Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I can almost forgive those comments around Geelong and GWS but I don't know how anyone who has watched Carlton closely this year could put them that far ahead of us. They will genuinely struggle to make top 4, let alone win a flag. Top 8 might even be a battle for them.
I could understand why King ranked us behind all three of those teams at the start of the week. It was his comment that his opinion wasn't going to change that I found odd, especially with all the top teams starting to play other top teams in the next few weeks after relatively easy starts to the season.

My question mark over us was the ability to play tough footy, despite the fact we played tough footy in the opening round against Melbourne and won reasonably comfortable. Everyone knows we can play beautiful footy when we're allowed to, but how would we cope when conditions or the opposition didn't allow us to. One match can't predict a whole season, but yesterday showed we are more than capable of playing tough footy when we need to. When you combine it with the Melbourne game, I think it should answer the biggest question mark commentators had over our credentials, and move us right into the top group of contenders at this stage of the season.

I could understand why King ranked us behind all three of those teams at the start of the week. It was his comment that his opinion wasn't going to change that I found odd, especially with all the top teams starting to play other top teams in the next few weeks after relatively easy starts to the season.

My question mark over us was the ability to play tough footy, despite the fact we played tough footy in the opening round against Melbourne and won reasonably comfortable. Everyone knows we can play beautiful footy when we're allowed to, but how would we cope when conditions or the opposition didn't allow us to. One match can't predict a whole season, but yesterday showed we are more than capable of playing tough footy when we need to. When you combine it with the Melbourne game, I think it should answer the biggest question mark commentators had over our credentials, and move us right into the top group of contenders at this stage of the season.
I agree with that. I think yesterday's game was the most physical game of football I've seen this year (particularly in the first half) and also one of the highest pressure games this year so that's a massive tick for us.

From what I've heard, king's question marks over us relate to our backline and forward line. The backline I think he has underestimated. We don't have the KPD stocks of some of the other contenders but our backline is full of quality players and our overall defensive system and rebound is excellent.

The forward line I agree on. While I think we have some good small and medium forward options our talls are poor compared to most other contenders. History has shown though that you don't necessarily need great key position forwards to win a flag and with so many goal scoring mids in our side I think we can cover that deficiency. We haven't exactly struggled to score this season even against quality defences like GWS and Melbourne.

I agree with that. I think yesterday's game was the most physical game of football I've seen this year (particularly in the first half) and also one of the highest pressure games this year so that's a massive tick for us.

From what I've heard, king's question marks over us relate to our backline and forward line. The backline I think he has underestimated. We don't have the KPD stocks of some of the other contenders but our backline is full of quality players and our overall defensive system and rebound is excellent.

The forward line I agree on. While I think we have some good small and medium forward options our talls are poor compared to most other contenders. History has shown though that you don't necessarily need great key position forwards to win a flag and with so many goal scoring mids in our side I think we can cover that deficiency. We haven't exactly struggled to score this season even against quality defences like GWS and Melbourne.

Offence is fine IMO.

Averaging over 103 points per game. The lack of reliance on one or two to score our goals makes us far more dangerous

Agreed. Would be great to get more out of the 3 talls but if the systems working then who cares

Think they will pop up inconsistently, taking turns being the focal one.

Lead goal scorers each round:

OR Mclean and Wilbur
1 Logan
2 Papley
3 Logan
4 Amartey, Gulden, Logan (2)
6 Amartey
7 Logan, Heeney
8 Wilbur

In comparison, blues

OR - Curnow
1 - Mckay
3 - Mckay
4 - Curnow
5 - Curnow
6 - Curnow and Mckay
7 - Curnow
8 - Mckay

Agreed. Would be great to get more out of the 3 talls but if the systems working then who cares
Yep. It works. Don't heck with it. We've watch our team be buddy centric for 10 years. Let's enjoy the spread of goal kickers for a change. Our priority has to be a KD.

I’m unsure if you were at the game but the conditions were not as bad as you would think. It pissed down in the second but was pretty dry after that.

