Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Fine in therory.. but does Binns have the physical strength to stick a tackle?

Durdin tries to lay some but bigger players just brush him off. Binns is smaller again.
Bins is 10cm taller. Had 2 pre seasons now, will be stronger than you expect.

You'll get more out if Binns than Durds at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

You mean the same time when the entire organisation had a series of crisis meetings and instituted a bunch of changes I'd spoken about for 2 years?

Uhuh, yup. Sure.

Well this is ironic... the last few pages are littered with direct links and comments on Newman... what exactly are you paying attention to?

On a more serious note, Saad at 4 weeks is the absolute minimum for a grade 2 hamstring tear. He's turning 30 in July and has played through a lot of pain, so unless the medical imagining is spectacularly clear we shouldn't be playing him.
1. Re last year all I am going to say is: The facts are that Voss was correct in insisting that the cornerstone of relevance for any team is defense and contested work - which comes as no surprise because DOH anyone who has played at any level of competitive sport - let alone elite levels understands this across any contact code of sport - any other commentary is ( to put it bluntly)- ignorant.

2. I am glad that Newman has a chance to play - as he is likely to play well against his former side- and he needs to because he has been (IMO) very out of form for at least two games now and (might I add) is more likely to play well with Sad and Williams in teh side than not.

3. I am not a medical person - all I know is that (IMO) it is no accident that Saad was injured at the same time two years in a row now ( interesting that no one has made the connection which is pretty obvious to those who are less culturally deprived) and that his run and smarts have been sorely missed - the quicker he gets back the better and he should only get back when he is right to go.

Carlton is a much stronger rebound team with Saad, Williams playing and a much stronger midfield mix with Cerra on board. Don't know what is going on with Cuningham but I'd like him playing ahead of a couple of blokes who haven't laid an open field tackle - ever and lack the footy bains to even know to stay out of the way of the talls in marking contests.

When all of Saad/Williams/Martin/Cerra and Fogarty are back and fit and firing - Carlton will be able to better execute its game plan- Closest to being able to win a flag the team has been in teh 20 years Ive been watching this brand of football.

I gave and I took on board the comments, and then gave some more, all while too many of the same posters mock and refute without genuine rebuttal. The midfield needs to improve... are we removing Walsh, Cerra, Hewett or Cripps instead?

They're all prolific when fit (which they MOSTLY are), but need an athletic type so they aren't arguably the slowest midfield in the AFL despite Cripps and Hewett having solid acceleration off the mark. Just a smidge of variety to buy space that we cannot otherwise find in matches.

The outside mids are basically doing the bulk of the defending in open midfield, and are doing it well enough, but are supported by Cottrell who gets lost in that phase.

I'd rather have us continue to put time into Carroll, and to get some additional outside speed into the team. We've given two rucks a go and TDK is doing OK, but Pittonet isn't really significantly outperforming TDK's rucking efforts despite having improved this year, and is now on the wane, while McKay's form has also been patchy without the extra touches.

Last year we brought in Dow, finally gave Fogarty a suitable role once fit, and tried to go single ruck and went on one of the greatest run of games we've seen this club produce in the last 30 years, then we started reversing course with the GWS game and tried to headbutt our way through 3 finals before collapsing against Brisbane.

We went back to the mobility focus at the start of this year and looked solid despite our clearance numbers being down - a normal outcome when you sit back on the counter as we were - but now we're back to the same old slog that cannot be sustained.

I want a sustainable brand of football that buys us a little space to breathe and plan for September, so that we're actually capable of showing up for prelims and grand finals. That's my 'agenda', and I genuinely believe there are too many egos getting in the way of a constructive plan for that.

I respect what you're doing ODN, and I have respect for what My Hat is saying and is trying to pull me up on, but your combined approach towards me is very much in the minority, simply because I challenge a status quo that has us still playing like a mid-table team.

My comments are not easily dismissed, or people would just coast past them without any reaction.

Last night was a slightly different situation, but should have not been so poorly managed in terms of the absurd work rate of the first quarter and a half. We are a mature team, and we should have the ability to navigate that better at every level of planning and execution.

Anyway, those are the team changes I'd like to see, hopefully we make some strides.

On the other hand people don’t react to your agenda bias toward Pitto and Kennedy.

You trot out the same changes week in week out regardless of performance and the only thing that changes is your justification for your bias.

The notion that you’re some how clearly seeing things that other “cheerleaders” are missing reeks.

Flogging a dead horse shuts down proper dialogue just the same.

I can’t speak for others Jim but I often skim over your posts about Pitto and Kennedy because despite evidence of their contribution to the team you seem to think it’s cool to be contrary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it just me or is our draw this year an actual nightmare?

I decided to play with the ladder predictor and marked a couple losses against tough sides while thinking "its ok we'll have a good run of low sides soon"... yet it didnt seem to happen until really late with Kangas/Hawks (i think) b2b.

