Remove this Banner Ad

Black forwards:
Lippa
Schultz
Beau
Elliott
Johnson
Checkers

That's clearly the first team forward group, so it looks like Ash Johnson has edged in front of Reef for the second key forward slot. I'm sure the game against Richmond will factor in too, but after looking like Reef was in the lead for most of pre-season, has he lost that Rd 0 spot to Ash Johnson?

That's clearly the first team forward group, so it looks like Ash Johnson has edged in front of Reef for the second key forward slot. I'm sure the game against Richmond will factor in too, but after looking like Reef was in the lead for most of pre-season, has he lost that Rd 0 spot to Ash Johnson?
They've both looked OK in the televised practice matches. Ash has looked more dangerous in long ball contests and thus looks like a better fit to replace McStay - Reef looks a better fit to replace Elliott's deep forward role. so with McStay out, I think AJ will get the first opportunity.

They've both looked OK in the televised practice matches. Ash has looked more dangerous in long ball contests and thus looks like a better fit to replace McStay - Reef looks a better fit to replace Elliott's deep forward role. so with McStay out, I think AJ will get the first opportunity.
I agree with this. Reef plays more the elliott deep forward role.
Unless they just have checkers do the heavy lifting up the ground and reef deeper. Either way. But Reef could be the long term elliott replacement (if he stays forward)

Copied from EBnW:

Subject: Pies trained at Torquay this morning

Sorry folks I only saw the tail end but here are some random observations

Dan McStay , Harry Di and Eyre
All did specific limited running type drills to specific instructions via three trainers
McStay
The bloke looks very strong in the upper body, arms and thighs
Two relatively fresh scars on his reconstructed knee.
He was doing mixed length run throughs with Harry ( who’s injured hand was in a glove ….he showed me his “ pinned” finger which was well protected )
Some 80+ meter runs at medium to slow paced runs in dead straight line
Some short 5 to 10 step then stop bursts at medium pace
Honestly looking at McStay ( and understanding that he won’t be rushed) he looks almost ready for Houston to announce “ we have lift off!”

By comparison for example , AJ looks pretty slim

Harry is just slightly shorter than Dan and a very athletic mover.
Position relative to build and mobility …..wing or HBF , but he is so young who knows what a season or two in the system might produce

Eyre
Tall enough to ruck at a pinch
Long armed and legged
Good frame
They had him doing either flat heeled knee lefts ( very built up runners) and a type of “ scissor” form of sideways …crab like walk at low to medium pace . Presumably this tests the hammy just enough laterally

I was interested to take a look at Parker ( who I read with interest “ makes time stand still “ !!!) , Sullivan ( multiple B and Fs at VFL ….but mate you can only beat “who’s there “!) Begg , and Murphy

All of these except Sullivan remained in a running group after the bulk had departed for the change room . Also running with this group were Finn, Billy E, and Reef

A succession of 120 + end to end runs with a requirement to run harder thru the middle

As it wore on Reef's initial athleticism waned and he lagged
Billy E is a powerful runner as is Parker
Finn is there and thereabouts endurance wise
Parker looked to me to be roughly Harry’s size . He must’ve been doing some work because he didn’t lag off compared to say Billy E and kept pace there

Begg and Murph ran together
Begg is considerably bigger and stronger looking
Murph wore a brimmed hat
I wondered whether they might try Begg in that Murphy role until his circumstances become clearer ….after all how careful can anyone be after a succession of concussions including two in one season ? ( the PP one and the GF)
While Frammers is the logical one he seems clueless in the body in body stakes …and those marks he missed in the GF …mate that’s what you are there for !

Others
Sully is these things….busy, strong looking and mature bodied .We won’t die wondering …he either will or will not fit the bill.
TJ …rangey and athletic
Richards..looks diminutive
Oleg was busy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Copied from EBnW:

Subject: Pies trained at Torquay this morning

Sorry folks I only saw the tail end but here are some random observations

Dan McStay , Harry Di and Eyre
All did specific limited running type drills to specific instructions via three trainers
McStay
The bloke looks very strong in the upper body, arms and thighs
Two relatively fresh scars on his reconstructed knee.
He was doing mixed length run throughs with Harry ( who’s injured hand was in a glove ….he showed me his “ pinned” finger which was well protected )
Some 80+ meter runs at medium to slow paced runs in dead straight line
Some short 5 to 10 step then stop bursts at medium pace
Honestly looking at McStay ( and understanding that he won’t be rushed) he looks almost ready for Houston to announce “ we have lift off!”

By comparison for example , AJ looks pretty slim

Harry is just slightly shorter than Dan and a very athletic mover.
Position relative to build and mobility …..wing or HBF , but he is so young who knows what a season or two in the system might produce

Eyre
Tall enough to ruck at a pinch
Long armed and legged
Good frame
They had him doing either flat heeled knee lefts ( very built up runners) and a type of “ scissor” form of sideways …crab like walk at low to medium pace . Presumably this tests the hammy just enough laterally

I was interested to take a look at Parker ( who I read with interest “ makes time stand still “ !!!) , Sullivan ( multiple B and Fs at VFL ….but mate you can only beat “who’s there “!) Begg , and Murphy

All of these except Sullivan remained in a running group after the bulk had departed for the change room . Also running with this group were Finn, Billy E, and Reef

A succession of 120 + end to end runs with a requirement to run harder thru the middle

As it wore on Reef's initial athleticism waned and he lagged
Billy E is a powerful runner as is Parker
Finn is there and thereabouts endurance wise
Parker looked to me to be roughly Harry’s size . He must’ve been doing some work because he didn’t lag off compared to say Billy E and kept pace there

Begg and Murph ran together
Begg is considerably bigger and stronger looking
Murph wore a brimmed hat
I wondered whether they might try Begg in that Murphy role until his circumstances become clearer ….after all how careful can anyone be after a succession of concussions including two in one season ? ( the PP one and the GF)
While Frammers is the logical one he seems clueless in the body in body stakes …and those marks he missed in the GF …mate that’s what you are there for !

Others
Sully is these things….busy, strong looking and mature bodied .We won’t die wondering …he either will or will not fit the bill.
TJ …rangey and athletic
Richards..looks diminutive
Oleg was busy
Wrong on frampton, his role in GF was to negate Andrews intercept marking and keep him honest, tick until the last quarter

Like trying begg down back. Hopefully not too late for him to have a decent crack at it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back