Preview 2024 Rd 4 (Gather Round) Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday April 6 - 4.20PM (AEDT) @ Adelaide Oval - Team stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Brodie Kemp
OUT: Caleb Marchbank (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Corey DurdinMatthew OwiesMatthew Cottrell
Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLachlan Cowan

I really like the idea of Young. Allows Weitering to play more third up role and allow for intercepting etc and I like Weiterings kicking. I’d like to see him play a more Tom Stewart type role

Young can play lockdown on KPF.

I’d also like to see Kemp developed more as a Fwd/Ruck doing Silvagnis role this year. I don’t believe Kemp is a natural defender

With Young, Durdin, McGovern, Marchbank, Weitering we have enough taller defenders at the moment

Great idea…

Weitering rolling off his player as third up and 1st receiver would mean his kicking would be deeper and more penetrating because of momentum. Scary thought!

Kemp for Marchbank
Binns for Ollie

Ollie had a great last quarter against the Lions but apart from that the last 2 games he seems to be struggling to run out. Had 2 and 3 touches each second half. Not sure but he may be carrying something as he's obviously an elite runner.

Kemp was in our best yesterday in the VFL, was also stiff to be dropped in the first place. He comes straight back in.

And if Motlop is ready? Give him a run in the VFL.

Marchbank goes for Kemp.

I'd bring in Motlop and Cunningham if available. Fantasia & Durdin out.

Assume Walsh not ready. Martin who knows.

Cottrell on notice. Unsighted today.

I can’t see why we would make any changes other than the one likely forced change due to injury being Kemp for Marchbank.

Motlop might come back as the sub replacing Fanta but IMO is far more likely to need a VFL game given he’s been out for a while.

Durdin did more in yesterday’s game than Cuningham has done for a while, besides DC has a calf injury, so given his history I doubt we will be rushing him back in.

I also doubt Cottrell will be in the gun this week or any time soon as his possession count is irrelevant and IMO he is playing his role in the team.

Walsh and Martin come back when they are ready likely in a couple weeks time. They won’t be rushed back in as the club don’t do that sort of thing anymore.

Have to say am a bit disappointed with TDK so far this year. Still below average hit out win rate and hit outs to advantage. Same for ground ball gets which is a shock. Only 13 touches a game. Only one goal so far. I think he’s part of the reason why we’ve lost our edge at the contest (plus JC is just not at the level of the others obviously).

I can’t agree with that Windows1. I reckon he has been great. He is starting to throw his weight around the contest as evidenced with his clearances and tackles increasing. I think he has played well in all 3 of our games so far this year. I am really looking forward to his contest with Jackson next game as I reckon these 2 will be the best ruckmen in the competition in the years to come.

Not for me. He plays on the best so he is in the play. They have to play through him.

Plenty of times already teams without good forwards try and play around him and get his opponent to take him away from the play

It's not broken. It doesn't need fixing.

Sorry but this makes no sense to me. What have we won? We are also one of the worst teams for scores from defensive 50.

Last years Grand Finalists had Andrews & Moore as their Key defenders and both played the 3rd man up role. Lions play Payne and Pies played Frampton on KPF. Neither are stars. Stewart the year before. Sam Taylor for GWS is brilliant at it

The modern game is so much run from defence and intercepting ball coming in. McGovern is okay at it, so is Kemp. Marchbank Young aren't.

Weitering is a one grab mark and a beautful pentrating kick. Yesterday playing one on one he played like he should and spoiled the ball to a 50/50 contest. As a third man up he could intercept 10 times a game and that creates instant attack

IMO Weitering is a Star and could be so much more if we got the ball in his hand more often.

Anyway, that's my theory

Last edited:
Alex Pearce made Walker look like an absolute has-been last night - Curnow will be a very different proposition for him.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Cottrell playing a defensive role on Ryan.

Still terrified we’ll get cut up for pace in the midfield, but the Oval is a smaller ground so the contested boys should do well.

