Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Academy gifts can cover a multitude of sins.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

As does player development. You can afford to burn a few earlier picks when you are consistently getting quality in the second and third rounds.

• Hannebery (pick 30)
  • Reid (pick 38)
  • Parker (pick 40)
  • McCartin (pick 33)
  • Warner (pick 39)
  • Rowbottom (pick 25)
  • Dawson (pick 56)
  • McInernery (pick 44)
  • Roberts (pick 34)

Not to mention how often they seem to hit on late and rookie selections. They're basically the poster child for player development.

As does player development. You can afford to burn a few earlier picks when you are consistently getting quality in the second and third rounds.

• Hannebery (pick 30)
  • Reid (pick 38)
  • Parker (pick 40)
  • McCartin (pick 33)
  • Warner (pick 39)
  • Rowbottom (pick 25)
  • Dawson (pick 56)
  • McInernery (pick 44)
  • Roberts (pick 34)

Not to mention how often they seem to hit on late and rookie selections. They're basically the poster child for player development.
They're a bit of a head**** to comment on because they're concurrently running a rort while having an exceptionally run football program.

• Hannebery (pick 30)
  • Reid (pick 38)
  • Parker (pick 40)
  • McCartin (pick 33)
  • Warner (pick 39)
  • Rowbottom (pick 25)
  • Dawson (pick 56)
  • McInernery (pick 44)
  • Roberts (pick 34)

Certainly works hand in hand. Player development and academy gifts. Perfect combination.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Speaking of Chad Warner and exceptions to the rule, here's Sydney's 2019 draft haul.

View attachment 1998737

They must have been drunk that year because they smashed it out of the park the year either side of that.

A lot easier to smash it out of the park when you get gifted the likes of Blakey, Heeney, Mills, Gulden ect.

If you're going to post unqualified s**t about the pressure to move us to the Gold Coast or any other topic like this, at least declare it as opinion.
Not sure what u are talking about GC, so pipe down junior. And if you are going to abuse my comment as wrong, I suggest you do your homework pal instead of shooting from the hip.

“…….an inside midfielder similar to West Coast’s Jack Redden, Warner is hard working, thrives on the contested side of the game, has good skills and is defensively sound. WHILE HE DOES NOT BOAST EXPLOSIVE SPEED…..”

• Hannebery (pick 30)
  • Reid (pick 38)
  • Parker (pick 40)
  • McCartin (pick 33)
  • Warner (pick 39)
  • Rowbottom (pick 25)
  • Dawson (pick 56)
  • McInernery (pick 44)
  • Roberts (pick 34)

Or poster child for talent identification going by that list.

A lot easier to smash it out of the park when you get gifted the likes of Blakey, Heeney, Mills, Gulden ect.
Happy to accept Blakey and Gulden who both come from footy backgrounds but as juniors Heeney was playing rugby league in Newcastle and Mills was playing rugby union on the North Shore of Sydney.

I’ve got no problem with the argument that northern academy clubs should have to give up more draft capital, but anyone who doesn’t think they’re critical in developing AFL level talent should come and spend some time watching junior football in Sydney.

As much as I hate the Swans, if Heeney goes on to win a Brownlow it will be huge for footy in NSW and a great example of what’s possible for local kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve had no success with mid season picks, so I don’t expect any walk in players to slot right in. So if a young tassie kid who can potentially be an aggressive midfielder/forward or hb and has been said to have talent, I say go for it.
I'd say Kallan Dawson was a successful pick.

They're basically the poster child for player development.
Sydney seem to get players who are self motivated. When Warner and his brother and another Sydney player were in wa during the border closure they all trained hard at a wafl club.
Could have easily just gone surfing.

