talking a Million a year now for Poo if we want to shake him free
Quite possibly but does seem like a big number. Not sure Petty is really a huge need now - certainly compared to a tall elite mid - with Curtin drafted and I would only look at as a FA as not that good a player (at this stage) to give up a first rounder this year when he likely comes free next year.

Either way, I can’t see how we don’t have a massive war chest here - say 2-2.5m if not more, probably been paying at 95% of cap, prepaying large amounts of longer term contracts (Rankine, Dawson, Rachele etc) and still with so many youngsters we should have one of the best salary cap situations in the league. Jenny may be able to attest to this but I believe Silvers actually made this point at his presentation before the Lions game last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Keays mainly played as a forward last year & got 2x number of possessions & matched Hayward in goals & assists.

Keays is a better player as he works much harder to find space & enables him to get more of the ball.

The stats clearly show your assumption based on gut feel is clearly incorrect.
Yeah not sure anyone can show Keays played meaningful midfield time last year

Yeah not sure anyone can show Keays played meaningful midfield time last year
He did in a few games, attended over 40% of CBAs in seven matches, which certainly inflated his disposal average

I expect him to not get any midfield time this year, so the disposal averages will drop, but that doesn’t make him not a useful forward

South Australian midfielder Jack Graham is also a free agent this year and could attract interest from Adelaide. Graham toured Port Adelaide two years ago, before recommitting to the Tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back