Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but I thought the club kept saying we'd be picking 2 and holding one pick for the mid season draft?

Or have things changed?
They did, before McStay did his knee. Everyone seems to be working on the assumption that we’ll take 3 now.

Hmm still think it might one too many in the mix given we also have frampton and Kreuger, with mcstay to return and possibly Eyre to pick up….. Cameron and Cox as premiership players….unless they think Teakle is the absolute pick of the bunch!
I don't think it's too many. We ran out last year and a fair chance Steene is not yet AFL relevant.

I don't think it's too many. We ran out last year and a fair chance Steene is not yet AFL relevant.
Except we didn’t run out because frampton proved to be more than adequate. And that was a stroke of bad luck to have three rucks all injured at the same time including Begg. In fact from memory mcstay might have been out of action at the same time too. But we didn’t miss a beat.

If we list teakle I’d assume that’s because the club really rates him highly despite arguably making the ruck division a little over staffed.

Sounds like a lot of tall timber if we do?

Surely if we take Teakle the club either already rates him above Begg and Steene, or alternatively is very confident one of Begg and Steene will succesfully be reinvented as a key position player?
I have only seen glimpses but think they are all a touch different. Begg is a mobile undersized ruck who might be a key defender. Steene is a ruck forward who needs time but surprised me with his leap. Teakle is more experienced I think he is a ruck/forward but appears more mobile and one who might suit our transitional play and could play further up the ground as a lead and mark target, Steene being more a clunk guy. Cox being 33 this year, Cameron 29 I think we need 2 young rucks to become trusted players and hope NBA thinks Alex Condon has a personality like Symmonds.

I have only seen glimpses but think they are all a touch different. Begg is a mobile undersized ruck who might be a key defender. Steene is a ruck forward who needs time but surprised me with his leap. Teakle is more experienced I think he is a ruck/forward but appears more mobile and one who might suit our transitional play and could play further up the ground as a lead and mark target, Steene being more a clunk guy. Cox being 33 this year, Cameron 29 I think we need 2 young rucks to become trusted players and hope NBA thinks Alex Condon has a personality like Symmonds.
Kinda what I’ve been saying/hoping. Some of these young rucks will need to develop as key forwards/defenders and hopefully that’s the strategy.

Definitely with an age gap between Cameron and the next genuine ruckman I can understand the club wanting to have a few options in terms of who’s next to step up.

Begg does sometimes play down back.
Or maybe they view him as depth before steene is ready? But he hasnt been playing much ruck this pre-season. They have more used him as another big marking man down forward that chips in at the ruck.
Cover for Mason. With McStay out they may like two ruckmen that can also provide a presence up forward.

Cameron is showing signs of returning to the marking form he exhibited a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Except we didn’t run out because frampton proved to be more than adequate. And that was a stroke of bad luck to have three rucks all injured at the same time including Begg. In fact from memory mcstay might have been out of action at the same time too. But we didn’t miss a beat.

If we list teakle I’d assume that’s because the club really rates him highly despite arguably making the ruck division a little over staffed.
Rucks get injured. Frampton needs to be settled into a position to become a senior player. Teakle probably just has to be ahead of Begg, Kreuger and Steene to get games next year.

My annual improvement post...
1. Lippa. If he brings 2022 form and improvement then great
2. De Goo. This bloke will be AA and more
3. I.Q. As great and brave as he is... he'll get better!
4. Bruz. New shoulder/new year... Bull
5. Billy. People underestimate how good he was last year. But will injury, youth and father time catch up...
6. Titch. He was a bull in the GF... he'll want another.
7. Jaicos. Copeland... set to go AA again and take the wing into the stratosphere
9. JfN. A burning hunger fiercer than a Guinness 12 pint fry up breakfast ... faster than the ensuring exit calamity of the fore mentioned.
10. Father time GOAT. That last quarter... there's your answer.
11. Dan 'Steve Austin ' quickest comeback since operation Goldensack
14. Darcy C. Flying higher than Joe Cocker with hands stickier than a lawyer for orange badman
15. Frederick K. Can he become the monster nightmare we all hope for?
16. Ed. By the end of the season he'll be known as Mr. ED and he will have a vaudeville show on subscription with Wilbur H.E
17. Frampton. Do you feel the way that I do? He'll improve. Believe!
18. Finn. There's something about this kids jaw line and his older brother.. gunna be a player.
21. Steene. Could be anything. Could be meh... another VFL year of improvement ahead.
22. Rusty. I thought he was gone in 21. Owns a wing and will run more than anyone
23. Norm Hill.. this bloke is only getting started.
24. Jakob. The flowing mullet will improve. He's only a kid.
25. Crisp. Games record in sight. Loves to run.
26. The great Barry. Can he be our next great FF? I for one think he has the talent..
28 Nathan. We all hope he never gets a knock again.
29. Joe. Seems to be improving. Coming from a long way back
30. Darcy. He was beat up in the end. A refreshed Moore is more Moore... please Sir... may we have Moore!
31. RamBeau. How high's his ceiling Mumma? 3 feet high and rising
32. Wilbur. Aka the running man.. job done almost every week
35. Naicos. Frightening how he will improve. May the greatest powers in the universe keep him injury free for evermore
36. HH. Yes he'll improve.. a young bull.
37. Oleg. The smiling assassin...
38. Howe. Can he bag another mark of the year? Yes he can Bob..
39. Begg. Yes improvement.
40. Ash. Inspiration from Bobby. Ash will be better!
41. Checkers . Such a warrior. I hope his body holds.
43. Charlie. This bloke just needs a clear run
45. Josh. Pivotal year...vfl or afl?
46. Coxy. He'll bring suitcases full of swagger.
So yes! Improvement again
Apologies on players I missed.
Flagpies 24

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSP’s get told on Saturday FWIW.

