Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

I was nervous before Pies but more confident before Dees. Swans at SCG will be a tough ask, particularly with the form they're in at the moment. Longmire will have them switched on for the whole game. As in all games this year, I believe the talent on the field is there to win.

I was nervous before Pies but more confident before Dees. Swans at SCG will be a tough ask, particularly with the form they're in at the moment. Longmire will have them switched on for the whole game. As in all games this year, I believe the talent on the field is there to win.
We do seem to match up better against Dee’s and swans compared to cats crows and filth who can play that quick/slick transition game which appears to be challenging for our players/game style.

Swans can also transition no doubt but they generally play more of the contested style which is our main strength.

Swans are a bit of an unknown. At present they've had a draw that's really aligned well for them. Playing Pies when they were off, GWS and Melbourne at the advantageous SCG, * at the SCG but still conceded over a 100 points. And we know they've lost to the Tigers.

They are gettable need a good solid 4 quarter effort though.
I can’t wait for this game.

We match up well - out forwards will worry them - especially in a team so good out of the centre on the short SCG.

Our backline should be able to handle Paper-ley, Amarty & the other bloke.

It’s all about centre clearance & team defensive pressure - we get that, our talls will kick a winning score.

Last edited:
We do seem to match up better against Dee’s and swans compared to cats crows and filth who can play that quick/slick transition game which appears to be challenging for our players/game style.

Swans can also transition no doubt but they generally play more of the contested style which is our main strength.
Swans are clearly top of the pops right now. Having to travel back from W.A. is not ideal for them. But, it really was not much more than match sim. By the sound of it.

Our eight day break should freshen up the weary legs and we should be primed. Cerras hammy unfortunate, would like to see Carroll get another chance. Maybe, as sub. Binns the only other one deserving of a promotion, just think the tighter dimensions of the SCG are not in his favour.

Is it just me or is our draw this year an actual nightmare?

I decided to play with the ladder predictor and marked a couple losses against tough sides while thinking "its ok we'll have a good run of low sides soon"... yet it didnt seem to happen until really late with Kangas/Hawks (i think) b2b.

Its like every 2nd week we play Cats/Pies/Power

Is it just me or is our draw this year an actual nightmare?

I decided to play with the ladder predictor and marked a couple losses against tough sides while thinking "its ok we'll have a good run of low sides soon"... yet it didnt seem to happen until really late with Kangas/Hawks (i think) b2b.

Its like every 2nd week we play Cats/Pies/Power
It is a very tough draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Durdin has to go it’s the equivalent of playing one short.

Try Boyd forward at least he can lay a tackle.
Leave Boyd down back. Bring in Binns and play him forwrd. His pressure will be through the roof and will set goals up and probably snag 1 or 2 himself.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bring in Binns and play him forwrd. His pressure will be through the roof and will set goals up and probably snag 1 or 2 himself.

Fine in therory.. but does Binns have the physical strength to stick a tackle?

Durdin tries to lay some but bigger players just brush him off. Binns is smaller again.

There is no combined approach
Poor choice of words by me: I was simply referring to genuinely engaging in the discussion.
We got done by the Pies with Kennedy as sub, and Cuningham and Fantasia providing run
I think the original plan was for Cuningham to be subbed out, likewise I'd imagine Martin would have been subbed on Thursday, but we're back to whack-a-mole injury management as the athletic workload in midfield gets put on the back of a select few.
Now, I'm not blaming Hewett here, but we were in control of the game with Cripps, Cerra and Kennedy as the bulls, and the Dees came back when Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett were the bulls.
Cripps and Kennedy had been burning themselves out and that should have been more substantially addressed in rotations and tactics.

Perhaps it could have also been addressed at selection if both were playing through duress. Covid and Flu season are in full force at the moment, so I wouldn't be shocked if the team needed a shake up to spread the running loads.
I like Hewett and Cerra, but they go missing too and don't have the same ability to play different positions.
I have to strongly disagree here: Kennedy is vastly overrated as a permanent forward, and Cerra is as capable dropping back.