Regardless, losing Tom McCartin was covered more easily against GWS than and their forwards than other teams as Rampe, Melican, Blakey, and Fox still match up ok against Brown, Hogan, and Riccardi. GWS losing Tom Green is possibly a bigger loss but doesn’t account for the dominance we had.

Yes, when it was pissing down is when we took control of the game. I also think the broader point I made originally that Green going down injured helped us get on top is more crucial as we were able to dominate the midfield and stop supply to their forwards at the source.

i'd reckon i mostly agree with your opinions, but i think you're underselling our tall forwards ...
it's not just about the statistics, it's also about the match-up problems they create on the field, and the fact their presence and movement create opportunities for smaller players around them
i'd also argue we're only a third of the way into the season ... mcdonald/amartey/mclean, and the team around them, are still developing ... and the three talls all still have a lot of individual improvement in them ...
there's far too much "heat of the moment" commentary generally about those three ...
mclean, as a mobile big man and backup ruck, is already a far better player than he was this time last year; mcdonald (as has been pointed out regularly) has just turned 22 and is still getting confidence in himself in terms of physically competing with opponents; amartey probably similar to mcdonald, but also is still developing regards both his positioning and his stamina

basically, i think we have a premiership-calibre side now, we have everything we need, and i've been saying it for a while
i really believe our biggest challenge is mental, and i think we've already shown a few times this year we're improving in that area too ... the most emphatic being yesterday's win, after giving away a 15-point start at quarter time, then compensating for losing mccartin ... we showed a lot of mental and emotional maturity

i'd reckon i mostly agree with your opinions, but i think you're underselling our tall forwards ...
it's not just about the statistics, it's also about the match-up problems they create on the field, and the fact their presence and movement create opportunities for smaller players around them
i'd also argue we're only a third of the way into the season ... mcdonald/amartey/mclean, and the team around them, are still developing ... and the three talls all still have a lot of individual improvement in them ...
there's far too much "heat of the moment" commentary generally about those three ...
mclean, as a mobile big man and backup ruck, is already a far better player than he was this time last year; mcdonald (as has been pointed out regularly) has just turned 22 and is still getting confidence in himself in terms of physically competing with opponents; amartey probably similar to mcdonald, but also is still developing regards both his positioning and his stamina

basically, i think we have a premiership-calibre side now, we have everything we need, and i've been saying it for a while
i really believe our biggest challenge is mental, and i think we've already shown a few times this year we're improving in that area too ... the most emphatic being yesterday's win, after giving away a 15-point start at quarter time, then compensating for losing mccartin ... we showed a lot of mental and emotional maturity
I very much agree with your points regarding our tall forwards. Outside of a couple of questions on Amartey I have no issue at all with where McDonald and McLean are at and I frequently defend both.

McDonald is exactly where he should be for a developing key forward.

McLean I don't think has too much more room for improvement but he's a very good role player already. He can clunk a mark, chop out in the ruck really well and generally makes really good decisions with ball in hand.

Amartey I do have concerns over mostly because of his lack of a tank at his age (understanding that he hasn't had the benefit of consistent preseasons) but he shows those glimpses that make you wonder what he could become if he puts it all together one day.

So I definitely don't have any problems with where our tall forwards are heading, just stating that I can see why some would see our tall forwards as a weakness when compared to the other contenders right now (excluding Melbourne).

Again though... Our offensive system as a team is humming along just fine and while I've heard David King specifically say his questions about us are "inside the arcs", it's fortunate for us that offense and defence are no longer something that mostly happens inside the arcs. We have all the avenues to goal we need right now.

Last edited:
I very much agree with your points regarding our tall forwards. Outside of a couple of questions on Amartey I have no issue at all with where McDonald and McLean are at and I frequently defend both.

McLean I don't think has too much more room for improvement but he's a very good role player already. He can clunk a mark, chop out in the ruck really well and generally makes really good decisions with ball in hand.

Amartey I do have concerns over mostly because of his lack of a tank at his age (understanding that he hasn't had the benefit of consistent preseasons) but he shows those glimpses that make you wonder what he could become if he puts it all together one day.

So I definitely don't have any problems with where our tall forwards are heading, just stating that I can see what some would currently see our tall forwards as a weakness when compared to the other contenders right now (excluding Melbourne).

