Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

TLDR we mastered autonomous ultra instinct.
When I am bored sometimes I think "what would it be like to have a super power but you can only use it for every day activities or your job?"

One time I was thinking: imagine if an AFL mid had Ultra Instinct and could just always get hands up to handball away cleanly, evade a tackle or make the perfect smother whenever they wanted to? BT would probably just claim they played basketball when they were younger

Or it'll be about Vic teams, we'll get a passing mention, and someone will bring up how lucky we are to have 17 players to have played every game or something.

That and "is it good to be playing so well this early?"

yeah, they started that on fox footy after the game, garry lyon i think
anything to keep alive the hope of someone other than the swans winning

Harsh to give Mclean only a C+. Thought he had a very good game, the role as forward/second ruck suits him so well
I think they get the work experience kid to do these

Harry stiff too … he played his role to a tee and capped it off with the team goal of the night!
Last night one of the commentators mentioned Cunningham (along with Florent & Wicks) as "role players."

It's a term I hate, because the implication is that some don't have roles to play, or are too good to be given a role. In reality, the reason the team is flying at the moment is because we have 22 guys playing THEIR role. And one is not more important than the other, and one cannot be successful without the other. Warner won the Goodes-O'Loughlin medal last night. By playing his role.

I'd honestly rather the commentators and media pundits just not insult our intelligence and instead come right out and say "some players are more boring than others and we're here for the guys who aren't boring." At the very least it would be honest.

Last night one of the commentators mentioned Cunningham (along with Florent & Wicks) as "role players."

It's a term I hate, because the implication is that some don't have roles to play, or are too good to be given a role. In reality, the reason the team is flying at the moment is because we have 22 guys playing THEIR role. And one is not more important than the other, and one cannot be successful without the other. Warner won the Goodes-O'Loughlin medal last night. By playing his role.

I'd honestly rather the commentators and media pundits just not insult our intelligence and instead come right out and say "some players are more boring than others and we're here for the guys who aren't boring." At the very least it would be honest.
While I get the gist of what you’re saying, clearly there are some players that are instructed to be more “role” focused than others e.g., last night JJ was instructed to wear Walsh like a glove, which he did, plus he was good enough to be damaging in offence as well. Ditto Harry with the opposition’s best small forward. Similarly someone like Wicksy may only have 8-10 touches but can still keep the coaching staff happy by doing what he does so well most weeks.

You’re right, technically every player has a role to play but clearly there are many players that are given more of a ‘free hand’ throughout the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exceptional article.
Absolutely agree, fantastic analysis. Fascinating that while our ability to run multiple options thru the centre is often hailed (including by Errol in his SEN interview) this article demonstrates that it's actually the consistency of those centre bounce attendees - Heeney/Rowie/Chad - that is our main strength. Which also highlights how unlikely it is that Mills and Parker slot straight back into their former midfield roles.

And the stats on Heeney are jaw-dropping - on these numbers, he is the ultimate midfielder with an all round game that only the Bont or Petracca might match. And of course, fascinating analysis of the evolution of Grundy and the critical role he's playing.

Quite the best article on the Swans I've read in ages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back