It's Hewett that's the versatile one given he can actually play as a lockdown defender.

I'd argue that of the two, only Cerra has gone missing this season in patches, and that's likely due to his injury issues.
Care to mention who the opponents were in each of those rounds? I think you'll find that the quality of opposition since Pitto's return maybe skews these win/loss results a bit don't ya think?
You want me to write the fixture down for you?

Taking the Adelaide game as a template, I'd encourage you to look at Reilly O'Brien's aggregate statistics versus TDK's.

The only clear difference between them besides Reilly having 50% more looks this year is that Reilly operates at just over 50% for hitout wins, which I believe is #4 in the league amongst regular rucks and only bested by Cox, Goldstein and the recently returned Darcy, with Witts and Gawn being slightly behind at about 47%.

There's a correlation there: they all have freakishly long reach, and they're either freakishly tall or built like a truck. TDK does not have the same athletic tools, but he otherwise does the same work.

Meanwhile, Pittonet hasn't been more successful at winning hitouts this year, just slightly more successful at hitting to advantage, while racking up clearances because nobody bothers to track him after the tap, something TDK is also experiencing.

I'd argue the system is far and away the issue, and our coaches are yet to recognise how to address it.

Last year the answer was to prevent a massive leap at the centre bounce and to bullock at general stoppages, but both our rucks have shed mass, which makes the latter more challenging.

I'm really happy with how TDK is playing, and I'm happy to see Pittonet moving a bit more freely - though this week he clearly couldn't recover as easily after the ruck contest - but I don't think this setup suits them.

I think it's too simple, and lacks basic blocks and screens, and seems to just want rucks to catapult into the air instead of trying to play to their strengths, diminishing their output in other phases of play as a result.

The easiest way to fix that quickly is to emphasise preventing the big opposition leap again, and injecting players with speed and enough ability to drive or weave through some contact to continue a chain of possession. Last year, that was Dow with some cameos from our small forwards... who will it be this year?
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Don’t try and take us as fools. We watch the games
I'm sorry what's your argument here? Mine is that the quality of the clearance and the quality of the spread and chain of possession matters more than who attempts to dink the ball to whom.

I don't have direct access to that qualitative analysis here, but safe to assume Freo didn't generate much scoring from their clearance dominance against us, just found a way to overwhelmingly beat us to the ball when TDK wasn't hitting it onto a team mate's chest.

Teams are now setup to gobble up crap clearing kicks and handballs, the most dramatic result in our matches being how we beat Freo.

But thanks for enormous contribution and notification!
However - I enjoy all the hyperbolic fantasy selections posted by people who don't think the coach or MC have a clue - I stopped taking such commentary seriously around this time last year.
You mean the same time when the entire organisation had a series of crisis meetings and instituted a bunch of changes I'd spoken about for 2 years?

Uhuh, yup. Sure.
that's the team I would play but I don't know if Saad is ready or Newman not suspended.
Well this is ironic... the last few pages are littered with direct links and comments on Newman... what exactly are you paying attention to?

On a more serious note, Saad at 4 weeks is the absolute minimum for a grade 2 hamstring tear. He's turning 30 in July and has played through a lot of pain, so unless the medical imagining is spectacularly clear we shouldn't be playing him.

So we're lauding Kennedy - and apparently Pittonet - for a single quarter? What are you even arguing for, mediocrity and flippant defensive responsibility in midfield?

Improve the midfield that can't arrest the manic slide after the manic start... hint: it's mostly slow and lacks genuine body strength.
Jim, you're claiming that Gawn was dominant, he wasn't.
He had more hitouts (Blues w/more clearances) but his impact around the ground was similar to Pitt.
I'd take that as a win in a scenario where it's role player v star.

