Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Info here ^
thanks as ever for the post GR, but please spare us another over ager beating up on juniors.

And despite what Edmund says, Todd Viney is going to look pretty silly having mentioned in public four different list needs, and none of them are rebounding defenders or mid forwards. If Payne is still there at our second, then maybe, but the first has surely got to fill a need

If there was no MSD, where do you think Jasper Scaife would be picked in the 2024 National Draft?
Mature age talls very rarely get taken in the top 30 picks, I'd be pretty confident he'd get drafted if he gets back to kicking goals, but it all likelihood it would be a late pick or a rookie pick. Noah Howes has a bit more upside and could be taken earlier.

5 possessions and no marks on the weekend in a team that won by almost 100 points doesn’t fill me with a great deal of confidence.

I could be wrong but I believe he only played a quarter and a half due to a niggle.

Here is a twist:

Sam Edmund just said he believes North's No.1 pick is Geordie Payne
Don't think I'd be real enthusiastic about that pick. Payne's decision making and kicking isn't up to AFL standard imo. Love his intensity and he has a bit of speed, but there is a bit of Kayne Turner about him.

I'd much rather Oskar Smarrt if we are going for a "small forward".

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05...ing-as-the-no-1-pick-in-the-mid-season-draft/

SEN’s Sam Edmund is reporting that the 18-year-old could find himself at North Melbourne via next Wednesday’s mid-season draft.

While there are former AFL players such as Trent Bianco, Matt Ling, Brynn Teakle and Flynn Perez in the mix, it could be Payne who is selected first.

The North Launceston product has been starring for the Tasmanian Devils in the Coates Talent League in 2024 and his versatility as a defender who can play midfield and forward could be attractive for the Kangaroos.

“I don’t often play in this space but I’m hearing a kid from Tasmania is firming as the number one pick,” Edmund said on SEN Breakfast.

“North Melbourne have it and it could be Geordie Payne from the Tassie Devils.

“He’s a 184cm defender who is said to rate very highly in the competitive stakes. A gusty interceptor, aggressive with the ball coming back the other way and he’s got some real speed as well.

Edmund really showing his knowledge here...Payne hasn't even been playing as a defender this year. Been playing as both a midfielder and a small forward.

thanks as ever for the post GR, but please spare us another over ager beating up on juniors.

And despite what Edmund says, Todd Viney is going to look pretty silly having mentioned in public four different list needs, and none of them are rebounding defenders or mid forwards. If Payne is still there at our second, then maybe, but the first has surely got to fill a need
I doubt he will be. Multiple clubs have put his name down for a medical. His tackle numbers alone would put him in our best forward half pressure players and he hasn't even stepped foot into the club.

Not sure Todd has to answer to the general public for that statement though Merlot. He can mention some list needs and still draft best available without any issue.

Not necessarily. If we don't feel that any of the player's available who fill a list need are up to AFL standard, then why pick them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to jump at shadows because Sam Edmunds probably doesn't know s**t, but 184 18 yo would be ... questionable.
Can just see Bradys face now..
Troll Dancing GIF

Mature age talls very rarely get taken in the top 30 picks, I'd be pretty confident he'd get drafted if he gets back to kicking goals, but it all likelihood it would be a late pick or a rookie pick. Noah Howes has a bit more upside and could be taken earlier.
Cheers.

I'd prefer to wait and see more goals instead of selecting Scaife now, tbh.

Cheers.

I'd prefer to wait and see more goals instead of selecting Scaife now, tbh.
Who do we take then?

With any of the younger KP's like Howes or Scaife, you'd be getting them through the door early in order to give them access to AFL level coaching and development. Neither of them will be short term solutions to our issues.

I like Noah Howes the best, from his highlights for a young KPF playing senior footy I thought he showed the most, if he can have a day out for SA U18’s before the draft against the Allies, I hope our recruitment team takes note.

Howes is a weird one, seems like he was all the rage two weeks ago for a day or so and now he doesn't get a mention. Like Mutaz el Nour a few years ago, I wonder if he even gets drafted.

Howes is a weird one, seems like he was all the rage two weeks ago for a day or so and now he doesn't get a mention. Like Mutaz el Nour a few years ago, I wonder if he even gets drafted.
It's kind of the opposite, Scaife has really fallen off in the last few weeks while Howes is still going well. The only reason he's come back into conversation is because the Herald Sun reported we would take him number 1. That's my worry about Scaife, didn't kick a goal in a 100 point win, he also only had 5 touches. Howes is averaging the same amount of goals in a winless side, he has also been more consistent

That kind of talk about forgotten prospects always reminds me of the online game Hattrick.

You'd find some record for a player long since delisted e.g. Max Warren and get generic text like "Player [47568] was last seen at the local mall with his family. His playing days are clearly behind him".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back