Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

I think about his career a lot. At his peak, people were very quickly saying he is one of the best handful players of all time which always seemed to me to be, for want of a better term, very American, “count the rings” type of argument that didn’t stand up to scrutiny. Rather than year upon year of excellence being the determinant of the greatest players of all time, this guy gets in for four extraordinary years shaped by a coach who essentially relieved him of any defensive duties and he got to free wheel in a way which barely any other player has been afforded. And that isn’t his fault, of course, but to me there are so many other players who have been asked to do far more, for far longer, and done excellently irrespective of whether the side they played in was a flag contender or not even a finals contender.

For instance, imo guys like Chris Judd, Scott Pendlebury, Marcus Bontempelli, and Christian Petracca will go down as better players in the historical sense than Dustin Martin. I could name others if I thought about it but those come to mind immediately.

judd was brilliant, but his kicking was often terrible
overall, i don't think he was as good as the hype, but he did have sublime moments and patches
martin was a great player, but he was arguably the best "big match" (finals) player i've seen since carey (god, i hate saying that)
and i think dangerfield is probably worth including in that group
but the obvious omission is goodes, surely he deserves including in that group of great players of the modern era

Everything both Merrett and Moore had to say
Dickheads. Noticing more and more clout chasers going to bigger games like this as a status thing and then spending the day drinking with little to no interest in the footy. Between them and the fact you have two of the biggest collections of ******* supporters in the league ad you have recipe for disaster.

Dickheads. Noticing more and more clout chasers going to bigger games like this as a status thing and then spending the day drinking with little to no interest in the footy. Between them and the fact you have two of the biggest collections of ******* supporters in the league ad you have recipe for disaster.

I thought it started with Darcy going on and on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers were lucky Elliot dropped that chance in the last minute. Such a clutch kick I'd have given him a chance.
All he had to do was get a score as well. Would have been a certainty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back