Its like every 2nd week we play Cats/Pies/Power

We're paying the price for a high ladder finish last year, of course - and we've been unlucky in some ways. Sadly, our "softest" run has probably already been and gone (Rounds 1-5 including bye... and we didn't even win them all). Otherwise, as you say, it's the last three rounds... hopefully we're not too far off the pace by then!

Top six: We did get three duplicated opponents (Collingwood, Port and GWS), whereas some of our peers only got two. That sucks, but what also sucks is our run with the singles - we got both Brisbane AND Sydney away, when ideally one of those would have been a home game. At least they're both out of the way by mid-May. Obviously Port will be very tough over there.

Bottom six: Bit of a square-up here, in fairness to the AFL. Our two duplicated opponents (noting that some of our peers only got one) are Richmond and North, which is about as good as we could have hoped for, the way 2024 is turning out. Banking the two remaining wins there will help us a lot, and keeps our travel down.

Middle six: We only have one duplicated opponent, but to cop Geelong was nasty for us - the only way it could have been worse would have been if their home game was at GMHBA. I think we had a minor win getting Fremantle for Gather Round (even though we're good in Perth). But that was the least the AFL could do, after shafting us last year!

For me Binns has to play and not be sub.
He was talking from a cricket viewpoint, but I remember Dean Jones saying once you have to pick batsmen when they're in form. No use leaving them at shield level after they keep scoring centuries, only to bring them in after they've only scored a couple of 30s.
Binns is in good form. Finding heaps of the footy. Must play.
On the flip side, Durdin has to go. Whilst a marginal improvement on last week - he at least had a couple of good handballs that resulted in goals, he has been offering virtually nothing in all areas.
Binns in for Cerra
If they can't find a replaement for Durdin, he is sub and we pray we don't cop an early injury.
Personally, I'd rather see DC or Moir in the 23 though.

Thought Ollie had close to his best game. Got more involved, found more the footy but he is total lack of awareness is a major worry for me. I don't think its an experience thing. You either got it or you don't and he don't.

He was talking from a cricket viewpoint, but I remember Dean Jones saying once you have to pick batsmen when they're in form. No use leaving them at shield level after they keep scoring centuries, only to bring them in after they've only scored a couple of 30s.
On the flip side, Durdin has to go. Whilst a marginal improvement on last week - he at least had a couple of good handballs that resulted in goals, he has been offering virtually nothing in all areas.
Binns in for Cerra
If they can't find a replaement for Durdin, he is sub and we pray we don't cop an early injury.

Thought Ollie had close to his best game. Got more involved, found more the footy but he is total lack of awareness is a major worry for me. I don't think its an experience thing. You either got it or you don't and he don't.

I think Ollie is genuinely 100% aware of where tacklers are. The awareness he lacks is around how his disposal takes an eternity. Never seen hand to foot take so long. ALWAY gets tackled mid disposal.

I like our side with Cincota in there. Cowan will eventually make way for Saad and Marchy and Kemp will be fighting it out for a spot.

Starting to settle and let’s Weiters plays to his strength.

Durdin, Cowan and Ollie are the most susceptible with cattle returning. Durdin will be going out for Motlop once Mots is fit, or Voss may be inclined to bring Fantasia in after a productive stint in the twos.

Ollie should have a stint in the twos. On paper the numbers look great but far too often was oblivious and caught HTB or just wasn’t sticking tackles. He has a bright future but in tight games like Thursday I’m not confident that he executes quickly and efficiently under pressure.

Binns in for Cerra

Binns could only take Ollies spot. Think they will persevere with Ollie, but I could be wrong.
Corey will be replaced by Motts in a couple of weeks, until then he plays imo.
Jack Carroll is the one they bring in for Cerra, like for like and keep team balance.

Binns could only take Ollies spot. Think they will persevere with Ollie, but I could be wrong.
Corey will be replaced by Motts in a couple of weeks, until then he plays imo.
Jack Carroll is the one they bring in for Cerra, like for like and keep team balance.
I think Binns can play on ball at afl level. Part time atleast and a wing rotation. The club thinks similarly. He could come in for Cerra.

I think Binns can play on ball at afl level. Part time atleast and a wing rotation. The club thinks similarly. He could come in for Cerra.
Replacing 88 kilo Cerra, or thereabouts. With 74 kilo Binns, or thereabouts. Is interesting, they could do it. Yet M.C. will be mindful of the smaller SCG and Vossy does love his big bodied inside mids.

I did watch

I thought he worked really hard to be an outlet, mainly very wide, mostly non dangerous areas. But you can only take the space afforded to you

Many of his disposals were very short and to non threatening areas

Think he needs to start coming in board a little more and or trying to break defensive zones with run and more long kicking

Seems a real hard worker, so I believe he will continue to develop well
Just finished watching the replay and paid particular attention to Binns.

That's not quite how I saw it. He took the short option early but adjusted after half-time. His disposals were effective and tidy.

At VFL level, he looks uncannily like a young(er) Sam Walsh, in his wingman days. He's covering the ground 20% quicker than anyone else, getting from contest to contest, and always providing an outlet, whether wide or ahead of the ball in transition. He plays his role very well and is as disciplined as anyone on the list.

