List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 5 Jake Stringer, 6 Jack Macrae, 21 Nathan Hrovat, 49 Lachie Hunter, 50 Josh Prudden

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 4 Marcus Bontempelli, 42 Matt Fuller, 60 Mitch Honeychurch

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 26 Toby McLean, 27 Lukas Webb, 39 Declan Hamilton, 45 Bailey Dale, 46 Caleb Daniel

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 25 F/S Josh Dunkley, 26 Kieren Collins, 35 Marcus Adams, 48 Bailey Williams,

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 19 Tim English, 28 Pat Lipinski, 49 Lewis Young, 70 Fergus Greene

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 9 Aaron Naughton, 16 Ed Richards, 74 Callum Porter

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 10 (Academy pick) Nick Blakey, 25 James Rowbottom, 44 Justin McInerney, 51 Zac Foot,

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 5 Dylan Stephens, 26 Will Gould, 36 Elijah Taylor, 39 Chad Warner

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 4 Logan McDonald, 5 (Academy pick) Braeden Campbell, 32 (Academy pick) Errol Gulden,

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 18 Angus Sheldrick, 34 Matt Roberts, 40 Corey Warner, 58 Lachlan Rankin

I understand that Dalrymple didn't make all those calls in isolation, but it's still an interesting comparison.

Our obsession with managing our ruck stocks through the 2012-2014 period hampered our thinking around the draft, in my opinion, I always wonder if that was an over reaction to the years where we paid no respect to rucks. Got Hickey, turfed McEvoy. Got Longer, turfed Stanley. We seemed hell bent to trade for young rucks in years where there was reasonable talent available at the draft. Whoever was advising our draft needs in that space got it horribly wrong.

Grundy went at 18 in 2012, Toby Nankervis went at 35 in 2013, and Pittonet went at 50 in 2014.

I think a fair bit of doubling down instead of admitting that we'd stuffed up so chased older and more ready made options. Parker, Hind and Young in the draft ,mean you're not picking kids. Those types are real preseason draft or rookie list options.

It was already happening for most of a decade.
2002: Traded out Spider for pick 6, got Barry Brooks. Traded pick Pick 17 for Luke Penny, who had 1 good year.
2004: Traded out Heath Black, who we'd given up pick 17 for in 2001, ( so 2 years for us ) and got Aaron Fiora.
2005: Traded pick 17 for Fergus Watts.
2009: Traded pick 16 for Andrew Lovett and let Luke Ball walk to the draft rather than accept a second round pick.
Which were the Ross Lyon V1?

It was already happening for most of a decade.
2002: Traded out Spider for pick 6, got Barry Brooks. Traded pick Pick 17 for Luke Penny, who had 1 good year.
2004: Traded out Heath Black, who we'd given up pick 17 for in 2001, ( so 2 years for us ) and got Aaron Fiora.
2005: Traded pick 17 for Fergus Watts.
2009: Traded pick 16 for Andrew Lovett and let Luke Ball walk to the draft rather than accept a second round pick.
Took Luke ball over Judd.

I understand we need to look for elite midfielders at the draft but this kid has been doing well and is a tall forward kicking goals and who can also ruck. One to keep an eye on if he slips through outside the first round -

View attachment 1984836

I just had a look at our FS & NGA prospects they are all doing pretty well. See below -

View attachment 1984837
View attachment 1984838View attachment 1984840View attachment 1984841
I think Pickett is injured. Not in the team for the stingrays this week

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 5 Jake Stringer, 6 Jack Macrae, 21 Nathan Hrovat, 49 Lachie Hunter, 50 Josh Prudden

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 4 Marcus Bontempelli, 42 Matt Fuller, 60 Mitch Honeychurch

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 26 Toby McLean, 27 Lukas Webb, 39 Declan Hamilton, 45 Bailey Dale, 46 Caleb Daniel

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 25 F/S Josh Dunkley, 26 Kieren Collins, 35 Marcus Adams, 48 Bailey Williams,

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 19 Tim English, 28 Pat Lipinski, 49 Lewis Young, 70 Fergus Greene

Dalrymple (Bulldogs) took: 9 Aaron Naughton, 16 Ed Richards, 74 Callum Porter

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 10 (Academy pick) Nick Blakey, 25 James Rowbottom, 44 Justin McInerney, 51 Zac Foot,

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 5 Dylan Stephens, 26 Will Gould, 36 Elijah Taylor, 39 Chad Warner

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 4 Logan McDonald, 5 (Academy pick) Braeden Campbell, 32 (Academy pick) Errol Gulden,

Dalrymple (Sydney) took: 18 Angus Sheldrick, 34 Matt Roberts, 40 Corey Warner, 58 Lachlan Rankin

I understand that Dalrymple didn't make all those calls in isolation, but it's still an interesting comparison.

Our obsession with managing our ruck stocks through the 2012-2014 period hampered our thinking around the draft, in my opinion, I always wonder if that was an over reaction to the years where we paid no respect to rucks. Got Hickey, turfed McEvoy. Got Longer, turfed Stanley. We seemed hell bent to trade for young rucks in years where there was reasonable talent available at the draft. Whoever was advising our draft needs in that space got it horribly wrong.