Last edited:
Saad’s the big one. It will transform the backline. Quicker all round on a smaller ground and more solid in defence. Would absolutely love it if we win this one. Could be 8-3 at the halfway point.
And take Hayward home with us on the plane? Or Paps?🤔

Saad’s the big one. It will transform the backline. Quicker all round on a smaller ground and more solid in defence. Would absolutely love it if we win this one. Could be 8-3 at the halfway point.

100% - you could almost argue he is our most important player - or at least the difference to us being a genuine premiership contender.

It is a very tough draw.
I don't mind it in one sense. It's an old cliche, but I do believe to be the best you have to beat 'the best'. Every game this year I believe we've had enough on-field talent to win. For me, it comes down to system, effort, and on-field footy IQ. That's where I love the additions of Gov and JM. But Gee, I'd love a game where in the last 10 minutes I know we've got it. I doubt it will be this week, though...

When Saad is back I am 100% in the camp of trying Williams forward as I much prefer the balance of Cinc and Boyd in the back 6/7 with Gov, Weiters, JW, Newman and Kemp/Marchy.

I think Williams footy smarts, decision making and skills would be ideal for the role. Id love to bring him into the role this week, but Durds does not deserve to be dropped based on last weeks game, so maybe play him as sub and bring him onto the forward flank when he comes on.

Nice to have players coming back and some options with selection.

Out: Cez

In: Williams / Cunners who would both don the subs vest.

You want me to write the fixture down for you?

Maybe you should write it down for yourself first...

Taking the Adelaide game as a template, I'd encourage you to look at Reilly O'Brien's aggregate statistics versus TDK's.

The only clear difference between them besides Reilly having 50% more looks this year is that Reilly operates at just over 50% for hitout wins, which I believe is #4 in the league amongst regular rucks and only bested by Cox, Goldstein and the recently returned Darcy, with Witts and Gawn being slightly behind at about 47%.

There's a correlation there: they all have freakishly long reach, and they're either freakishly tall or built like a truck. TDK does not have the same athletic tools, but he otherwise does the same work.

Meanwhile, Pittonet hasn't been more successful at winning hitouts this year, just slightly more successful at hitting to advantage, while racking up clearances because nobody bothers to track him after the tap, something TDK is also experiencing.

I'd argue the system is far and away the issue, and our coaches are yet to recognise how to address it.

Last year the answer was to prevent a massive leap at the centre bounce and to bullock at general stoppages, but both our rucks have shed mass, which makes the latter more challenging.

I'm really happy with how TDK is playing, and I'm happy to see Pittonet moving a bit more freely - though this week he clearly couldn't recover as easily after the ruck contest - but I don't think this setup suits them.

I think it's too simple, and lacks basic blocks and screens, and seems to just want rucks to catapult into the air instead of trying to play to their strengths, diminishing their output in other phases of play as a result.

The easiest way to fix that quickly is to emphasise preventing the big opposition leap again, and injecting players with speed and enough ability to drive or weave through some contact to continue a chain of possession. Last year, that was Dow with some cameos from our small forwards... who will it be this year?

Look, argue your point all you want for all I care... you have your opinion and I respect that even though I don't necessarily agree with everything you're saying.

But using our W/L as a basis to back up your point didn't really do any favours. It's not like we were winning in very convincing fashion before Pitto's return either... and of course, that was against significantly weaker opposition too...

The Adelaide loss maybe had more to do with losing Saad and Gov...

As far as injecting speed goes, it's not really something we have in abundance... the only way we will play with more speed is to move the ball quicker and be more daring. That of course, requires better execution but I'd argue we actually do have the players for that, it's just a matter of them being able to stay on the park.

You’re really happy with how easily he gets run down, takes forever to dispose of the ball and has terrible efficiency.

He almost single handily played Melbourne back into the game with his play on that second half.

I think he has the makings of a player but is being gifted games and is a total liability.

Nah, total liability is such an overreaction. He makes mistakes and in trying to pinpoint passes into the forward line takes an extra second to line up the shot.

He is a great young player and worth keeping in the seniors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back