VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth in VFL is just so reassuring. I feel the list management team have done a great job in the last 12 months. Started at last years mid season draft where they recognised the need to strengthen the squad across all positions.

Thanks for everyone for the detailed VFL reports which I enjoy reading,
Not sure any of our MSD selections have really done a lot to bolster the overall squad.

Buller is running out of chances & Arnold hasn’t played.

Our VFL team has improved due to the better run with injury across the squad + the addition of a couple of draftees that are going ok.

Not sure any of our MSD selections have really done a lot to bolster the overall squad.

Our VFL team has improved due to the better run with injury across the squad + the addition of a couple of draftees that are going ok.
Disagree. Buller's inclusion was crucial for our structure 2nd half of last year, when the reserves were all over the shop. He was pretty decent too. Kicked a bag in his 2nd game, or maybe even debut. Yeah he needs to kick some more goals this year though, or he may get cut.

Arnold was pretty handy too last year. Solid without being amazing. Unfortunately haven't seen what a full pre season has done for him.

Buller is our only KPF outside of the seniors so he is definitely bolstering the squad. [I'm not counting Sam Reid because he's not currently available and won't be on our list next year.]

Arnold provides additional depth, which we needed. We lost Gould and Paddy Mac and we needed to replace them. Arnold is an incredibly hard worker (like Gulden & McLean level). He is also a qualified teacher and is putting his current injury enforced break to good use by assisting with coaching in the VFL. Not what we recruited him for, I'll grant you, but once he's fit he bolsters our depth. Unfortunately for him I think he's at real risk of being delisted come year's end with the arrival and emergence of Edwards and Snell.

IMO a healthier list and increased time playing together are the main drivers of our resurgence in the VFL.

More the intent to build a squad. Couldnt just let the VFL side be smashed. Then got some mature depth in positions we were beaten in last season (Adams, Hamling).

(Arnold played 10 for the Swans VFL last season - was in the best in 4. Averaged 6 marks and 5 rebounds).

More the intent to build a squad. Couldnt just let the VFL side be smashed. Then got some mature depth in positions we were beaten in last season (Adams, Hamling).

(Arnold played 10 for the Swans VFL last season - was in the best in 4. Averaged 6 marks and 5 rebounds).
I do understand that Arnold & Buller have both helped at VFL level (or at least they did last year).

But they are AFL listed players & unless an AFL listed player has a reasonable prospect of playing AFL, I think it’s a stretch to say they strengthen the overall squad.

They’re both decent quality VFL level players - so if your barometer is not getting belted in the VFL, then yes, they’ve been of some help (last year).

Its a bit like saying Sam Gray strengthened the squad. He might (?) have helped the kids, or he might (?) have occupied a list spot better used elsewhere.

I do understand that Arnold & Buller have both helped at VFL level (or at least they did last year).

But they are AFL listed players & unless an AFL listed player has a reasonable prospect of playing AFL, I think it’s a stretch to say they strengthen the overall squad.

They’re both decent quality VFL level players - so if your barometer is not getting belted in the VFL, then yes, they’ve been of some help (last year).

Its a bit like saying Sam Gray strengthened the squad. He might (?) have helped the kids, or he might (?) have occupied a list spot better used elsewhere.
And we have been so successful and using only 26 players for the season , 3 lower than anyone else.
Shades of 05 and 12 , so hard to get a go

VFL is a bit of a barometer for me yes.

Not many sides win a flag while getting belted in the VFL. Geelong always have a decent VFL side. Dont have to win it but cant be belted. Positional depth is important, not just about the player but creating high standards in all positions.

I dont like it when you have a bloke who knows hes guaranteed to be picked every week because nobody else can play in that position. Overall squad depth can lift the whole playing group.

And we have been so successful and using only 26 players for the season , 3 lower than anyone else.
Shades of 05 and 12 , so hard to get a go

Hamling looked better up forward than Buller.
If this experiment continues, does he eventually threaten Amartey’s spot?
Buller didn’t have a pre-season and when he finally got his body ready to test it out, the reserves had those double byes. Going to take a while for the guy to get some run into those legs and start playing some consistent footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Buller and Arnold strengthened our senior side. When we drafted them, we had ongoing injuries to our tall defenders and forwards. So I was happy that we drafted tall bigger bodied players that had possible upside.

It seems like we deliberately focused on having key position depth in our squad. I feel like we have been scarred by the impact of injuries in that area in previous seasons.

I feel Buller is closest to a McLean type of player. He is a big body who can compete for pack marks. But lacks mobility and speed so not going to be as effective chasing down loose balls and pressuring defenders. Arnold seems to have been unluckily injured so hard to say whether he would have been close to a debut this season.

I thought Buller and Arnold strengthened our senior side. When we drafted them, we had ongoing injuries to our tall defenders and forwards. So I was happy that we drafted mature bodies that had possible upside.

It seems like we deliberately focused on having key position depth in our squad. I feel like we have been scarred by the impact of injuries in that area in previous seasons.

I feel Buller is closest to a McLean type of player. He is a big body who can compete for pack marks. But lacks mobility and speed so not going to be as effective chasing down loose balls and pressuring defenders. Arnold seems to have been unluckily injured so hard to say whether he would have been close to a debut.
I saw a bit of Buller at Claremont before he was drafted & I have to say, I’ve been slightly disappointed since.

Last week wasn’t great conditions for key forwards (in fact it was terrible). However, once again I observed what appears to be a bit of a temperament issue - the frustration when things don’t go his way seems evident in his body language.

And I’m still not sure we know why he missed games earlier this year?

He is our only real KPF depth at the moment & I hope he has a good run at it for the remainder of the season. I’d just have hoped to see a bit more, particularly in the on-field demeanour side of things.

As an aside, I do disagree with your assertion that he lacks mobility. He’s actually pretty agile for a tall - which was evident in his time in the WAFL.

"Hamling, even young McAndrew, and Parker" all bring valuable experience in these tough situations.

Is it just me or is one of those players not like the others and that is a bit of a head scratcher?
I thought the same. For some reason McAndrew's name came out of his mouth without thinking too much about it I guess. Just one of those things.

He had a minor injury described as "soreness". Not sure if it was back or somewhere in the upper legs (e.g. quads or adductors or hamstrings). One was him and the other turned out to be half a season for Arnold. I think Arnold is meant to have a back issue so Buller must have had the upper leg issue.

Buller was also on the sidelines for much of the pre-season - not sure if it was the same issue or something different. So he might be underdone too.

I think Buller is very valuable depth. He's behind all those in the seniors but he could come in if required. Currently he's not exerting any pressure on their spots but hopefully he'll get his act together. I'm glad we have him in the squad. Sam Gray was a bit more mature and consistent but Buller's best has been better and his ceiling is much higher. Plus he is giving us depth in an area of need, and an area where it's hard to get good players.

And I’m still not sure we know why he missed games earlier this year?

The Lugger has the size, name and skills to be a cult figure. Cleary and Gus like feeding him as they look like Goliaths in comparison.
Funny, but where I grew up the district was full of Lugsdins. Many years ago (almost 60), I should add. I wonder if he's one of their descendants? They were mostly fairly short and stocky. Anyone know where his (great)grandparents came from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back