Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely f..... p.... atm but here's my thoughts on a few things. I've mentioned them a few times this year, even after wins.

1) Our ball movement is woeful, but there's no excuse for it. Even with our injuries we still have Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cripps, Pittonet and DeKoning (if the last two are on the ground at the same time). That's more than enough tall targets to be able to transition around the ground but imho the runners don't work hard enough to get to the right positions in those contests.

2) We can't keep using Cottrell the same way we are now. Defensive running is a great thing but we need to release the shackles so that he can use his speed and ball use in a more attacking way. No more of this "role player" bulls.... he's better than that.

3) One of either Boyd or Cincotta has to be used on a wing. We don't attack enough from Def side of centre/wing/off. It's always the safe, predictable option.
Boyd would probably be first choice because Cincotta has a stronger build for defence but he has played in the midfield in the VFL.

4) Sick of blaming injuries and poor umpiring.
Just close the gap between our best and worst.

5) I dgaf if Charlie wins the Coleman or not.
I give even less of a f... about Walsh or Cripps winning a Brownlow.
Show me premiership medals.

He was pissed … I’m no lip reader but he was saying something along the lines of move the f ball forward not back … another stage had his heads in his hands … I was thinking now he knows how we feel for the past 30 years
Yep lots of f bombs.. I’m afraid to watch his presser as he might return to the cliches again.

We just seem to be very unlucky with our three losses. I mean, Adelaide was losing everything but when they played us got back to their best. Collingwood exactly the same - playing their fast brand of footy again to perfection. And Geelong. Well, umm. Geelong has been consistently good so that loss wasn’t really unlucky except that we couldn’t kick straight enough.

So yeah, we’re actually awesome and just a tad unlucky with our timing meeting these teams in the fixture. Cheer up folks. The luck will turn. 🙃

Now let’s all enjoy what us Blues supporters are gonna cop from every media avenue possible on how s**t we are and how we're just not good enough. Im sick of being in this situation time a time again,its gut wrenching.
**** the media.

After we beat GWS we were world beaters according to them.

Now the story will change to the next narrative.

Be strong in YOUR mind - we have things to improve on, there is a way to go.

But we will be a finals side - with a big upside!

I’m not going scorched earth on this side, but on evidence we have seen we are just one of many capable sides with some clear deficiencies.

Main issues:
Unstable defence - 3 guys with less than 20 games down there plus Young. In hindsight we should have just bitten the bullet and copped the height difference and played Kemp. Young should be emergency backup only now.
Losing Doch hurt us but was offset by Williams back, but then we lose Saad and Gov too, it’s been too much to cover against quality opposition

Forever issue of lack of quality smalls - Owies I give a pass, Fantasia looks cooked and Durdin isn’t up to it currently. Badly missing Martin and Motlop.

Lack of run - Not playing Ollie Hollands who deserved to be dropped also meant we were a wing down. We really lacked outside run.

I think we need to reset expectations, I think we are a decent side but we need everyone fit and firing to beat the best. We have still been competitive but we are relying on pretty much all of Walsh, Cripps, McKay and Curnow to play out of their skins to win games at the moment.

I did predict we’d start season slow and it’s more likely than not we will be 5-5, but even then I wouldn’t slit my wrists and give up on the season, but there are clear things to work on.

I’m not convinced we have the best coaching or fitness staff around either.

Our players are good enough…

We just can’t defend, to a top 4 standard…

Half our players try defend a man the other half space… The results is pockets of empty space everywhere… Even if we flood the back half they still find pockets of empty space… But our forward half is always congested and contested..

I thought Charlie has an elite tank? So why tf is he always wrestling and/or playing behind?

Why?

WHY???!!!
Didn’t look right tonight I thought. Seemed slow and lumbering at times. Not sure if sore or what but didn’t have his usual agility I didn’t think

So a ball winner rather than watcher.

We weren't protecting a lead. We needed to win that contest.
45 points against from stoppage. 16th over the season. The way Walsh and co disrespect their opponents at stoppages is hurting us. Or did daicos have 17 contested and 7 clearances because hes just better than Walsh and Walsh did pay attention to his man? I think it's far more likely that Walsh (and others) are either see ball get ball and overcommitting numbers or cheating expecting someone else to win it before they've won it. Don't care 'that we had to win the ball' Would've won the ball back if he's there to tackle daicos or win the ground ball. Instead of collapsing in where we already have numbers.

