Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Just re Szekely...

RookieMe say: "He was a top performer at South Australia's draft combine too, finishing in the top five for the 2km time trial and standing vertical jump."

In sum, this blokes got great pace, athleticism, goal sense, positional versatility, and competitiveness... so what's the Achilles heel that left him undrafted for the last four or five years?

Just re Szekely...

RookieMe say: "He was a top performer at South Australia's draft combine too, finishing in the top five for the 2km time trial and standing vertical jump."

In sum, this blokes got great pace, athleticism, goal sense, positional versatility, and competitiveness... so what's the Achilles heel that left him undrafted for the last four or five years?
He supports NMFC?..

Any good small forwards that we could take mid season?
I'm talking your ready to go tyson stengle types.
I was screaming for Stengle the moment I seen him at my local - drinking coke instead of snorting it. I’m still spewing we didn’t pick him up.

I’d put money on it Tarryn will be ‘thrown a life line’ for a ‘second chance’ & will ‘resurrect his career’ & win a flag.
We all know it’s going to happen.

Talent is talent. When they get thrown on the scrap heap they’re up for grabs.

Re; Tyson - From what I heard (pre-Geelong pickup & this Betts mentorship) he was already putting in the work.

I'd take Szekely with pick 1 as I'd doubt he lasts to our 2nd pick. Bit of Tim Kelly about him.

We are getting murdered each week by our inability to mark the ball in open play and by our inability to put even the barest pressure on opposition defences.

So, tall or small forward. Take your pick. Just pick the best players in both positions.

I'd take Szekely with pick 1 as I'd doubt he lasts to our 2nd pick. Bit of Tim Kelly about him.
You just know he will land at the Blues or Dons (or some other team with actual small forward depth) and torment the sh*t out of us with dazzling displays of freak goals when we play against them.

is it going to be like every other year where we name all the players we want and they all go undrafted! I remember we all had Ethan Phillips and Mannah picked out.

Seriously though do scouts and clubs just want to try and be smarter than everyone else? I dont care if they are highlights Frank looks a player! you would be doing well to get Drury highlights even close to that

I also think that we should take Szekely with the overall number 1 pick as given Carlton’s interest, he won’t be there for our second. As much as I’d like us to take Howes with pick 1, Szekely is the type of player that we are lacking.
He’s mature aged, 24 and has pace to burn. Also love his repeated efforts to tackle and smother. Players like him really set the tone on match day with their pressure. I really hope that we surprise everyone by taking him at 1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He looks the goods doesn't he.

Highlights obviously. Looks at his stats on the North website and he didn't hit the scoreboard alot before this year but averaged about 13-20 touches and 3+ tackles most seasons, so he hasn't really shown what he has this year earlier. Maybe its a maturity thing, he's 24 now and maybe grew up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No comment on Blight, as I wouldn't claim to know, but my take is that the club is more worried about the other end of the ground. It's admittedly a slim evidence base, but Viney nominated KPF as the first thing he said in reply to the Harford question about priorities, and I think that's also borne out by list composition - leaving aside the obviously important variable of quality, in terms of sheer numbers Comben, 2 x Dawsons, Corr, Pink, Nyuon gives more to choose from than Larkey, Sellers and Maley
There seems to be a narrative that we're leaking scores so get a dour full back in and that'll sort it.

The issues are further up the ground. No idea if this little fella is any good, but a small forward with speed who is willing to apply pressure could impact our performance more than another KPD.

Strong, defensive mid would be more impactful than a KD who's going to end up behind Comben, Logue, K Dawson and Corr this year.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

He looks the goods doesn't he.

Highlights obviously. Looks at his stats on the North website and he didn't hit the scoreboard alot before this year but averaged about 13-20 touches and 3+ tackles most seasons, so he hasn't really shown what he has this year earlier. Maybe its a maturity thing, he's 24 now and maybe grew up.
Maybe a tad unlucky coming out around the covid years possibly

There seems to be a narrative that we're leaking scores so get a dour full back in and that'll sort it.