Grundy went at 18 in 2012, Toby Nankervis went at 35 in 2013, and Pittonet went at 50 in 2014.
At Sydney Dalrymple snared Chad Warner @ pick 37…he has a great crystal ball!!

Visentini from Port has been pretty impressive for a young ruckman tonight.

Sandy boy from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been keen on him for a while now. Still think he’s gettable with Soldo and Sweet on the port list. Last year he was behind Lycett, Teakle and Hayes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I can gather from various threads it would seem Visentini is a fair way ahead of Moose. I know it's a pick 56 vs a rookie selection. In fact it seems the narrative recently on big Max is more that he won't make it than he will. Thoughts anyone?

From what I can gather from various threads it would seem Visentini is a fair way ahead of Moose. I know it's a pick 56 vs a rookie selection. In fact it seems the narrative recently on big Max is more that he won't make it than he will. Thoughts anyone?
Is it an issue of engine size?

Is it an issue of engine size?
I should clarify that I've never seen him play live and my question on his future stems mainly from reading this forum. But yeah his tank does seem to be the main knock on his progression. Big blokes take longer and all that but reading the thoughts of the Sandy track watchers he doesn't get to enough contests and more recently the jury seems out on his future. Hope I've got it wrong.

I should clarify that I've never seen him play live and my question on his future stems mainly from reading this forum. But yeah his tank does seem to be the main knock on his progression. Big blokes take longer and all that but reading the thoughts of the Sandy track watchers he doesn't get to enough contests and more recently the jury seems out on his future. Hope I've got it wrong.
The tea leaves are telling me the same thing for what it’s worth. With one exception…I thought he was reasonable in that hit out against the Bombers last year for where he was at.

Who is driving this narrative? From a personal perspective, I can see improvement with his work at training. His game sense is improving and he takes some impressive marks.
Ruck work still requires plenty of work.

We still have Tom Campbell for a reason though.
Not sure if he will make it but he does seem to be going forward? To AFL level though?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heath’s inability to cover the ground getting from contest to contest is a big issue!

Surely Heath doesn’t cost us much and worth persisting with and give him time to develop. Campbell will need replacing in the meantime. I do remember hearing the coaches had high praise for Moose

The guy has had more injuries than games played so that's surprising.

On one hand hoping he repays the faith we put in him, on the other, he's older and if other clubs are gonna pay him then power to him. I'll support him regardless of where he plays.
I would be incredibly surprised if he leaves.
If he stays injury free, he’ll get games.

I know loyalty is not always such a thing any more. But the Saints have shown plenty to him and I’d be staggered if he repaid that by leaving.

Everyone would agree that our midfield is shocking and remain the weakest in the competition. IMO midfields win games and finals and until we can start dominating in there we are going no where. Knowing that where or how do we find the required players? At some stage IMO we are going to need to attract elite talent and have some huge wins in identifying kids at the draft.

Or do we take some risks and trade out a marquee player like dare I say Max King? I just dont see King becoming the dominant forward he should and even when he does win plenty of the ball his kicking on goal remains ordinary. Its a huge risk I know but I think we are in a position where we need to take some risks if we are ever going to win the big one.

Everyone would agree that our midfield is shocking and remain the weakest in the competition. IMO midfields win games and finals and until we can start dominating in there we are going no where. Knowing that where or how do we find the required players? At some stage IMO we are going to need to attract elite talent and have some huge wins in identifying kids at the draft.

Or do we take some risks and trade out a marquee player like dare I say Max King? I just dont see King becoming the dominant forward he should and even when he does win plenty of the ball his kicking on goal remains ordinary. Its a huge risk I know but I think we are in a position where we need to take some risks if we are ever going to win the big one.
King’s problem is exaggerated by our poor midfield and atrocious forward entries. I’ve said this before, even prime Plugger, Dunstall and Ablett will struggle playing in this team.. We do not have a functional midfield, quality of our possessions and clearances are really poor compared to top teams. That’s why everything we do looks laboured, where other teams can move the ball, kick goals with ease.

Instead of trading King who I believe can be a dominating forward, i would trade Marshall and Howard.. If we’re getting a first round and 2nd round, we’d be laughing.. then go
1. trade for young mids not getting an opportunity in other teams
2. get an experienced body to help short term
3. Draft genuine mids
4. Trade in a underused youngish ruck from another team

The idea is to collect as many mids (older, youngish and 18 yo) in the next year or 2.. then see our team really improve.

Last edited:
King’s problem is exaggerated by our poor midfield and atrocious forward entries. I’ve said this before, even prime Plugger, Dunstall and Ablett will struggle playing in this team.. We do not have a functional midfield, quality of our possessions and clearances are really poor compared to top teams. That’s why everything we do looks laboured, where other teams can move the ball, kick goals with ease.

Instead of trading King who I believe can be a dominating forward, i would trade Marshall and Howard.. If we’re getting a first round and 2nd round, we’d be laughing.. then go
1. trade for young mids not getting an opportunity in other teams
2. get an experienced body to help short term
3. Draft genuine mids

The idea is to collect as many mids (older, youngish and 18 yo) in the next year or 2.. then see our team really improve.
Then in 2-3 years time, we can trade those mids for a half decent ruckman!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back