Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

The way I look at it.
We will address the big bodied mid thing with smilley.
We have a developing kpd in Will Dawson
Biggie and pink are busts.
Comben and Logue are locks
Kallan Dawson somewhere in between.
We have zero small forwards I can see ending up locks.
Larkey our only lock kpf.
Maley and sellers developing.
I think we take howes myself with pick 1 msd as the national draft options don't seem much better.

That's worked out well for North....

We invested so much into Tarryn the Gangster....including a top 10 pick, money, years of development and I assume big offers for trades from rival clubs,

And in the end, we get a 3rd round pick in the MSD, which we probably wont use anyway...

The way I look at it.
We will address the big bodied mid thing with smilley.
We have a developing kpd in Will Dawson
Biggie and pink are busts.
Comben and Logue are locks
Kallan Dawson somewhere in between.
We have zero small forwards I can see ending up locks.
Larkey our only lock kpf.
Maley and sellers developing.
I think we take howes myself with pick 1 msd as the national draft options don't seem much better.

Don't think we can go wrong with taking Howes. However, he'll still be a while away from playing senior footy. Scaife is probably closer to playing AFL, but probably doesn't have the athletic upside of Howes. Blight has the body to play straight away, but is in an area (defence) where we have more depth.

Do we recruit to try get someone to fill a role immediately? or do we go with someone with more upside. I think that will dictate as to who we take pick 1.

I disagree that the national draft doesn't seem much better. The depth of key forwards and talls in general in this draft is far better than the previous 3 years imo. Whitlock, Shanahan, Faull, Sims, Stumpf, McInnes and Armstrong just to name a few.

Don't think we can go wrong with taking Howes. However, he'll still be a while away from playing senior footy. Scaife is probably closer to playing AFL, but probably doesn't have the athletic upside of Howes. Blight has the body to play straight away, but is in an area (defence) where we have more depth.

Do we recruit to try get someone to fill a role immediately? or do we go with someone with more upside. I think that will dictate as to who we take pick 1.

I disagree that the national draft doesn't seem much better. The depth of key forwards and talls in general in this draft is far better than the previous 3 years imo. Whitlock, Shanahan, Faull, Sims, Stumpf, McInnes and Armstrong just to name a few.
Development has never been a strong suit of North. I'd rather take immediate impact and then use them playing to gauge what we need in the ND at the end of the year.

Jacob Blight is one that's played his way into the mid season draft conversation through his strong start to the season for Peel Thunder. Jacob's a big and mature key defender who's a solid aerialist and has a nice penetrating kick, although in this game we see him miss a few.

I should have phrased it better.
Pick 1 needs to be smilley
We are then left with a mid 20s pick for a possible kpf or small forward.
I don't see the options available at that point as noticeably better than howes. Either will take 2-3 years to be ready for AFL.
May as well take howes with the extra year of development.
Now this obviously changes if we split pick 1. But I'd hate to keep finishing bottom and have zero pick 1s to show for it

Jacob Blight is one that's played his way into the mid season draft conversation through his strong start to the season for Peel Thunder. Jacob's a big and mature key defender who's a solid aerialist and has a nice penetrating kick, although in this game we see him miss a few.

The kick 40 seconds in has Nth Melbourne defender written all over it.

Last edited:
I'd say we are paying $1.01 to get a tall with our first pick. Could look to fill other roles with our 2nd depending on who is available.

I really don't want Teakle, he is pretty soft and has had opportunities at AFL level before. Really don't see what he offers other than a bit of depth. Already have Free there for mature ruck depth.

You jest right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 1 Howes
Pick 2 Frank Szelekly
Pick 3 best Ruckman left dont care about age
Yes to Szeleky. Have heard Carlton are into him but if he's still there at our second pick he's definitely a type we need. More mature body than BobbyH and doesn't mind a run down
tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back