2 -
4 - Ashton Moir
20 -
25 -
-
-
36 -
43 -
Elijah to get his number from his junior ranks with the Bushrangers, Vic Country and All Stars....

1700618482643.png 1700618560947.png 1700618743538.png

I've run through all the possibilities and I think this is my favourite combination:

2. Elijah Hollands

Shows that we're backing him in to become a star of the football club. Suits his half-forward/mid position. Next door to SOS and Mots which will help keep him on the straight and narrow. I also considered him for #20 because he wore it in juniors, but I really think a fresh start could be good for him after doing his ACL in #20 and the experience he had at the Suns in #36.
4. Jaxon Binns

He wore #4 through all of his junior teams and has earned a number change through some hard graft in the VFL. Giving him a smaller number that he has a sentimental connection with after the first season he had sends a strong message to the VFL/AFL playing groups and reinforces the good culture we are attempting to foster.
20. Ashton Moir

The number he wore during his best footy as a bottom ager at Glenelg. Let's help him recapture that form. Good to have him in the locker next to Jack Martin.
25. Orazio Fantasia

A bit of razzle dazzle in a number that means so much to all of us. It just makes sense to see the #25 kicking snags for for the Blues. You know I'm right.
34. Billy Wilson

We selected him at Pick #34 and being reminded of that number could add a layer of motivation for him to improve every day. Could be another where he does his apprenticeship in 34 and moves on or he may stay there his whole career.
35. Matt Duffy

I assume we'll still allocate him a number even though he's been ruled out for the year with injury. No real significance behind giving him this number, but I did want he and Monahan to be next to each other to help them forge a strong bond on their AFL journey.
36. Rob Monahan

Just wanted he and Duffy next to each other.
43. Matt Carroll

Hear me out on this one ... I'm not a fan of the way we have treated this number recently. We shouldn't be so precious with it (by leaving it dormant) or force it onto highly touted players that we think will become stars (ala Setterfield). It means they live in the shadow of Kouta's legacy when they already have enough pressure trying to make it as an AFL player. Instead we should give it randomly to players selected later in the draft and allow them to create their own unique story just like Simon White did. Nice to have young Matt in the locker next to Saady and Owies.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if Jack does go (not a certainty, hope he has a breakout year), I'd doubt either the club or the family/boys would want one of them to get 16. Not when both are recruited at the same time.
I would be surprised if they passed it up if available. They could easily flip a coin or whatever to decide.

Don’t contracts expire 31st October for AFL players?
Our app with the AFL squad should be updated minus those that have already departed from then.
Now that we’re full, the new faces should be input with their new numbers as a follow up.

Our app with the AFL squad should be updated minus those that have already departed from then.
Now that we’re full, the new faces should be input with their new numbers as a follow up.
Why would an AFL club keep their website up to date with a list of current players?

Yes they do but nothing to do with the Club & more to do with the AFL.

Check other Club websites and you will find that traded/delisted players are still on their lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back