Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

With Williams being potentially available, I would let him get some confidence and run through the 2s, he looked really off it for the last couple of weeks. I would be filthy if we dropped Cincotta for him. Cinc has been fantastic and defends much more efficiently.

More than likely Cowan for Zac.

Cinc to Papley and shut that little menace down IMO.

Who for Pitto as surely he can't play same week has finger surgery?

.......... Thinking we may play only one ruck and bring in one of either Carroll, Marchy or Binns.

The three best in the VFL last week, one deserves to be elevated .

Thinking Carroll as best option V Sydney's raft of mid-sized runners.

Last edited:
Isn't the groin just a front glute??? 🤣
He is gluten free apparently :p

Seriously though I truly believe our best is THE BEST.

When our manic pressure is on and our attacking handball/sharing, overlap running game is up and about we are unstoppable.

Problem is we have only seen it in bursts so far this year.

First quarter last week, first Q v Pies , a good portion of the GWS game and Rd 0 v Brizzy .

We need a four-quarter performance of these samples and we win.... simple.

If we can do what port did with Stewart by playing a defensive forward taking him out of the play to the lizard will go a long way to us winning the game.

The question is who has the pace and nouse to do so.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Won’t happen because Voss is too rigid, but I’d love to see Kemp deployed in this role, particularly with Saad, Williams and possibly Marchbank all available. Similar height, pace, strength and aerial ability.

Has the added bonus of actually being a defender, as well as being a naturally attacking player.

Won’t happen because Voss is too rigid, but I’d love to see Kemp deployed in this role, particularly with Saad, Williams and possibly Marchbank all available. Similar height, pace, strength and aerial ability.

Has the added bonus of actually being a defender, as well as being a naturally attacking player.

Would never use Kemp in that type of role

I think he needs some continuity in his game

Blakey can worry about TDK or Charlie or Harry - the advantage Carlton hss in the forward line is height and athleticism in the contest.

The advantage Sydney has in the midfield is at the margin leg speed which is useful if they can get first hands to the ball - they will have to do that a lot more than any other side has been able to in order to win that part of the contest.

Down back the defensive mix worked well enough to more than contain Melbourne until mid game injuries changed the matchups and balance of the game.

I'm relaxed about the contest all over the park - and would be very confident if not for the likely absence of Pittonet/ Saad/Cerra in the mix.

So Has Pittonet been ruled out yet ? was mentioned on the board that he was, Swans def got tall forwards so be interesting to see if Weiters takes Mclean or Mcdonald as big blokes or just plays the deepest.

Obviously there are pro’s and con’s but I actually think Harry should be the match for the Lizard. H is probably the only player we have who could keep up with him and it’ll make Blakey accountable on a very good opponent.
More cons than pros. Definitely do not want Harry playing defensive forward chasing at full speed to the oppositions 50s multiple times a qtr.

Also, while he might be able to match him for top speed Blakey is much more agile and side to side quick. He'd lose him in 4 steps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the different dynamic the Swans bring. It would be a challenge to play a largely negating game as they have so many weapons. Only a couple could be considered stars, but when it comes off, it is the sum of parts.

Grundy only playing 75-80% game time in the ruck. Supported by a couple, mostly McLean who is a very under rated player. Amartey can chop out in the ruck as well. McLean, Amartey and Logan McDonald all play 70-80% game time and are all solid talls capable of hitting the scoreboard. If there is a game where we could add Marchbank to Weiters, Gov and Kempy, this is it. However, they have smaller forwards who can hurt us as well.

Hayward is in a purple patch if form and Papley is always a threat. Heeney still dangerous forward, despite playing predominantly midfield this year. Wicks and more recently Jordon make up the forward mix, while Warner and Gulden are both goalkicking mids. Then there is the prospect of a ravenous Luke Parker entering the mix after some dominant games in their reserves after injury.

Their Achilles heel is at the source. They have changed it up very well Heeney is on fire, Warner and Rowbottom have moved up from promising to reliable. Adams is a solid addition and Gulden is playing as much inside as wing these days. As mentioned Parker could be a very hungry addition and has been a great mid for a decade. Let them get hands on the ball and we will pay, but we have the midfield to cut them off at the source. Cripps and Walsh will be the two best genuine midfielders on the ground, despite the season Heeney is enjoying.

Somebody, likely Chugga, needs to play accountable for Heeney, and we need contingencies for Gulden and Warner, but should not go negative as Plan A. Make them chase us. Attack is the best form of defence.

Florent has become a rebounding weapon of late so probably demands accountability from Durdin or Cotts. Cotts or Ollie would seem the best options to run with Gulden if it becomes necessary. He would gas anyone else except Acres who plays a little differently, or Cincotta if we changed up his role. Might I throw up that Acres could be an option to run with Heeney, having the strength and smarts to play him all over the ground. Perhaps Binns gets a surprise gig playing pure wing to allow that, although I would expect Williams to come in if Cez misses. Cowan hasn’t done a lot wrong to be left out, but has had a block of games and will definitely make way when Saad is back. Cincotta is going to be hard to move from a spot back there. I also expect Carroll to get another block of games in the near future so would not rule him out.

The selection squeeze will be on. Horses for courses and/or rotations surely become a thing. Saad, Motlop and Fogarty soon to join Marchbank, Martin, Cuningham and of course Cerra and Williams as possible selections. Hopefully Pitto only misses a game or two with the finger surgery, especially with break glass O’Keeffe sustaining a hammy at training. TDK is going to be critical for a couple of weeks. Who backs him up.? Do we simply use Harry, or leave him as a forward threat and have Kennedy and Cripps doing the chop out?

Fogarty rumoured early return?

Always found the round 11 reassessment timeline weird. That would be 6 weeks out even if he came back in round 11.

Most fractured wrists that don't require surgery are around 2-4 weeks and there have been no reports of him needing surgery.

Based on that would not be shocked if he returned early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back