Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was only ruled out for preseason games though, haven’t seen any official announcement he’s out yet
Seriously doubt they’d play him cold turkey off the back of no contact for 2 months. He needs some match sim first.

He was only ruled out for preseason games though, haven’t seen any official announcement he’s out yet
He won't play R1. He's almost certainly out for R0.

The best indicator to see his future plans is to see whether or not he plays in the second VFL practice match against Port Melbourne. If he does, probably on track to return. If he doesn't, unlikely.

In general, it is very rare for a player to be a runner in both an intraclub and a practice match. At least at AFL level. Even for players on running duties this is not common.

If he has been medically cleared but is in a self-imposed holding pattern then one can only rationalise that Murph is seriously questioning his desire and/or mental ability to return. If he has expressed this verbally to the coaching staff then I doubt that someone like Fly would want someone in the team that isn't fully committed. This is not a slight on Murph or his character but I just can't see how he does a 180 on his attitude toward playing at the highest level (and all that that entails) and simply getting the nod from the match committee. I think there will be weeks of assessment (councelling and otherwise) to be gone through and in that time Muprph may simply assimmilate to the idea that he will no longer be pulling the jumper on. He may be offered an opporutinty in football department somewhere that makes that decision easier to make.
Just my musings.

If he has been medically cleared but is in a self-imposed holding pattern then one can only rationalise that Murph is seriously questioning his desire and/or mental ability to return. If he has expressed this verbally to the coaching staff then I doubt that someone like Fly would want someone in the team that isn't fully committed. This is not a slight on Murph or his character but I just can't see how he does a 180 on his attitude toward playing at the highest level (and all that that entails) and simply getting the nod from the match committee. I think there will be weeks of assessment (councelling and otherwise) to be gone through and in that time Muprph may simply assimmilate to the idea that he will no longer be pulling the jumper on. He may be offered an opporutinty in football department somewhere that makes that decision easier to make.
Just my musings.
I wonder of he's already let the club know that he's done and the club have offered him the opportunity to continue training as a way of helping him ease into the reality of his decision (and still having an opportunity to change his mind).

I wonder of he's already let the club know that he's done and the club have offered him the opportunity to continue training as a way of helping him ease into the reality of his decision (and still having an opportunity to change his mind).

As at the last update there were no setbacks with his recovery. and is just biding his time to be in the right mental space to return to competitive training and actual matches without second guessing himself.

Nothing has changed since then that the public has been advised of and speculation based on uneducated opinions is unhelpful.

He will have steps laid out for his return, presumably contact training the first of those, then some VFL. Unless he fails to take these steps then the assumption should be that his career is not over yet.

It would be tough mentally for Murph now. There is so much publicity and scrutiny on him now and he would have to be feeling some pressure around it even if he is physically ok.
Even if he gets a head knock that doesn’t result in a concussion it will still be back page news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be tough mentally for Murph now. There is so much publicity and scrutiny on him now and he would have to be feeling some pressure around it even if he is physically ok.
Even if he gets a head knock that doesn’t result in a concussion it will still be back page news.
Maybe. Or perhaps the publicity/scrutiny doesn't even bother him at all. These players are built differently.

Training update: March 5th.

Its the first session of the week, leading into Opening Round.

Pretty strong squad.

Rehab players:

• DeMattia
  • Kreuger
  • McStay & Eyre (these two made a brief appearance, then went back inside)

Harry and Kreuger did some running along the boundary, the former more so, as Kreuger deals with a hamstring injury.

Murphy started some contact work with drills, which was pleasing to see. I saw him late Monday night at the club, when the VFL boys were training and he went inside with a couple women. I wondered what he was doing there, but whatever it was, it was a good sign. Maybe getting the green light to start the next phase of his recovery.

He didnt do any match sim, but did a fair bit of contact drills. While the others did match play, he and Parker did some ball work, then did some running drills toward the end of training.

Parker was doing more drills than running, but not quite match play yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks. But he knows how to get involved in the play, and kinda demands the ball off half back. He had about 5 disposals in a couple seconds, fumbled one, but cleaned it up and got the ball back.

The teams were mixed, so there was no indication on selection. We'll know more on thursday, but these were the teams anyway.