Again though... Our offensive system as a team is humming along just fine and while I've heard David King specifically say his questions about us are "inside the arcs", it's fortunate for us that offense and defence are no longer something that mostly happens inside the arcs. We have all the avenues to goal we need right now.

fair enough, and yes, we have plenty of players who can score for us, and are doing so
as long as footy media analysts ("experts") keep bringing up franklin, and keep rating the swans on some kind of with franklin/without franklin scale, our tall forwards will be regarded as a weakness

So I definitely don't have any problems with where our tall forwards are heading, just stating that I can see why some would see our tall forwards as a weakness when compared to the other contenders right now (excluding Melbourne).

I agree with all of your post. Just to add a little. A possible comparison to Amartey,.. all be it a better version at this stage , could be Anthony Rocca.
He had a lot of trouble with contest to contest and repeat efforts fitness.
He turned out pretty good.

I think what Amartey is offering, even if it doesn't show up on stats , is being underrated. He is creating alot of ground balls up front from what I see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have doubts about if Sydney can get the job done in good weather on the MCG, on a Friday night, if it's a full moon, and it's winter and they haven't gone for a swim at the beach that morning. That's a concern for me. I think that if they can't do that then their game won't hold up in September.
Wow! Really? Okay, so let's work the problem...
1. September is generally considered spring (but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to try and change that!);
2. The full (harvest) moon is on a Tuesday (18/09), so no worries there;
3. The boys having a swim in Melbourne in September might mean that we need to call in the ice breakers, but perhaps they can swim in an indoor pool?
4. The weather in Melbourne is tricky and is renowned world wide for having 4 seasons in 1 day; so all we can do is pray!

I think we need to email John and let him know our plan to combat these contingencies!

Lol! :roflv1::roflv1::roflv1::tongueoutv1:

Yes, when it was pissing down is when we took control of the game. I also think the broader point I made originally that Green going down injured helped us get on top is more crucial as we were able to dominate the midfield and stop supply to their forwards at the source.
I agree that Green going down didn't hurt us, but I don't think he alone would have made the difference! It takes a whole midfield group, rather than just one outstanding player; but certainly makes a difference!

We lost to the Tigers, with rumours of bug going through the club, and losing Rampe during the game...

Wow! Really? Okay, so let's work the problem...
1. September is generally considered spring (but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to try and change that!);
2. The full (harvest) moon is on a Tuesday (18/09), so no worries there;
3. The boys having a swim in Melbourne in September might mean that we need to call in the ice breakers, but perhaps they can swim in an indoor pool?
4. The weather in Melbourne is tricky and is renowned world wide for having 4 seasons in 1 day; so all we can do is pray!

I think we need to email John and let him know our plan to combat these contingencies!

Lol! :roflv1::roflv1::roflv1::tongueoutv1:
He talks about US like he's from somewhere else , he even says they , god help us Kirky

He talks about US like he's from somewhere else , he even says they , god help us Kirky
I think he was just having a bit of fun saying how confident he was in our performance... a little bit of tongue in cheek...

At least that's the way I took it... :grinv1:

I agree with all of your post. Just to add a little. A possible comparison to Amartey,.. all be it a better version at this stage , could be Anthony Rocca.
He had a lot of trouble with contest to contest and repeat efforts fitness.
He turned out pretty good.

I think what Amartey is offering, even if it doesn't show up on stats , is being underrated. He is creating alot of ground balls up front from what I see.
That's incredibly optimistic. He is Jessie White.

On media, watching the Sunday Footy show and my god they just fill it with absolute s**t.

How about actual indepth analysis of the game with a small amount of s**t talk...
Was a pretty poor effort on a 2 vs 3 clash.

David King on TV the other night.
"I have the Big three as contenders."
*ignoring the swans.

Geelong, GWS and Carlton.

How'd those apples go this round?
Kingies Kiss of Death is an actual thing I reckon :tongueoutv1:

On media, watching the Sunday Footy show and my god they just fill it with absolute s**t.

How about actual indepth analysis of the game with a small amount of s**t talk...

Wrong show for that 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back