Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
I reckon they’ve been told privately that there will be no more picks coming so there’s no point looking silly in the media about it.

I was interested in his choice to talk up the assistance we were given last year - “five first round picks” plus Fisher and Stephens - rather than minimise it as we generally do (basically a few early second round picks, makes little difference). I assume it’s a strategic decision, based on building up morale among the players we picked and probably also sucking up to the AFL.

Todd, don’t you know if you never ask, the answer is no - We may as well ask 0-23 is going to be bloody hard to say no too.

The other possibility is when the 2024 PP's were given as part of the package they were pretty specifically told don't come knocking next year.

A couple options for the MSD - from 5min mark

interesting chat.....Smillie you'd think is a certainty for us in the ND....does sound like leaning toward tall fwd in the MSD, Howes perhaps, but also seems very confident Maley comes in and clunks some marks, kind of intersting he made the Jeremy Howe comparison, who started forward and shifted back. Then there's the need for some mature bodies to help.... and being realistic about being able to lure mature players across where we stand.....Shiels serviceable but clearly past it...hodge obvivously did a good job at the Lions, and to an extent Jordan Lewis at Melbourne.....and the media have mentioned we should be trying to get Pendlebury to come across......just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would. Jack Viney has won a flag and shows great leadership but doubt he'd come across even if his old man asked nicely.......So.....left field, but would it be out of the question to sit down with Joel Selwood and see if he'd be open to pulling the boots on again?

interesting chat.....Smillie you'd think is a certainty for us in the ND....does sound like leaning toward tall fwd in the MSD, Howes perhaps, but also seems very confident Maley comes in and clunks some marks, kind of intersting he made the Jeremy Howe comparison, who started forward and shifted back. Then there's the need for some mature bodies to help.... and being realistic about being able to lure mature players across where we stand.....Shiels serviceable but clearly past it...hodge obvivously did a good job at the Lions, and to an extent Jordan Lewis at Melbourne.....and the media have mentioned we should be trying to get Pendlebury to come across......just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would. Jack Viney has won a flag and shows great leadership but doubt he'd come across even if his old man asked nicely.......So.....left field, but would it be out of the question to sit down with Joel Selwood and see if he'd be open to pulling the boots on again?

Can't see Selwood doing that myself. He bleeds blue and white stripes, but not of our variety.

Elliott Yeo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any good small forwards that we could take mid season?
I'm talking your ready to go tyson stengle types.

Any good small forwards that we could take mid season?
I'm talking your ready to go tyson stengle types.
Yes, in my opinion Frank Szecely {177cm dangerous, fast and knows how to kick a goal} small forward.
To say it would be c o o l to pick him up would be the understatement of the year! But like lots of posters we've all got someone different but gee, he is just the man for the job. :cool:

ZH has us down for 3 spots

Screenshot_20240515_073924_Facebook.jpg

ZH has us down for 3 spots

View attachment 1989324

Good or bad G.R. ? Will we use them all ?

Good or bad G.R. ? Will we use them all ?
Nothing wrong with bringing in more talent to see if they can change things for us. But I'd say the max would be two. You'd have to cut a few to make space for them. We're already running with the two extra list spots.

Viney confirmed the club has managed to shape a hitlist for the Mid-Season Draft, with the next two weeks before the intake set to aid their recruitment planning.

"We've got a few players our recruiting team have identified that we think can come in and hopefully add to our list," Viney added.

"Our list is not a finished product by any means. We don't sit where we're at knowing we've got a complete list. We've got some holes in our tall forward category, we'd like to look at tall defenders. Big-bodied midfielders... We've got some depth in the midfield but probably not those really big guys. There are some crumbing forwards that we might also be looking at.

"We'll see what's available. Guys have got a couple more weeks before that draft to do their homework."

Nothing wrong with bringing in more talent to see if they can change things for us. But I'd say the max would be two. You'd have to cut a few to make space for them. We're already running with the two extra list spots.

Viney confirmed the club has managed to shape a hitlist for the Mid-Season Draft, with the next two weeks before the intake set to aid their recruitment planning.

"We've got a few players our recruiting team have identified that we think can come in and hopefully add to our list," Viney added.

"Our list is not a finished product by any means. We don't sit where we're at knowing we've got a complete list. We've got some holes in our tall forward category, we'd like to look at tall defenders. Big-bodied midfielders... We've got some depth in the midfield but probably not those really big guys. There are some crumbing forwards that we might also be looking at.

"We'll see what's available. Guys have got a couple more weeks before that draft to do their homework."
Well at the very least, this seams like one of the first times the club is communicating that they know of our list weaknesses (KPF, KPB, Crumber, big mid) are aiming to address it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back