Black:

• DC
  • Dean
  • Bytel
  • Reef
  • TJ
  • Mihocek
  • Moore
  • IQ
  • Beau
  • WHE
  • Hill
  • Cox
  • JDaicos
  • Pendles
  • Allan
  • Jordy
  • Sullivan
  • Richards

White:

• Carmichael
  • Steene
  • Mitchell
  • Macrae
  • Shultz
  • Beggy
  • Maynard
  • Lippa
  • Markov
  • Johnson
  • Harrison
  • Nick
  • Frampton
  • Ryan
  • Noble
  • Elliott
  • Sidey
  • Crisp

Howe was outside, and I thought he would complete the session no problem. He started to do the drills, then after that, he began some run throughs, which he didn't complete. Probably lasted a few mins, and they werent at fast pace or anything. Clearly his calf was bothering him, he then left the track and didn't come back out. It was seen as more unlikely he would play this week if he couldn't complete the session.

Pendles on the other hand, he looked fine. Completed the full session. Did some run throughs as well, so signs are positive on that front. Although his official test is thurs, but unless there is something that goes wrong, I expect he'll pass the test and play on Saturday.

For the first part of the session, I kept seeing this kid wearing #16, and kept thinking, who is the guy? It was Allan, but geez, it must be the new haircut because I barely recognised him. Even a friend who turned up mentioned... Geez, he looks like Draper lol He has cut his hair shorter.

Eyre stepping outside. Was briefly as he isn’t meant to be seen outdoors until next week.

c0cb451a57de43f2ff6e98104ed58d85.jpg

54849836bd6d6a9be4a9997e2ee89861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still not sure what the end goal is with Murph.

Like, I understand that he doesn't feel confident in himself to deal with any potential contact but like...there's going to be contact

He will suffer another concussion at some stage this year if he plays. It's just inevitable. I don't think anyone (let alone Collingwood supporters) would judge him if he decided to put his long term health before his playing career which has already achieved the pinnacle of any football career.

This whole situation seems bizarre to me.

Am I missing something here?

I'm still not sure what the end goal is with Murph.

Like, I understand that he doesn't feel confident in himself to deal with any potential contact but like...there's going to be contact

He will suffer another concussion at some stage this year if he plays. It's just inevitable. I don't think anyone (let alone Collingwood supporters) would judge him if he decided to put his long term health before his playing career which has already achieved the pinnacle of any football career.

This whole situation seems bizarre to me.

Am I missing something here?
He obviously wants to continue playing. And is asking for more time to build up his confidence.

He obviously wants to continue playing. And is asking for more time to build up his confidence.

I understand that. But he's quite literally one concussion away from retirement (and who knows what else, maybe worse).

I'm not sure what he stands to gain by taking such a risk with his health. Absolutely no one would begrudge him wanting to look out for his long term health and I have to wonder what kind of discussions are going on behind the scenes between our medical staff and Nathan.

I understand that. But he's quite literally one concussion away from retirement (and who knows what else, maybe worse).

I'm not sure what he stands to gain by taking such a risk with his health. Absolutely no one would begrudge him wanting to look out for his long term health and I have to wonder what kind of discussions are going on behind the scenes between our medical staff and Nathan.

Probably depends on whether the reason for him being not in full training is emotional or logical or a combination of the two.

The emotional aspect is blatantly obvious.
The logic aspect would be that he wants to finish a Grand Final and is willing to play on to try to have it, but is shortening his season and period of contact training thus reducing the chance of a concussion

Many players could be one concussion away from retirement. They all know the risks.

It's his career. His brain. If he wants to continue & I'm assuming he's had brain scans & they haven't delivered the results Brayshaw's did, then he's willing to give it another go and continue.

If he's wanting to build up his confidence and wants to continue, that's his perogative.

Not sure why other people can't just accept it and respect it.

Alternatively if he decides he can't, or he gets another knock and calls it quits, he'll know he gave himself every opportunity and that's also his choice. He's a grown man.

Probably depends on whether the reason for him being not in full training is emotional or logical or a combination of the two.

The emotional aspect is blatantly obvious.
The logic aspect would be that he wants to finish a Grand Final and is willing to play on to try to have it, but is shortening his season and period of contact training thus reducing the chance of a concussion

Maybe. Maybe it's the parent in me that's just concerned he's taking an unnecessary risk.

Many players could be one concussion away from retirement. They all know the risks.

It's his career. His brain. If he wants to continue & I'm assuming he's had brain scans & they haven't delivered the results Brayshaw's did, then he's willing to give it another go and continue.

If he's wanting to build up his confidence and wants to continue, that's his perogative.

Not sure why other people can't just accept it and respect it.

Alternatively if he decides he can't, or he gets another knock and calls it quits, he'll know he gave himself every opportunity and that's also his choice. He's a grown man.
I wonder if the AFL have made him sign some sort of waiver?, or are they even allowed to do that. There would a lot going on behind closed doors I would imagine. ATEOTD, it's his body and his choice and I'm sure the club is all over it. The guy is a gun defender and I would be very happy if he comes back and plays till he retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back