He played predominantly midfield in the last and won a few clearances.

His lack of pace and poor lateral movement might see him caught out at AFL level. Also very slight and even at VFL level doesn't always stick his tackles.

Hollands has improved since a very ordinary start to the season. Solid against GWS, very poor against the Cats and rightly rested/dropped. The week off helped as he was running over the ground whereas previously he looked to be labouring. People are focusing too much getting caught in traffic - looked terrible and cost us, but the rest of his game was in much better shape. I'd back him in to get that part right.

Unfortunately for Binns, not sure he comes in just yet and only going to get harder with players returning from fitness. He's competing for a spot for Ollie and Ollie deserves to keep his spot against the Swans. Can see Binns coming in before the bye if Ollie regresses or to give him a rest (Ollie definitely seems to be benefit from the occasional week off).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replacing 88 kilo Cerra, or thereabouts. With 74 kilo Binns, or thereabouts. Is interesting, they could do it. Yet M.C. will be mindful of the smaller SCG and Vossy does love his big bodied inside mids.

I'd be very surprised if Binns came in.

The club might believe he could play in the middle, but I don't believe they think it would be now

Coming in to rotate with Acres and Illie, maybe, but still think it's unlikely at the moment

I like our side with Cincota in there. Cowan will eventually make way for Saad and Marchy and Kemp will be fighting it out for a spot.

Starting to settle and let’s Weiters plays to his strength.

Durdin, Cowan and Ollie are the most susceptible with cattle returning. Durdin will be going out for Motlop once Mots is fit, or Voss may be inclined to bring Fantasia in after a productive stint in the twos.

Ollie should have a stint in the twos. On paper the numbers look great but far too often was oblivious and caught HTB or just wasn’t sticking tackles. He has a bright future but in tight games like Thursday I’m not confident that he executes quickly and efficiently under pressure.
The problem with sending Ollie to VFL is that the lower level and slower speed will mean that he's not getting caught.

I think he's got to work through it at full speed.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would look at bringing in Binns for Durdin and play him as a forward.
Binns has pace and is lively, my concern is that it is not his natural position and he is slight of frame.
He expresses a nervous energy that could result in goals or nothing at all.
Not much different in output then to what Durdin is currently providing.

Cerra went off with Hamstring “tightness” Don’t think it’s an issue but very possible will miss this week as precaution
I noticed after the match he had no ice on it. Thanks for the update

I agree. Reckon the smaller ground gives us the opportunity to play a more contested and congested brand of footy. Think Hewett remains the replacement for Cerra and someone replaces Hewett.

Reckon we go like this

McGovern Weitering Newman
Boyd Kemp Williams
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands Curnow Cottrell
Owies McKay DeKoning
Pittonet Walsh Hewett
Cincotta Carroll Kennedy Martin
Motlop

IN: Williams Motlop Carroll
OUT: Cowan Durdin Cerra

Not sure on the Motlop one, probably comes back via the VFL but if not then sub is fine, would replace Durdin. Williams for Cowan is a given. Carroll for Cerra is likely.

Binns had a big game in the VFL but I don't think he comes in. The rest I wouldn't consider.

Round 10Fri 17 May 7:40pmSwansSCG
L 4060
Round 11Sat 25 May 1:45pmSunsMarvel Stadium
W 80 20
Round 12Thu 30 May 7:00pmPowerAdelaide Oval
L 40 60
Round 13Sun 9 Jun 7:20pmBombersMCG
W 60 40
Round 15Fri 21 Jun 7:40pmCatsMCG
- 50 50
Round 16Fri 28 Jun 12:00pmTigersMCG
W 80 20
Round 17Fri 5 Jul 12:00pmGiantsENGIE Stadium
L 40 60
Round 18Fri 12 Jul 12:00pmBulldogsMarvel Stadium
W 60 40
Round 19Fri 19 Jul 12:00pmKangaroosMarvel Stadium
W 90 10
Round 20Fri 26 Jul 12:00pmPowerMarvel Stadium
W 60 40
Round 21Fri 2 Aug 12:00pmMagpiesMCG
-50 50
Round 22Fri 9 Aug 12:00pmHawksMCG
W 80 20
Round 23Fri 16 Aug 12:00pmEaglesOptus Stadium
W 80 20
Round 24Fri 23 Aug 12:00pmSaintsMarvel Stadium
W 70 30
9 wins in games we should start favourites to make it to 15 wins, 3 likely losses away to swans, power, gws with games against the cats and pies to decide if we make top 4.

We only play 2 top 8 sides in our last 7 games, if we can upset the swans/power it will allow us drop a game late has to be the aim to allow for a freshen before finals.

McKay is the only forward who could possibly go with the lizards speed…
Cottrell maybe if his near enough, we unfortunately don’t possess anyone midfield or forward that can match his speed when he goes on one of his runs…
We’ll need to try and apply some type of strategy/tactic in limiting him before he gets outside into space…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back