The issues are further up the ground. No idea if this little fella is any good, but a small forward with speed who is willing to apply pressure could impact our performance more than another KPD.

Strong, defensive mid would be more impactful than a KD who's going to end up behind Comben, Logue, K Dawson and Corr this year.

Agreed, the way our zone falls apart up the ground it wouldn't matter who the key backs are - K Dawson, Pink, Nyuon etc might never make it, but it's hard to make a call when they've been repeatedly exposed by our inability to apply a whole of ground defence, beginning as you say by stopping the ball coming out of our F50 so easily

The other element to the list balance is that at least we can put KPDs on the park - they may or may not be good enough, but if Larkey goes down, the cupboard is bare

Hadn't checked out the highlights until KC gave the word, but golly:

Has a good highlights reel, but from what I've been told the reason why he hasn't been drafted previously is because of height (177cm) and because clubs see him as a small forward, but when he has spent extended time as a small forward in the SANFL he doesn't kick that many goals. He seems to do his best work as a winger/high half forward.

Be really interesting to see if he gets picks up, he has been on the radar for a few years now.

He is a really solid footballer, and has been gradually improving each year he has been in the VFL. The move to the bullants last year gave him that chance to play consistent VFL senior footy, as he didn't get an extended crack at Werribee and it paid dividends with him becoming a key player in the bullants side.

El-Hawli has mainly been playing on a wing this year but has also played across half back. He is not too dissimilar to Adam Saad the way he attacks off half back, but imo isn't the best one v one defender. He has shown plenty as a small forward too, despite not kicking any goals this year he kicked bags of 4,4,3 last season in a pretty avg side.

With his speed, skill and versatility he has more than enough tools to get a crack at AFL level imo.

The best we have looked all year (barely a glimmer) has been when we are winning the ball clearly from the middle and surging without too many errors…

or like most teams: clamping down hard with a zoned wall of upfield defenders and repeating entries. This second style is highly effective and considerably less work for defenders and mids but requires small forwards to work their backsides off. We don’t yet have any forwards that can do this yet.

Just draft Szeleky.

He is a really solid footballer, and has been gradually improving each year he has been in the VFL. The move to the bullants last year gave him that chance to play consistent VFL senior footy, as he didn't get an extended crack at Werribee and it paid dividends with him becoming a key player in the bullants side.

El-Hawli has mainly been playing on a wing this year but has also played across half back. He is not too dissimilar to Adam Saad the way he attacks off half back, but imo isn't the best one v one defender. He has shown plenty as a small forward too, despite not kicking any goals this year he kicked bags of 4,4,3 last season in a pretty avg side.

With his speed, skill and versatility he has more than enough tools to get a crack at AFL level imo.
poor old Bullants seem to be doing a good job giving players a crack, only to lose them to the AFL, our own Finbar among them. do the state league clubs still get $10,000 for a losing a player to the MSD? seems pretty miserly, beefing that up a fair bit would seem a reasonable way to develop the second tier

Has a good highlights reel, but from what I've been told the reason why he hasn't been drafted previously is because of height (177cm) and because clubs see him as a small forward, but when he has spent extended time as a small forward in the SANFL he doesn't kick that many goals. He seems to do his best work as a winger/high half forward.

Be really interesting to see if he gets picks up, he has been on the radar for a few years now.

Height is irrelevant if they can’t catch him! 177cm same height as Drury and taller than Fisher. Highlights are just that, however from the small sample reckon that there is plenty to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree. Outside our defensive issues (as in whole of ground / transition) our biggest issues are a leaky forward line - that also doesn't have contested marking power and a midfield that struggles to not turn it over.

Agree. Outside our defensive issues (as in whole of ground / transition) our biggest issues are a leaky forward line - that also doesn't have contested marking power and a midfield that struggles to not turn it over.
We have every ingredient for a casserole of ineptitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back