Sydney seem to get players who are self motivated. When Warner and his brother and another Sydney player were in wa during the border closure they all trained hard at a wafl club.
Could have easily just gone surfing.
the reason they're self-motivated is because that's what the Sydney recruiting team value. Kinnear Beatson is on record as saying that he assumes from the start that any kid selected in the draft can play - what he looked for is competitive instinct, the will to succeed

seems to work

I don't mean to depress anyone, but we have to do better than this - games played per club pick in MSDs 2021-23. This downplays Collingwood's success (John Noble was taken in the 2019 MSD), but the general point is pretty obvious

MSD picks.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mean to depress anyone, but we have to do better than this - games played per club pick in MSDs 2021-23. This downplays Collingwood's success (John Noble was taken in the 2019 MSD), but the general point is pretty obvious

View attachment 1998915

Marlion Pickett was in that draft too.

You look through the list and there’s generally a couple of decent players taken. Newcombe and Durham probably better than decent. They were overlooked during COVID though. Probably easier for a player to slip through.

We’ve likely go the first crack, fingers crossed we find someone that can play.

I like him but 9 games in circa 2 seasons doesn't objectively rule him as such, just yet.
Its not how many games he's played but what he's shown in those games. Remember I was responding to a comment that said we'd had no success with MSD picks.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Available list spots prior to Round 11:

Following devastating Achilles injuries to Josh Goater and Callum Coleman-Jones, as well as the axing of Tarryn Thomas, the Kangaroos have three vacant list positions.

The Kangaroos will choose at No.1 overall unless they beat Port Adelaide in Hobart this Saturday and Richmond loses to Essendon. In that scenario, the Tigers would score the first overall selection.

Multiple sources have indicated that 18-year-old Tasmanian Geordie Payne is in the mix to be taken by the Kangaroos with the first pick. Payne, who’s renowned for his competitiveness and willingness to play with an ‘edge’, was one of the unluckiest players to be passed up at last year’s draft after an impressive 2023 campaign as a defender. The 184cm prospect has been a star for the Devils in the Coates Talent League close to goal, booting 12.9 — including 4.1 from 29 disposals against Eastern Ranges last weekend — from five games. He’s racked up 25, 29 and 29 disposals respectively from his past three matches.

West Perth’s Jasper Scaife — a 197cm forward who was draft eligible in 2022 — is the other player rival clubs believe North is weighing up with Pick 1. Scaife has kicked 9.5 from six WAFL league games this season, putting his booming kicking ability to good use.

The Roos could also consider ex-AFL player Matt Ling, who’s received ample interest from clubs ahead of the draft. After playing four games for the Sydney Swans, Ling has represented Geelong’s VFL side and SANFL club Norwood, with the 25-year-old also playing for SA in a state league game against WA this month. Ling recently had 24 disposals against Adelaide’s SANFL side.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Available list spots prior to Round 11:

Following devastating Achilles injuries to Josh Goater and Callum Coleman-Jones, as well as the axing of Tarryn Thomas, the Kangaroos have three vacant list positions.

The Kangaroos will choose at No.1 overall unless they beat Port Adelaide in Hobart this Saturday and Richmond loses to Essendon. In that scenario, the Tigers would score the first overall selection.

Multiple sources have indicated that 18-year-old Tasmanian Geordie Payne is in the mix to be taken by the Kangaroos with the first pick. Payne, who’s renowned for his competitiveness and willingness to play with an ‘edge’, was one of the unluckiest players to be passed up at last year’s draft after an impressive 2023 campaign as a defender. The 184cm prospect has been a star for the Devils in the Coates Talent League close to goal, booting 12.9 — including 4.1 from 29 disposals against Eastern Ranges last weekend — from five games. He’s racked up 25, 29 and 29 disposals respectively from his past three matches.

West Perth’s Jasper Scaife — a 197cm forward who was draft eligible in 2022 — is the other player rival clubs believe North is weighing up with Pick 1. Scaife has kicked 9.5 from six WAFL league games this season, putting his booming kicking ability to good use.

The Roos could also consider ex-AFL player Matt Ling, who’s received ample interest from clubs ahead of the draft. After playing four games for the Sydney Swans, Ling has represented Geelong’s VFL side and SANFL club Norwood, with the 25-year-old also playing for SA in a state league game against WA this month. Ling recently had 24 disposals against Adelaide’s SANFL side.
So do we have 2 or 3 spots?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back