Hopefully can finally watch a victory at AO this year (haven’t missed a game there, maybe it’s me?)

Sorry but this makes no sense to me. What have we won? We are also one of the worst teams for scores from defensive 50.

Last years Grand Finalists had Andrews & Moore as their Key defenders and both played the 3rd man up role. Lions play Payne and Pies played Frampton on KPF. Neither are stars. Stewart the year before. Sam Taylor for GWS is brilliant at it

The modern game is so much run from defence and intercepting ball coming in. McGovern is okay at it, so is Kemp. Marchbank Young aren't.

Weitering is a one grab mark and a beautful kick. Yesterday playing one on one he played like he should and spoiled the ball to a 50/50 contest. As a third man up he could intercept 10 times a game and that creates instant attack

IMO Weitering is a Star and could be so much more if we got the ball in his hand more often.

Anyway, that's my theory
Carlton have used Weitering to cover up for gross mismanagement as far as finding a reliable big bodied stopper goes. Simple as that. Where Weitering would for Carlton a better Stewart/Lever/Moore- we have wasted his talent forcing him to be a 'just' a stopper in the main.

That has been my opinion from the get go - since Bolton decided to repurpose Weitering into a big bodied stopper - in favour of Marchbank - absolutely ridiculous fail in my books. We are lucky the club forked out pick 8 for Saad and it looks like McGovern and Williams may play more than they wont - fingers crossed - and Newman has developed into a really smart capable player.

Weitering is a one grab mark and a beautful pentrating kick. Yesterday playing one on one he played like he should and spoiled the ball to a 50/50 contest. As a third man up he could intercept 10 times a game and that creates instant attack

Anyway, that's my theory
He was much better in that area of the game in the second half of 23, even without Young in the side. Still played accountable but took it upon himself to intercept and attack the ball more. Marchbank, Gov and Kemp give him the luxury to.

Good idea in theory to have someone else take the dangerous KPF, but Young isn't it. Incredibly frustrating footballer who destabilizes the defence with his lack of predictability. Most pleasing thing re having Weiters back for me is how much more care he takes with his spoils. Young, erratic spoils generally straight up the corridor, or plops it one metre either side of the contest. Weitering kills the ball every time, either over the boundary or through for a behind.

Wouldn't mind a look at Durdin if he can get an extended run at it in the 2s.

Anyway, that's my theory
Moore and Stewart are much more mobile than Weitering - which enables them to create on offence and have greater coverage on defence. Weiters unfortunately does not have that speed.

Moore and Stewart are much more mobile than Weitering - which enables them to create on offence and have greater coverage on defence. Weiters unfortunately does not have that speed.
Exactly this. It's like wanting to turn May into Moore - he wouldn't have the pace to do it as successfully and he's already Steven May so why would you want to change that anyway?

Plus in Weitering's case he's not a complete dickhead so he has that over May too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering has had to put on the body weight to play as a stopper- simple as that - he had enough leg speed to be an excellent swing man / forward if people can remember that far back - Weitering is a generational talent good enough to play AA standard in any position he is asked to - that is my view one of the very few players with a genuine football brain on the list.

Alex Pearce made Walker look like an absolute has-been last night - Curnow will be a very different proposition for him.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Cottrell playing a defensive role on Ryan.

Still terrified we’ll get cut up for pace in the midfield, but the Oval is a smaller ground so the contested boys should do well.

Hopefully can finally watch a victory at AO this year (haven’t missed a game there, maybe it’s me?)

Walker looks like his back is stuffed so he might not be the player he once was, a fit and firing McKay will be a challenge on a whole different level, as I suspect Pearce will almost certainly get McKay (as he has the last few times we have played them).

Since Logue left Fremantle don’t really have a match up for Charlie, not that many clubs really do, so it might be Charlie’s turn to get off the chain…the beauty of the two headed monster forward line…and a reminder of why Kane Corn should never be a list manager!!!