They would want to make tomorrow’s session a lasting one, even though the coaches probably have some idea which way they are leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They would want to make tomorrow’s session a lasting one, even though the coaches probably have some idea which way they are leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaches should know now anyway

For what it is worth:

Steene- 201cms and 87kgs- a solid mark who has the leap and tap-out skills to be a ruck back up (would need to put on some kgs this year as a part of his development
Kreuger- 196cms and 98kgs- is the logical McStay replacement if one only looked at someone who could crash packs. Simply needs to stay on the park to get AFL selection- this has proven problematic the past two years
Begg- 197cms and 99kgs- another with the physical attributes to play forward. I am bullish about his prospects as a key forward. He is mobile, a good mark and a knack for kicking goals. I see him as a future key forward type.
Teakle- 204 cms and 102kgs- The only call required here is IF the Magpies think that Teakle is better ruck depth behind Cox, Cameron and Frampton- and better than both Begg and Steene. I am not thinking that the 'Pies will overlook him, but offer him a VFL spot. He already has the physical attributes to play a very physical role in the team as a second ruck.
Eyre- 198cms and 90kgs- I think that if Eyre is listed by the Pies, he will see senior action relatively soon. His kicking is both lengthy and elite. He would be quite the weapon if entrusted with kick-in responsibilities. I think he is a certainty to be listed and, unlike those above, offers authentic tall depth in the back half...

Rucks get injured. Frampton needs to be settled into a position to become a senior player. Teakle probably just has to be ahead of Begg, Kreuger and Steene to get games next year.
That’s the question . He needs to be materially ahead as a ruck option of those three ( and frampton) otherwise perhaps it’s just more of the same.

My annual improvement post...
1. Lippa. If he brings 2022 form and improvement then great
2. De Goo. This bloke will be AA and more
3. I.Q. As great and brave as he is... he'll get better!
4. Bruz. New shoulder/new year... Bull
5. Billy. People underestimate how good he was last year. But will injury, youth and father time catch up...
6. Titch. He was a bull in the GF... he'll want another.
7. Jaicos. Copeland... set to go AA again and take the wing into the stratosphere
9. JfN. A burning hunger fiercer than a Guinness 12 pint fry up breakfast ... faster than the ensuring exit calamity of the fore mentioned.
10. Father time GOAT. That last quarter... there's your answer.
11. Dan 'Steve Austin ' quickest comeback since operation Goldensack
14. Darcy C. Flying higher than Joe Cocker with hands stickier than a lawyer for orange badman
15. Frederick K. Can he become the monster nightmare we all hope for?
16. Ed. By the end of the season he'll be known as Mr. ED and he will have a vaudeville show on subscription with Wilbur H.E
17. Frampton. Do you feel the way that I do? He'll improve. Believe!
18. Finn. There's something about this kids jaw line and his older brother.. gunna be a player.
21. Steene. Could be anything. Could be meh... another VFL year of improvement ahead.
22. Rusty. I thought he was gone in 21. Owns a wing and will run more than anyone
23. Norm Hill.. this bloke is only getting started.
24. Jakob. The flowing mullet will improve. He's only a kid.
25. Crisp. Games record in sight. Loves to run.
26. The great Barry. Can he be our next great FF? I for one think he has the talent..
28 Nathan. We all hope he never gets a knock again.
29. Joe. Seems to be improving. Coming from a long way back
30. Darcy. He was beat up in the end. A refreshed Moore is more Moore... please Sir... may we have Moore!
31. RamBeau. How high's his ceiling Mumma? 3 feet high and rising
32. Wilbur. Aka the running man.. job done almost every week
35. Naicos. Frightening how he will improve. May the greatest powers in the universe keep him injury free for evermore
36. HH. Yes he'll improve.. a young bull.
37. Oleg. The smiling assassin...
38. Howe. Can he bag another mark of the year? Yes he can Bob..
39. Begg. Yes improvement.
40. Ash. Inspiration from Bobby. Ash will be better!
41. Checkers . Such a warrior. I hope his body holds.
43. Charlie. This bloke just needs a clear run
45. Josh. Pivotal year...vfl or afl?
46. Coxy. He'll bring suitcases full of swagger.
So yes! Improvement again
Apologies on players I missed.
Flagpies 24
Great summary. Scary that we should get improvement from plenty but especially N & J Daicos and IQ.
Also interested you mention Dan McStay. Has anyone else thought that he seems to be fast tracking in his rehab?

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on why Reef got a dressing down? He is someone we need to make the next step this year…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back