Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Buku looks so comfortable down back. Annoying that we’ve chopped and changed so many times. Just leave him there now.
I’m hopeful the time forward has been good for his development, he’s never been ready previously for a full time defence spot anyway so if this has been good for his development all good. Should be clear to anyone though if he’s gonna make it at the level it needs to be this role in defence, he’s an interesting one could make a massive difference to our season imo

With Ginny there now, do Hawks people wish they got Sanders instead of Watson?

Nope. It's been one preseason praccy match and there was enough that I saw from the Wiz to know he will be a special talent. It was a hard day to gauge forwards with the conditions. Very much feast or famine from quarter to quarter.

We're having trouble fitting our young mids as it is. McKenzie and Hustwaite were some of our best on and they are still on the fringes.

I think Sanders will be great (huge fan of him in his junior year - might not have the highest ceiling compared to a Reid/Duursma but just a pure footballer) but we desperately needed forward class.

Breust is a champion but he is on his last legs.

From a list building POV we had to land Duursma/Wiz. Only other alternative was Curtin/O'Sullivan (think the latter would have been a reach).

I will be very surprised if Sanders doesn't finish top 3 in the Rising Star. Have a cheeky fiver on him too (even before yesterday).

We'll see you again next week 👍

Also I gotta add that when Darcy fills out he is going to be a monster. Still raw but he looked unplayable at times.

You guys are going to have a very handy selection headache fitting all those talls. If English was to leave at the end of the year it might be a blessing in disguise.

Can play small? Imagine a medium-size guy who's hardly played for two years ending up matched with a Pickett, Rankine or Cameron?
Players who can do that are a rare breed.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
We’ve been blessed with guys like Wood and Morris as third talls. I’d love Khamis to get there. Has the tools and is experienced enough now to exert himself.
I haven’t seen a lot of Coffield. What I’ve seen is a smart and tidy footballer. Wish he had a touch more pace but might be okay if he is smart with his positioning and timing.

Tom Jonas 2023 vibes
At the end of the day, leadership is far greater than the 3 hours in game day that we see. He’s not the captain so it’s not a big deal to leave him out.

The guys spend full time hours at the club and there’s a whole host of young guys that need leadership in the VFL that his leadership certainly won’t go to waste if he’s not best 22.

I'd say not, Buss is a strict interceptor right now, his still very wirey. JOD has a very solid build and is suited to proper forwards
Then we've got a hell of a lot riding on the availability of Jones and JOD. If Jones goes down Naughts would almost have to go back. He's locked up for 83 years so he doesn't have to like it haha.

Then we've got a hell of a lot riding on the availability of Jones and JOD. If Jones goes down Naughts would almost have to go back. He's locked up for 83 years so he doesn't have to like it haha.
Yeah Jones going down is probably the only time I’d happily move Naughty to full time defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to raise it again however if we are a better team with JUH, Lobb, Darcy, English and Astro in the team with Astro playing back so we are to not top heavy up forward do we consider playing Astro back. Happy for Astro to play forward but not in front of what is best for the team.

I hate to raise it again however if we are a better team with JUH, Lobb, Darcy, English and Astro in the team with Astro playing back so we are to not top heavy up forward do we consider playing Astro back. Happy for Astro to play forward but not in front of what is best for the team.
Watch the game yesterday? Naughty was probably best on and completely dominant. Blokes a forward and a bloody good one

Naughton doesn't make us 'top heavy' - he's probably our best & quickest defensive forward when the ball is on the deck.

Now, Darcy and Lobb in the same forwardline is top heavy.

Naughton doesn't make us 'top heavy' - he's probably our best & quickest defensive forward when the ball is on the deck.

Now, Darcy and Lobb in the same forwardline is top heavy.
Yeah it’s a good point which often gets overlooked, he’s genuinely one of if not our best defensive pressure forwards - moving him out to fix that issue makes no sense. There was a great example yesterday when he nearly clunked a great mark but it just bobbled out and before he even hit the ground he was laying the tackle on the player it landed with. There’s just no one else who can do that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back