Anyway, that's my theory
Shame Young can’t just be that stopper at FB, with Weitering playing CHB, intercepting & using his kicking.

I’m sure that’s what the club had hoped of Young.

McGovern is great by foot, as is Saad, Newman, Williams & Boyd.

We’re just lacking a big defensive FB.

Shame Young can’t just be that stopper at FB, with Weitering playing CHB, intercepting & using his kicking.

I’m sure that’s what the club had hoped of Young.

McGovern is great by foot, as is Saad, Newman, Williams & Boyd.

We’re just lacking a big defensive FB.

It’s why I very disappointed Durdin can’t get consistency. He is an excellent one on one defender and is calm and assured. Would compliment Weiters perfectly

It’s why I very disappointed Durdin can’t get consistency. He is an excellent one on one defender and is calm and assured. Would compliment Weiters perfectly
There’s time for that to happen.

There’s a lot of upside to come from our team clearly.

Great to bank a 50+ point win playing sporadic footy.

More good moments yesterday - great to have Weiters back - but let the oppo score too easily playing behind us.

Building nicely.

Weitering has had to put on the body weight to play as a stopper- simple as that - he had enough leg speed to be an excellent swing man / forward if people can remember that far back - Weitering is a generational talent good enough to play AA standard in any position he is asked to - that is my view one of the very few players with a genuine football brain on the list.

One of the knocks on Weitering as a junior was his lack of foot speed to keep up with players on the lead. His one on one ability was his strength. Weitering has never been quick since he walked in the door. He's just got elite judgement and gets to contests.

Last edited:
One on the knocks on Weitering as a junior was his lack of foot speed to keep up with players on the lead. His one on one ability was his strength. Weitering has never been quick since he walked in the door. He's just got elite judgement and gets to contests.
100% not quick at all but his smarts and ball use make up for it

One on the knocks on Weitering as a junior was his lack of foot speed to keep up with players on the lead. His one on one ability was his strength. Weitering has never been quick since he walked in the door. He's just got elite judgement and gets to contests.

I wouldn't describe him as slow though - even carrying 10 kilos more than he should be.

There’s time for that to happen.

There’s a lot of upside to come from our team clearly.

Great to bank a 50+ point win playing sporadic footy.

More good moments yesterday - great to have Weiters back - but let the oppo score too easily playing behind us.

Building nicely.

100%. We are doing well but I see a heap of upside in selection, structure and individual performance. I don’t think we are near our best yet

Anyway, that's my theory

Moore pretty much plays on the best forward every week (although doesnt usually pay much respect 😂) . Do does Taylor. So does May. All these guys are elite because they stop their man and intercept. If they can intercept and stop their man so can Weitering. In fact he was doing it better then any of them last year so don't see why we would change his role.

It's a misconception that alot of these guys are allowed to play free. They are just so good at reading the play that it looks like it.

The only one of the top key defenders who often doesn't take the best forward is Andrews. But they have Payne who is a really good key defender in his own right. Frampton actually played on Andrews in the grand final as a negator.

Carlton have used Weitering to cover up for gross mismanagement as far as finding a reliable big bodied stopper goes. Simple as that. Where Weitering would for Carlton a better Stewart/Lever/Moore- we have wasted his talent forcing him to be a 'just' a stopper in the main.

That has been my opinion from the get go - since Bolton decided to repurpose Weitering into a big bodied stopper - in favour of Marchbank - absolutely ridiculous fail in my books. We are lucky the club forked out pick 8 for Saad and it looks like McGovern and Williams may play more than they wont - fingers crossed - and Newman has developed into a really smart capable player.
Not disagreeing in that Weiters could be the best floating defender in the comp which may unlock some more offensive ability, but the best defender in the comp, Sam Taylor, plays the exact same role as Weiters does for us and has no issues impacting games. Neither does Weiters when he's up and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back