Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Szekely has pretty good highlights.
Yeah they look incredible. From the footage he brings everything we are missing in the front half:

Fearless running forward
Big take take down tackles
Crumbing goals

The way he moves and kicks the ball made me think a little bit of how Winnie would glide across the ground.

It seems he would have immediate impact. From those who have actually seen him play, is that the case?

Jacob blight is ready to play now that’s the reason for picking him to shore up the defence

Has shown he can lock down big kpf and intercept mark

Not some young 18 year old

Lol at old mate better loosen up pretending like he’s even seen him play and confusing him with an 18 year old and then still piping up

Last edited:
The way I look at it.
We will address the big bodied mid thing with smilley.
We have a developing kpd in Will Dawson
Biggie and pink are busts.
Comben and Logue are locks
Kallan Dawson somewhere in between.
We have zero small forwards I can see ending up locks.
Larkey our only lock kpf.
Maley and sellers developing.
I think we take howes myself with pick 1 msd as the national draft options don't seem much better.
I don’t think we can address the “big bodied mid thing” with a draftee, no matter who they are. If we get Smillie he will be like other drafted mids who may be great but just cannot physically match AFL hardened midfielders. Horne Francis and Reid came in as bloody big mids for their age and even they couldn’t do it straight away.

Jacob blight is ready to play now that’s the reason for picking him to shore up the defence

He's the WAFL Toby Pink. Let's get him! What will shore up defense is K. Dawson and Logue returning to support Comben. Then there's W. Dawson for the future on top of that.

KPD's are sorted.

That's worked out well for North....

We invested so much into Tarryn the Gangster....including a top 10 pick, money, years of development and I assume big offers for trades from rival clubs,

And in the end, we get a 3rd round pick in the MSD, which we probably wont use anyway...
Plus traded out our high end pick for Polec,,,,,with which they took Butters. Not to mention Blakey joining the Swans via academy in the same draft.....thats a pretty big swing in fortunes in 1 draft impacting now.

A nostrils recommendation
steve buscemi people to kill GIF

I don’t think we can address the “big bodied mid thing” with a draftee, no matter who they are. If we get Smillie he will be like other drafted mids who may be great but just cannot physically match AFL hardened midfielders. Horne Francis and Reid came in as bloody big mids for their age and even they couldn’t do it straight away.
He's bigger than both of those at 194cm.... junior footy footage that I've seen anyway he reminds me more of a young Ollie Wines (who was like a man playing against boys.....and Melbourne at the time past on him in favour of Jimmy Toumpas, having taken Viney who from memory he was best mates with). Pretty sure he made an immediate impact from memory.

Last edited:

No comment on Blight, as I wouldn't claim to know, but my take is that the club is more worried about the other end of the ground. It's admittedly a slim evidence base, but Viney nominated KPF as the first thing he said in reply to the Harford question about priorities, and I think that's also borne out by list composition - leaving aside the obviously important variable of quality, in terms of sheer numbers Comben, 2 x Dawsons, Corr, Pink, Nyuon gives more to choose from than Larkey, Sellers and Maley

No comment on Blight, as I wouldn't claim to know, but my take is that the club is more worried about the other end of the ground. It's admittedly a slim evidence base, but Viney nominated KPF as the first thing he said in reply to the Harford question about priorities, and I think that's also borne out by list composition - leaving aside the obviously important variable of quality, in terms of sheer numbers Comben, 2 x Dawsons, Corr, Pink, Nyuon gives more to choose from than Larkey, Sellers and Maley
You forgot Logue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see comben going forward

Blight is a better player than all those you named bar Logue imo

Jacob Blight is one that's played his way into the mid season draft conversation through his strong start to the season for Peel Thunder. Jacob's a big and mature key defender who's a solid aerialist and has a nice penetrating kick, although in this game we see him miss a few.

He has a nice kick, not a lot of intercept marking in that clip. I see a Sam Durdin type about him. Personally it was a mistake to delist Durdin we could have done with him in recent years. I'm hoping we go with Noah Howes, Larkey is in desperate need of support in the fwd 50.

Riley Collier-Dawkins would be a good choice for our second pick if we want a big bodied mid

What about Tom green brother big mid plays at port melb

Get Howes and the best speedy crumber then our work is done
I'd almost go with 2 x kpf (if Skaife or another touted KPF) is still available at second pick and best available ruckman at third pick (ready to play immediately).

If Larkey or Xerri go down we are royally rooted.

Add Smillie in the ND and we're starting to check off a lot of concerning gaps / needs.

Last edited:
Yeah they look incredible. From the footage he brings everything we are missing in the front half:

Fearless running forward
Big take take down tackles
Crumbing goals

The way he moves and kicks the ball made me think a little bit of how Winnie would glide across the ground.

It seems he would have immediate impact. From those who have actually seen him play, is that the case?
Yes! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back