"Jobu... I go to you. I stick up for you. And you no help me now... I say **** you Jobu. I do it myself."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I laughed a few times this week when people thought we would walk through Collingwood .. they won the premiership for a reason last year … they killed us and we were lucky the scores were even a minute to go … mckay played well but that last kick reminded me of Durdin in 2022 …. How many times did Hewitt go back into traffic and get caught and lots of our goals were against the play …
We need some speed .. we need curnow to get on his bike and how good was daicos.
Honest question was Williams ever any good at gws or did we buy potential ?? He cost us about 4-5 goald
Today plus the 4-5 last week
He is killing us. We are too slow with him and Cripps in there and the opposition are exploiting this. Voss needs to make the hard call. He needs to make a few hard calls on some of his pets.

Geez. Punches thrown in our bay tonight between Carlton and Collingwood supporters. Absolutely not on. It’s fine to be passionate.. but at the end of the day, it’s a game. Hate to see that behaviour. In the grand scheme of things, that’s is absolutely not worth it

Even in the MCC area obnoxious dickheads behind me both clubs supporters.

Terrible loss. Decision making & execution weren’t good enough. Beaten in a lot individual matchups. Never looked in control and always looked vulnerable. I don’t know where we’re at now and it’s been a bit of reality check. Last week I thought we lost it but tonight I think the pies definitely won it.

The aching painful doubt I have on top of this is….. is this us now?

If our team is built around a Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy/Cerra midfield…. Will it ever NOT be slow?

Does it require…. Not a knockdown rebuild…. But a MAJOR list renovation to fix?

I've been doubtful that our game plan is sustainable since the first final last year. We won a couple of finals ugly. We won early games this year ugly. I finally gave in and took the lid off against GWS, and we've lost both games since.

I don't trust these guys.

What a shit time to have our two biggest heart and soul players out for the season.

We’re playing our bottom 6, & 4 of them are in the back 50.

Is what it is.

Yep, with the side we have selected last 3 games we are relying on the midfield to make obliterate the oppositions for us to be able to win. We did that twice, and still only won once.

We are going to struggle until Gov and Saad are back.

I fear as forward coach, Jordan Russell is not going to endear himself again on these boards. Poor guy is cursed with us… we’re all cursed… John Elliot curse still hovers.

I've had a constant nagging doubt about this team for years now. They can look fantastic when the skills are on display and they move the ball. When the pressure is up, we look irrepressible.

However, against sides that match the pressure, we can look so bad on the turnover.

We have gone the endurance route with this side, but we still lack pace. It only takes Saad to be out to highlight this. You can bail yourself out with pace when all else fails.

In the midfield, we have zero pace amongst our genuine mids and only Cuningham offers a little, but he doesn't get his hands on the ball nearly enough. Up forward ... honestly, it's probably Durdin who has no idea where to position himself, and big H who have the wheels.

We are so vulnerable in this regard. Pounds to peanuts, we look for an endurance athlete with tidy foot skills in the national draft.
This was a watershed game, where the truth is revealed. In 2024, we are not good enough to win a flag. However, don't forget Voss pulled us of the bottom of the pile and has made us a factor

Don’t won’t to see young Fantasia or Durdin next week

Absolute liabilities…I would add Williams to that list but he’s injured so won’t see him for a few weeks

Is GOV available next week ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young 100% gone now, he’s untenable in the side now. Williams if injured goes out and Gov will be available, Kemp to come in too.

Very inexperienced defence being exposed by the best sides.

I think that the thing that has stood out to me over the past two weeks is a lack of composure, which should improve as we get some better players back into the team

That was a very disappointing result but it's not the end of our year, we will be much better towards the end of the year than we are now. This run of games was always going to be challenging all things considered.

Even more disappointing for me is to see people in this thread throwing terms like spuds around when referring to our players and saying that they hate the club. That's not being a supporter in my opinion, no matter how disappointed you're feeling.

I loved this club before this game and nothing has changed in that respect, it's the result that I hate.

Back